Sneezing Spaniel

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'll be calling the vet on Monday because there's something else wrong with him too but the spaniel has been sneezing since yesterday evening. At first it was a big sneezing fit. Then it was a few little sneezes through the evening. Nothing noticeable overnight. A bit of sneezing this morning. As mad as usual on his walk at lunchtime but very sneezy afterwards. Then has been fine while drying in his crate but he's start just constantly doing sneeze-snerfs now for ages with the occasional big sneezes.... I've shone a torch up his nose. No redness, no discharge, nothing visible stuck.

He's fine in himself but this is a dog that was fine in himself until he pretty much collapsed from pneumonia a while ago.

The only thing we can think of is that he might have snorted a tiny amount curry powder that got dropped on the floor yesterday. We've not used any new cleaning products or anything. They have zero contact with other dogs and haven't even gone off the property for a few weeks so it can't we kennel cough can it?

Any thoughts? Is there anything I can do that will help?

We're phoning the vets on Monday because I he's got another thing going on that's really worrying me anyway.

{97702}

Visit site
Kennel cough maybe? That can show as sneezing sometimes (weirdly enough!)

Ooops sorry just re-read your post! Yes it still could be IMHO, kennel cough is downright weird how it can transmit...my lot all got it once despite zero contact with other dogs

PapaverFollis

Visit site
It'd be really bizarre if it was kennel cough. We don't even have many dogs nearby. There's a handful, literally 5 at most, that might walk past the front gate but all my guys have done is run in the back field so not even covered ground that other dogs have been on.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
The sneezing mostly stopped as he settled down for the evening. Still the occasional snirch though. Really weird. Breathing rate around 12-15 breaths per minute which is normal for him so no respiratory distress. Other dog is fine. I can't think how he would have got kennel cough or any transmissible disease. The only thing is we went into town for me to go to the dentists last week. We could have brought it back on our shoes. Or one of the passing dogs has breathed or coughed droplets 5 to 10 metres through the gate. Unless there is airborne transmission over a longer distance OR the cat has brought something in.

But my thinking is still a reaction to something in the environment. But can't think what.

millikins

Visit site
I took my poodle to the vets because of protracted sneezing, you have to take it seriously in dogs because it can be a sign of nasal cancer which is one that canines are at risk from. Mine ended up costing £500+ to have his sinuses x rayed and flushed, they never found anything but the sneezing stopped shortly afterwards.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
It's most likely something and nothing so I'm trying not to worry too much. I'll see what the vet says on Monday, as I say we need to take him in anyway. I suspect the most likely thing is that he's snorted some curry powder and it's cause some irritation. I just wondered if anyone knew anything else.

I did think about nasal cancer but I just think the way it came on suddenly with a big sneeze and has developed into small serfs was probably counter-indicative of that.

{97702}

Visit site
Now I lost a whippet from nasal cancer but I really wasn’t going to mention it at this stage..... fingers crossed it is something minor PF

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I am worried it is that but also think it would be presenting a bit differently so not hugely worried. We'll see. He's definitely sneezing and snerfing less today. We took them to the beach. Which is very naughty if it is kennel cough but actually we all just needed to get out and the beach was utterly deserted as it always is in winter and the tide was coming in. He had the best time and is definitely well in himself. He's only slightly slowed down in his older age. ?

Feeling sad but relatively philosophical about the possibility that this and the other thing might be bad news.

We'll see though I guess.