Snotty nose.... Xrays, scoping....

Dumbo

Visit site
My horse has had a very yellow gungy nose (one nostril) for nearly 2 weeks now. First thought nothing of it. Kept him in for a few days trying to keep him warm and dry but no change.
Yesterday the nostril was flowing like a tap; acid yellow snot.
So vet out today and says its either a tooth or sinus.
He needs to go in to the clinic for scoping and a head xray.

Now to figure out how i'll get him there without transport...!

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
Would it be possible to try him on a course of antibiotics first to see if that clears it? Would save a trip to the clinic. My mare had sinusitis and a course of antibiotics and Sputolosin cleared it up well, but I guess if it's tooth related then that wouldn't work.

Dumbo

Visit site
The vet offered antibiotics but said it would be a complete waste of time and money. It would get rid of the snot but as soon as he finished them, it is likely to come back and then they'd want him in to the clinic for checks.
Taking him to the clinic today. Quite worried :(

Dumbo

Visit site
Upper and lower airways inflammed and areas of infection. Got to wait for results of tracheal wash to know whether its primarily an infectious or inflammatory process. They also found soft tissue on the sinus which they believe to be a cyst. If the discharge persists they will need to investigate via sinoscopy (hole drilled into his head) :(
Xray showed all tooth roots as normal.

lelabell

Visit site
Least you are getting a diagnosis. So that's good.
I knew a horse that had serious sinusitis. He had loads of flushes but they didn't work. He eventually got a hole drilled in his chin and a square of bone drilled in his skull with "taps" in them so they stayed open. Everything flowed freely for a week or two and after that he was right as rain ... Just snored a little bit :)

Hopefully the wash will have done the trick :)

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
Poor chap. My vet discussed sinoscopy with me for my mare and reassured me it's not as awful as it sounds, and that the recovery is quite quick. What will they do about the cyst, will antibiotics shift it? At least you have an idea of what's going on and can deal with it. Hope all goes well.

Dumbo

Visit site
Results of tracheal wash show he doesn't have an infection :) he's been living out which seems to have helped the snot drain out. Just got to keep an eye on it and if it returns, then he'll have the soft tissue investigated! But didn't need antibiotics!

Casey76

Visit site
It just shows how different vets' opinions differ. When my lad had a foul smelling disharge from one nostril, the vet said "sinusitis or cracked/infected tooth" but gave me 2 weeks of antibiotics to take before thinking of scoping or xraying.

As it was, the infection cleared up with the antibiotics, and he never did have a head xray or scope.

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
That's good news, Dumbo! There seems to be a lot of similar type things around at the moment, judging by the posts on here - I wonder if the pollen is particularly bad this year and is causing these kind of symptoms? My mare was much better on the recent rainy days, no snot or cough at all, which makes me suspect pollen. Glad your horse is ok!