Snatchy Showjumper

lisab

Visit site
Advice please.

My horse has a habit of snatching and putting himself wrong for the fence.
I've got him on a nice stride and set up for the fence and, a couple of strides out, he will snatch and lurch forward, so putting us wrong.

We end up in no-mans-land - too close to put in another stride but a bit too far off (he's not keen on standing off).

It's causing us to have unnecessary poles and the odd stop if I don't manage to keep hold of his head and get him in deep enough.

I've jumped him in a fench link 2 ring dutch gag ever since I've had him. I tried him in a 3 ring dutch gag on the bottom ring and, although he didn't snatch, I think it's too strong as when I sat up in front of a fence, he pulled himself up (didn't refuse - he was miles away - but I think it's too much leverage).

I've also tried a rubber pelham with roundings, which he hated and shook his head. And also a waterford 2 ring dutch gag, which he also hated and shook his head.

I've been recommended a sweet iron tom thumb but that is a very thin bit and he likes a thick one.

He's a sensitive soul and I don't want to upset him and/or curb his enthusiasm.

Alternatively, I could try riding my corners more strongly and kick him up into my hand more so I have more canter to balance with in front of the fence?

What do you think?

ellie_e

Visit site
I use a tomb thumb, its quiet a strong bit, but if your using a gag already?!... When you say snatch do you mean snatching the reins? I would ride corners well lots and lots of leg and hold him in your hand more!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I would ride him in his normal bit (french link 2 ring gag if I have it right) and when you are approaching the fence, slow down into walk, walk him up to the fence until his nose pokes over the pole. Make him halt and then rein back, so it becomes an exercise, not encouraging him to stop. Repeat this until he learns that snatching and rushing are not the best ways to jump a fence.

In addition to this, have you tried using placing poles to help him? :)

lisab

Visit site
I use a tomb thumb, its quiet a strong bit, but if your using a gag already?!... When you say snatch do you mean snatching the reins? I would ride corners well lots and lots of leg and hold him in your hand more!

Yes, he snatches the reins. It's like he's saying "Yes, we're going NOW!" and he does a little skip. Which is not very helpful when I've seen my stride and he goes and changes it. Silly moo.

I don't think my dutch gag is as strong as the tom thumb because it's a big fat bit with the french link in the middle (not fench as I originally typed!) and the tom thumb I saw at the saddlers is very thin.

I think you are right - lots of leg and hand.

Thank you.

lisab

Visit site
In addition to this, have you tried using placing poles to help him? :)

Yes, I've tried placing poles. And pulling up after the fence. In my lessons. But he's a bit of a smart-alec. He gets to know very quickly what you want him to do and anticipates it. He will then behave like an angel for a while but revert back to normal just when you think you've cracked it.

claire_p2001

asdexploitvangroenhove.weebly.com
Have you got any videos? Have you ever tried a hackamore? He won't be able to snatch if he has nothing in his mouth! Just a thought, I recently tried one on my boy as he had a sore mouth and he was lovely in it really soft and i had plenty of control.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Have you tried not 'seeing your stride ' atall? I try never to see a stride, just sit up and ride forward? When a horse is an established jumper they should be able too see their own stride. Maybe this is what he's trying to tell you?

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I would really recommend pulling him up in front of the fence, and making it into another exercise, so he never knows what might be expected of him. Might take a while for him to get it though! :)

lisab

Visit site
Haha now then Jenni, that is a bit radical for me!! I've spent years and thousands of pounds improving my stride eye. I hate it when I can't see it and it makes me panic. I take your point that he should see his own stride but the trouble is, he sees a very long one and that frightens him. He hates going off a long one so I have no idea why he puts himself there. I suppose I could try it in a lesson.

eventer0508

www.hayleywardeventing.weebly.com
I have a mare who is very snatchy in the SJ phase even to the extent of pulling a rein out of my hand last time out!

She hates thin bits and anything with poll action so I resorted to a D ring rubber snaffle which works fantastic for all 3 phases but for jumping I have to combine with a grackle to she doesn't cross her jaw and snatch the bit and run to the fence, she also has poles when she does this sometimes which is annoying! For some reason a flash sends her nuts!

I use a few exercises at home which help to keep her settled but other than that in the ring i keep a forward canter, make good use of my corners and make sure I have her as square to the fence as poss and have a light contact and just wait for her to get to the fence, she is however very bold and will go off long or short strides!

I use a small x pole at home to walk into and jog the last few steps then stop afterwards, turn around and repeat until she is happy and settled in doing this.

We then do lots of grid work with bounces and parallel spreads, v poles etc.. as well as trot & canter poles.

I also use a cross pole and jump it on a figure of 8, but if the canter isn't good circle and then carry on, if she does this well I normally make a spread of x poles which requires her to think more about the jump then what shes actually doing otherwise! I then increase the angle of the approach as she finds the exercise easier.

Will be interested to know what exercises help you with your horse, but trust yourself on the bitting/ nosebands as your the only one that truly knows your horse and knows what might work or not. Good luck its frustrating but worth it in the end! :) x

ellie_e

Visit site
I have a mare who is very snatchy in the SJ phase even to the extent of pulling a rein out of my hand last time out!

She hates thin bits and anything with poll action so I resorted to a D ring rubber snaffle which works fantastic for all 3 phases but for jumping I have to combine with a grackle to she doesn't cross her jaw and snatch the bit and run to the fence, she also has poles when she does this sometimes which is annoying! For some reason a flash sends her nuts!

I use a few exercises at home which help to keep her settled but other than that in the ring i keep a forward canter, make good use of my corners and make sure I have her as square to the fence as poss and have a light contact and just wait for her to get to the fence, she is however very bold and will go off long or short strides!

I use a small x pole at home to walk into and jog the last few steps then stop afterwards, turn around and repeat until she is happy and settled in doing this.

We then do lots of grid work with bounces and parallel spreads, v poles etc.. as well as trot & canter poles.

I also use a cross pole and jump it on a figure of 8, but if the canter isn't good circle and then carry on, if she does this well I normally make a spread of x poles which requires her to think more about the jump then what shes actually doing otherwise! I then increase the angle of the approach as she finds the exercise easier.

Will be interested to know what exercises help you with your horse, but trust yourself on the bitting/ nosebands as your the only one that truly knows your horse and knows what might work or not. Good luck its frustrating but worth it in the end! :) x

Yep I agree with this method, I dont like the idea of pulling them up before a fence as I think it encourages them to put in stops etc, id rather have a fence down than a stop personally. The figure of 8 is very good you can adjust your angle and stride accourdanly.
Good luck!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
See, I would rather have a careful horse who would stop every so often, rather than one who thinks the aim is a cricket score ;)

Stopping them in front of the fence and making it into an exercise, does not make an enthusiastic horse (as the one in the OP) into a stopper, imhe. :)

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
I have a very bold jumper who snatches and runs the last few strides, and pulling up in front of the fence definitely wouldn't turn her into a stopper, if I could manage it :eek:
I use three small fences side by side (more like this \_/ than this _ _ _) and as soon as she locks on to one, I ride for a different one. It stops her anticipating me and I can eventually get her cantering quietly over each one without firing herself at them.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
You have answered your own question ;)

Come round the corners stronger and in a better canter!

kickonchaps

Visit site
Different approach completely but is there a chance your horse could have ulcers? Going over a jump would mean a lovely slosh of acid over the ulcer/s, so if your horse is coming in nicely but things are falling to pieces as you arrive at the jump, he could be trying to get it over with, or losing focus because he's anticipating discomfort.

Might be worth letting him munch on grass/hay, or even better letting him have a few mouthfuls of lucerne chop, while you tack him up and seeing if it makes a difference :)

lisab

Visit site
Hi, thanks for your input.

An update...

I bit the bullet and tried the sweet-iron tom thumb bit with the rollers and an elastic curb chain. We did an Eventathon today (in a monsoon - lovely).

I really didn't like the look of the tom thumb, I thought it looked very severe, but Monsieur seems to love it. It is the one with the rolly bits in the middle. And an elastic curb chain. I thought the curb chain would make it stronger, but apparently, it makes it less severe, as the curb limits the rotation of the bit and so lessens the poll pressure.

He was really soft and light and didn't pull at all. Well, he did snatch a bit at the practice fence but, although he pulled, he didn't pull me forward and I was able to make him wait for the fence.

It was a real fun event - 6 show jumps in the arena then you jump out the arena over a brush fence onto the xc course for 12 fences.

I had total control and he was happy (I think he likes sucking it, he was very slobbery).

And we did a fab double clear and came third :D