So... are we ready for the old BE

Visit site
Have been doing some unaff ODEs this summer with good success. Top 5 each outing. The thing is I'm not convinced I'm ready to affiliate yet.

Boris is a jumping horse so no prob with heights and we have done open xc so he has seen enough water, etc BUT our dressage is a tad erratic. Best score has been 37 and worst 48. Instructor has said that I need to school more often (which I don't really go in for
blush.gif
). I know that we are ready to 'have a go' but I am one of those horribly competitive people and i'd have to be capable of a top ten finish before forking out a lot of money for entries, tickets and petrol (nearest one is 100miles away).

So what do all you eventing peeps think. Carry on with ODEs - I've still got to step up to open level (3'6") with them, or have a crack at BE next year.
confused.gif

Thanks

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I find the marking at unaffiliated very erratic - I usually get my worst scores unaffiliated.
With BE I am usually on average in the 30s where as unaffiliated I seem to be in the 40s which I find very frustrating. I find the judges BE are listed and know what they are looking at where as unaffiliated it can be anyone and often I watch back my videos and completely disagree with there comments. I would say go for it as the marking is fairer and much more constructive.

tigers_eye

Visit site
I'd say get your teeth in to some decent opens and then start BE next year. Obviously keep working on the dressage over the winter. Then when you do start you could do one or two PNs just to get the hang of it then go Novice. From Novice upwards it becomes less of a dressage competition anyway, especially if he's a reliable show-jumper and fairly quick xc. DDs sister went straight in at Novice, and not so long ago Intro and PN didn't exist
wink.gif

gingerparkin

photobucket.com
If you know your horse will jump double clear then you really need to work on your dressage! Do lots of unaffiliated dressage to get better marks. I go affiliated eventing and my dressage isn't the best but I still go as they are much better run than unaffiliated.

lizzieuk1

Visit site
seems that which ever way you look at it you're going to have to give in and do the dredded dressage more at home
blush.gif

may as well get that sorted now and go for the BE than wait a year and still have to do it anyway next year, at least once you start BE you'll have a good idea of whats expected in the dressage and whether the unaffiliated marking is in line or not.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Have a go at BE! The events are always really well run (well more so than unaffiliated) and rather friendly and fun! The judging is fairer dressage-wise as they are better trained than those who get roped in for unaff.

If you do a half decent dressage, clear SJ and a clear XC then you'll prob be in the top 10 anyway!