Snuggy Hood sizing? *pics*

Blizzard

Visit site
My horses are WB x Hippo and as a result are mud monsters! So Im going to buy some turnout hoods to make my life easier.

But Im not sure what size to get, Ive looked on their sizing guide but cant decide between XL and XXL. The XXL just says 'anything huge'
tongue.gif
which isnt very specific, so was wondering if anyone can advise how they come up size wise.

first horse is only 16.2hh, but my problem is he has a huge neck, so was wondering if the XL would be right for him? He is a 6ft 9 in rugs so not a dinky 16.2 either...I dont want the hood to be too tight
confused.gif

This is him so you cans see his neck size:

Image2-13.jpg

My other horse is a 17.3hh and he is still filling out, he has a bit of a poor neck tbh, but obv with his size again i dont want it to be too small. and XL says up to 17.2hh? This is him, much skinnier neck:

n682419044_1504072_7017-1.jpg

Would appreciate it if anyone who uses them can advise, are they quite stretchy? Just dont want to spend all that money to put on once or twice and realise they are too small/big. Thanks!

merlinsquest

Visit site
Mine is a large and merlin is only 15.1hh welsh d x

His is baggy round the neck which is not a problem for fit. I would not want it to be any shorter on the poll to wither measurement though as I think it would be too short then.

I originally bought him a M/L but felt it was a bit too 'snug' a fit.

If you fone them they are sooooo helpful.... I rang yesterday with a query and they couldnt have been nicer...... I was told that it didnt matter that it was baggy round the neck as it should all be kept in place by the band that goes round the belly.

Blizzard

Visit site
Thanks for that! Yeah it was the bagginess or tightness I was worried about, espec with Lance having such a huge neck, and Beau having the opposite problem!
I will give them a ring.
smile.gif

merlinsquest

Visit site
No worries... It was an answer fone when I called on Friday but they called me back really quickly
smile.gif

Maybe measure from poll to withers and round widest part of the neck, or be at yard with tape measure when you call..... although I suspect they will be able to tell you straight away what size you need
smile.gif

merlinsquest

Visit site
I peeled merlins off this morning and all I had to brush was his girth area and round his eyeballs....... I would suggest you have ears on them as I find that the mud even gets inside there
frown.gif
I sewed mine on myself though as didnt know this till too late
frown.gif

I dont brush his legs much in the winter as I worry about any little scrapes from the brushes will develope into mudfever..... he has four white socks and lives out 24/7 so that would be a disaster for me
smile.gif

And his tail, well that wont get brushed till about march!!!!

Blizzard

Visit site
LOL mine live out too all year round, and tail cleaning consists of lashings of baby oil so the mud doesnt stick too much, and short tails!

Thanks for the tip regarding the ears! Mine like to give themselves mud masks so that is good to know!
smile.gif

Joss

Visit site
I tried an XL Snuggy Hood on my lad who is 17HH WB X & it was way too big in every direction so it might fit your horse. I had tried an L last year & it was too tight over his shoulders (when he put his head down the belly strap cut into the elbows) So I have had given up BUT I then realised that the L I tried last year was from Dress Circle so probably different sizing to Snuggy Hoods......

So I might try an L in Snuggy Hoods but now a bit fed up of paying postage to return them & I am still not convinced about leaving a horse turned out in a hood for any length of time in case it slips or he rubs on the fence & gets caught up so still brushing the mud off..........

Theresa_F

Visit site
They are really helpful and you can also give measurements and they will advise on the best fit.

Tails - very easy, wash, plait and pop in a tailbag that folds from tailgator - forget for 2 weeks, brush, plait and repeat.

End of winter the tail is in wonderful condition and if you have a black tail, clean enough to go showing without washing.