So as not to derail another thread: does your dog need to bring you toys when you come in?

Ratface

Visit site
The GSD greets with a toy in the morning, while singing a song. She also will come into the room with "treasure" and thrust it in your face, if she thinks that it is time for some dog interaction. Her treasure is often something dirty hoiked out of the laundry basket, or a bit of paper wafted off the table by her not inconsiderable tail draft.

The greyound never greets or brings toys but he will collect the GSD's toys up into a pile on his bed.
So who retrieves the GSD's toys? Human or GSD? My Grippet could make the most evil, threatening, tear-your-head-off-your-shoulders faces, together with "You'll Be Sorry . . ." postures if anyone tried to remove her toys from her basket if she was in it.
Meanwhile, GSD was perfectly obedient to "leave it/drop it/away". Certainly not going to risk mixing it with Her Majesty The Grippet. Grippet screams, rolling on the floor, dramatic limping, shivering, hiding would result. Grippets Rule! Even the swaggering Burmese knew to make himself scarce.

Unicorn

Visit site
My shepherd'y beastie doesn't even bother getting up when it's just me coming in. However if any of her favourite humans arrive, she has to bring them something - usually a soft toy or her treat ball, whilst singing a song of welcome. But they're not allowed to actually have it, just admire it.

She clearly read this! For the last two days I've been greeted with songs and toys too! Contrary creature ?

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
So who retrieves the GSD's toys? Human or GSD? My Grippet could make the most evil, threatening, tear-your-head-off-your-shoulders faces, together with "You'll Be Sorry . . ." postures if anyone tried to remove her toys from her basket if she was in it.
Meanwhile, GSD was perfectly obedient to "leave it/drop it/away". Certainly not going to risk mixing it with Her Majesty The Grippet. Grippet screams, rolling on the floor, dramatic limping, shivering, hiding would result. Grippets Rule! Even the swaggering Burmese knew to make himself scarce.
The greyhound will eventually go onto another bed and the GSD will take her toys back. The old gentleman does not really want them, he just wants to wind the GSD up.

For the same reason he never eats his breakfast until she is coming in from toileting after hers, so that he gets to eat in front of her.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Our eldest collie will always find a toy or something to hold in her mouth when people arrive. With strangers we have to explain why she is walking round them wagging her tail and growling ... she is very vocal, very (exceptionally) friendly and well behaved, she just likes to hold a toy or a bone in her mouth and get really vocal when saying hello, lol!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Springer x poodle disperses shoes and socks around the house and garden. Has to greet people with a shoe in his gob. Much time spent in this house hunting "my other bloody shoe:p"

Very reminiscent of Zak. My OH was permanently on the hunt for his missing shoe, which was normally on the lawn.