SO ANGRY!! - advice needed

Benefice1

Visit site
Could you not put up some temporary fencing until you can do it properly? I know it's a pain but just some plastic posts and some electric tape would do the job and not take long. Doesn't have to be brilliant but would hopefully deter her.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Also another thing I should point out her animals are not on there 24/7 she keeps them in her own field but lets them out onto our land during the day when we are not there. My OH caught her the other day and a friend rang me this morning to tell me she was on there again.

If there's not fence there currently, how does she keep her horses in it? I would put up some electric fencing meantime, then she would actually have to physically take it down to get her horses in which is seriously pushing it. I would also put a poster up saying you've weedkilled it...

Otherwise, I'd be knocking on her door and asking her what she's doing. You have now paid for this land so she has no right to use it anymore (doesn't sound like she ever did). I wouldn't pussyfoot around, just tell her straight to stop going on it! It's a shame if you have to fall out with a neighbouring person but it sounds like she'd be annoying anyway to be honest!

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I understand why you are so upset, but have also met her "type" before.

To me it is easy, she is taking every last bit of "free grazing" she can before you fence the field. She probably feels a sense of entitlement, after all you are not eating the grass (NOT my view, but I am sure it will be hers).

If her horses are off the field at night the there is no long term problem. I like that idea of spraying, in fact if it has been grazed by a freeloader then it will probably be a bit weed ridden anyway, and you won't want to spray while your horses are on.

I would quit "clearing" and get fencing now. Once it is fenced that is that. I bet if you use electric and an energiser it will go missing.... so I guess you need more permanent fencing or nothing...

If you can't cope with this then I would leave it with the landowner, perhaps this is not the land for you.

Personally I would be livid, freeloaders don't poo pick and rarely worm effectively!

I reckon if you get on with fencing and spraying, then put your horses out then there will be a truce. I would not aggravate her as I would be afraid she would meddle with my horses.

3OldPonies

Visit site
I like the "weedkiller" suggestion - while you get fencing in place to keep her out. Or one day when her horses aren't there whip a length of electric fencing across (with a big energiser she can't reach mwhaha lol)

Some people you just gotta outwit :)

Love, love, love this idea - I'd probably do this. But then I would probably start one almighty argument as well (me not always being the shy retiring type.)

Gallop_Away

Visit site
The trouble is often you need to clear to get the fencing in, I know we did.

Ye thats the thing. We cant just fence it. We need to clear the brambles and overgrown trees so that we can fence the boundry correctly. Plus we are waiting for the guy who's fencing it to give us a date that he can start.

Thank you all for your help. Im going to try and speak to the landowner and Ive also contacted the local council for some advice just in case. Im going to try and bite my tounge for the sake of the peace as this field is otherwise perfect for us and I certainly dont want my horses or fencing messed with.
Lets just hope we get it fenced asap then we can stop worrying.

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Quick option then - couple of rolls of barbed wire (easily strained with claw hammer) and some cheap chestnut posts along the side she is accessing along the lane.
2 strands along the boundary and bobs your aunties uncle, should be possible to do that this Saturday :)

WelshD

Visit site
The grass will grow quickly at this time of year and hopefully you have many happy years there ahead

I'd let it go, be seen as the reasonable one until the point (if it happens) where she really causes you issues and then complain about her, choose your battles.

Don't start your tenancy with a complaint if you can possibly avoid it

In a few weeks hopefully none of this will matter

happyclappy

Visit site
Sorry, I have skipped some answers, I think you may need to give her a months written notice, after which you can act to remove the horses. Hope the problem is resolve quickly and easily

rowan666

Visit site
ide try the weedkiller idea, failing that ide report her for fly grazing although you do need to notify landowner of the problem. If her horses are grazing in an unfenced field surely thats some kind of health and safety issue incase they wondered onto the road. Tbh though i dont think i would want to leave my horses unsupervised while there is a person with such questionable charecter living nxt door and would save myself the hassle and just rent somewhere else

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I would certainly tell the landlord that you have a problem and that you plan to approach the neighbour, tell her you are spraying etc so they know what is going on.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
If neither her or the landowner has put a fence along the boundary then of course her horses re going to stray onto your field. It doesn't sound quite the same as illegally using a field. Try and get the fencing contractor to give you a date ASAP, on that day chase her horses back onto the other side and get the fence. Hopefully that is job done. If she starts cutting fences it is a completely different kettle of fish.

My land and the neighbour's land had been rented out to a sheep farmer before I moved here. The fence between the land had been taken down, so initially I couldn't turn my horses out without them getting out, and the cows on the neighbours farm got onto ours. It was all solved bŷ fencing.

Gallop_Away

Visit site
our field isnt fenced but hers is with a track inbetween. So its not a case of her horses being able to wander freely from her field onto ours. Shes letting them out of her field and turning them out onto ours.

Gallop_Away

Visit site
The grass will grow quickly at this time of year and hopefully you have many happy years there ahead

I'd let it go, be seen as the reasonable one until the point (if it happens) where she really causes you issues and then complain about her, choose your battles.

Don't start your tenancy with a complaint if you can possibly avoid it

In a few weeks hopefully none of this will matter

I think youre right welshie. Its so frustrating when someone is walking all over you but maybe for the sake of the peace we should grit our teeth for the next few weeks and then once its fenced it wont be an issue

Cobiau Cymreig Wyllt

Visit site
I think youre right welshie. Its so frustrating when someone is walking all over you but maybe for the sake of the peace we should grit our teeth for the next few weeks and then once its fenced it wont be an issue
^^this and what WelshD said....
If the field is perfect you really don't want to spoil a happy future for the sake of someone currently taking the pee but who won't be able to once you've fenced...and who will still be your neighbour.....trust me, a land war with a neighbour can be the ugliest thing going and will ruin your enjoyment of your horses...best not to go there...let her have the grass for now, it's the beginning of the growing season. Yes she's taking the pee and if you find you have issues with her later down the line, then is the time to be firmer, but right now...I'd let it go. Honestly, I speak from grim and bitter experience.

springtime1331

Visit site
^^this and what WelshD said....
If the field is perfect you really don't want to spoil a happy future for the sake of someone currently taking the pee but who won't be able to once you've fenced...and who will still be your neighbour.....trust me, a land war with a neighbour can be the ugliest thing going and will ruin your enjoyment of your horses...best not to go there...let her have the grass for now, it's the beginning of the growing season. Yes she's taking the pee and if you find you have issues with her later down the line, then is the time to be firmer, but right now...I'd let it go. Honestly, I speak from grim and bitter experience.

Like! That's what I'd do. I'd be nice if you see her, but get moving on the fencing ASAP.