Snuggy Hoods Sweet Itch rugs?

_daisy_

Visit site
are they worth the money?
any bad points to them?

am looking at this as a possibility for my haflinger as it seems to tick all the boxes for protection

Izzwizz

Visit site
The Rambo Sweetitch Hoodies are well worth the money. Friend has 3 for her horse and they have washed and worn extremely well. Look like new when she washes and they work. You can also now get a waterproof liner which attaches to the underside of them so if it rains your horse doesnt get soaked.

_daisy_

Visit site
ive got and had a sweet itch hoody on her already including the liner but unfortunately it has rubbed her shoulders and the neck is too long that she manages to get the ears off her head and rubs like mad :( it works wonders on the welsh D though so had hoped it would work on her, real shame it doesnt

Weezy

Visit site
Pony on my yard has one - it is sooo thick and hot, he is very fine skinned but he does sweat in it if worn on the hot days. It is also a rigmarole to put it on/take it off. Unlike the other poster's friend, hers deteriorated quite quickly too and looks really tatty now. She also has a Mark Todd and it is far preferable.

welshied

Visit site
I have a snuggy hood on my welsh d it has reduced his itching a lot however this is his first year of wearing it started end of march and it is already snagged and got a little hole in it but he is only 3 and has ripped four rugs this year so don't let that put you off lol
I wouldn't turn him out without it now

welshied

Visit site
I have to agree he does get really sweaty in it when its realyy hot and he has to go out in a bog standard fly rug

_daisy_

Visit site
cheers Weezy, shes also been out in a mark todd combo silver rug and not only has she done loads of damage to herself in this than the rambo she sweated up badly on the hot days - to be honest though with the high temperatures i doubt she wouldnt sweat in any other rug. it has rubbed all her sides :( and as it doesnt have any part to cover her face/ears she has started to rub these again.

_daisy_

Visit site
thanks for this, tbh im not too worried about her ripping it as she hasnt done much damage to other rugs shes had on in the time ive had her including the other 2 fly/si rugs. the rugs have definitely lessened her rubbing but the areas she can get to she rubs badly and makes herself bleed.
are they really thick material?
what colour do you have?
does the colour affect temperature do you think?
just that I was looking at ordering a beige one but it says on their website there is a 3-4wk wait

welshied

Visit site
Well when hes wearing his he doesn't rub at all its just when i give him a 5 min breather from it when in his stable. The materials isn't too thick its just where the neck and the body over lap each other that they sweat as it is twice as thick but i always say i think he'd sooner be sweaty the itching non stop.
I have navu and that was because there was such a long wait for the beige i don't think it makes that much difference really

_daisy_

Visit site
thanks for that. i may see if i can find a beige one on line but if not have to see what other colours they have in stock for immediate despatch.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
The thing that puts me of Snuggy Hoods is they're made of lyra (I think) and I used a lycra hoody on my man, NEVER AGAIN! He somehow got all tangled up in it and it came down over his eyes to the extent he was standing up in the field with it all over his eyes, bless him. So I'd never use anything made of lycra again - I think there was some posts on H&H a while ago about this so worth a search.

I use the Pessoa Sweet Itch hoody - brill - lots of room (you might need to order one size smaller); and a Premier Equine sweet itch hoody (cheap and cheerful but does the job).

Last year I bought a Pagony which is supposed to be a cheapy version of the Boett - don't bother! The quality was naff, the stitching came undone as it was only a single seam like you'd do in your sewing machine, and there was a strappy/elastic thing which basically held the hood on, and mine somehow got his foot tied up in that and after that wouldn't let anyone near him with it coz it has to go on over his head, a right pallaver.

lannerch

Visit site
I have tried a lot of the sweetitch rugs on the market over the years. demulenkamp, boett, rambo, fal and found the snuggy hoods the best followed by the demulenkamp, and boett which were equal, the fal did not fit and the rambo did not cover enough of my horse ( he gets very bad sweetitch ).

I like the design of the snuggy hoods the fact the hood neck is totally seperate to the rug, which means if one gets badly ripped you only need to replace that part, although snuggy hoods do offer an excellant repair service which is competitively priced.

I did not find my horse sweated in it any more than the others and infact found he sweeted in the rambo most although my real problem with the rambo was it did not cover as much off him, so depends on how bad your horses sweetitich is.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Our clydesdale and gypsy cob wear them and don't seem to sweat any more in them than they would without a rug on.

However, I don't often use the hoods as they have very long manes and would get hot under a hood, plus I have the feeling that after a while they would rub the manes. I do use them before a show to keep them clean overnight and if the midges are very bad.

Chancer's rug on its second year is in perfect condition. Farra's one has had to have a couple of repairs and it maybe her but it seems not quite as well made. Her one also slips back a bit as it is a bit big for her. Both have no rubs and they wear them 24 x 7 from May to mid September and they have never slipped or given any trouble.

What for me is the life saver is the sheath and udder covers. Without it Chancer will rub his belly bare in a day and until he wore this would have scabs and sores areas on his belly and sheath. Farra would get very sore boobs and her outie belly button bleeding.

With the bodies on, they are far happier in the field. I do take them off each day to get some air to their skin, often putting my two in the indoor school so the midges don't get to them whilst having their naked time.

They are quick and easy to wash, I put them on damp as they soon dry out. I have the dark brown ones, though they have faded a fair bit so are now light brown.

I would buy them again.

OliveOyl

Visit site
I've just bought one for my mare as she needed an extensive tummy cover as her main problem was sitting up like a dog in the field scratching her belly. Since she's been wearing her snuggy hood rug with udder cover she hasn't done it at all, so it's doing it's job well. None of the other rugs that I know of will do covers from back to front underneath?

Andalusianlover

Visit site
I have the Snuggy Hoods Sweet-itch full set and its absolutely brilliant. My horse is very happy in it, doesnt itch at all; you would never know he has sweetitch! I can thoroughly recommend them.

diesel1981

ammanford
my mare has SI bad!, have tried Boett, Snuggy, Fal etc..the Rambo is by far the best, my black ID doesnt sweat or anything and they are so hardwearing, if you buy a snuggy altho they are good, you'll need to electric fence your horse of so there is absolutely no where 4 him/her to rub as the rugs rip, only thing i've found with the Rambo is that the ears sometimes dont fit, so i snip the corners of the ear holes and the ears go thru lovely lol Would definatly go 4 the rambo, premier equine SI rug is also great ;)

Last edited: