So fed up of livery options 😩

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Appreciating your difficulties OP, and I really do "get" the position of the YO if there are difficult neighbours. Sometimes you just feel you're treading on a knife-edge and I can understand that they don't want to rock the boat as regards lights in the arena. It isn't just lights either - sometimes at night sounds can be amplified and just people having a "normal volume" conversation can seem like it is on your doorstep. There is a campsite next to us and even though there is a 10 acre field in between us, we can still clearly hear people's conversations and yes it can be intrusive. So I have considerable sympathies for your YO who is obviously in a difficult situation.

So taking portable lights to the arena to ride after dark is a "no-no". End of. I think you will have to accept this isn't feasible.

I know you say you've looked high and low for alternative livery; but I really do feel this is your only option. You are obviously finding where you are doesn't suit your lifestyle - and sorry but the "not till after 1000am rule" is frankly ridiculous and personally I would be well Pee'd off with that one.

Sorry can't offer better advice.

SEL

Visit site
If the neighbours are all over the YO then you won't get away with the temporary lights either. I was once on a yard with a stunning arena but no lights due to PP and the house next door (built after the arena!) moaned at the battery lights.

Riding in the dark is ok providing you don't have your daughter on an Appaloosa 😁

But it sounds to me like this yard just isn't working for you. Google earth does a good job of showing arenas in the area if you want to find the smaller places that might not advertise as livery yards.

Widgeon

Visit site
....and sorry but the "not till after 1000am rule" is frankly ridiculous and personally I would be well Pee'd off with that one.

Yes, I'm afraid I have nothing constructive to add except to say that such a restrictive rule is not normal. We DO have arena lights but don't use them much - instead we all tend to ride early, before work. If you could find a decent alternative yard that allowed you up to ride before school, perhaps that would make life more manageable.

Surbie

Visit site
I don't think I've ever come across a yard with such a late morning opening time for liveries. That would bother me more than the lack of lights. You'd have a decent chance of riding before school otherwise. Maybe a DIY yard with assistance would be better in that regard?

I used to ride in the dark - my horse is spooky, but no more so than when it's light and either way he surprises me with it so it's no real change. :) He can certainly see better than I can.

eta: I'm in Surrey, not in a properly rural area and 2 of the yards I've been on didn't have PP for lights, so it's not just normal for yards in the sticks.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
I'm afraid this sounds like the typical "townie moves to country and wants to turn it into town" that we see a lot round here. We don't want light pollution in rural areas. I can only suggest that you relocate to somewhere that suits you better.
😂 ok, been living in the countryside for decades but thanks!!

Bobthecob15

Visit site
I don't think I've ever come across a yard with such a late morning opening time for liveries. That would bother me more than the lack of lights. You'd have a decent chance of riding before school otherwise. Maybe a DIY yard with assistance would be better in that regard?

I used to ride in the dark - my horse is spooky, but no more so than when it's light and either way he surprises me with it so it's no real change. :) He can certainly see better than I can.

eta: I'm in Surrey, not in a properly rural area and 2 of the yards I've been on didn't have PP for lights, so it's not just normal for yards in the sticks.
Yep it’s a new rule.. so they can get the horses turned out and mucked out before the liveries arrive. It’s annoying!

Thanks for the suggestions will talk again about the portable lights. No DIY or assisted options here unfortunately… it’s all farms and people here tend to keep horses at home so not as much interest for livery yards. I’m not alone in my search going by the frequent FB posts!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Does the pony need riding during the week in winter? A good long hack at the weekends should keep a fit pony ticking over - not perfect I know, but maybe some night time lunging too? I also found that by middle to end of February it was light enough for me to ride after work, not on the roads, but schooling (for me it was in the field).

If you are doing Pony Club things in the winter - jumping indoors, rallies, etc. or even hunting, unless they are a really stodgy sort then they do keep fit enough. I never gave it a though when I had ponies, they were ridden at the weekends, including hunting, lived out all the time and they were fine.

The 10.00 am start seems a bit mean - can you negotiate on this?

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Does the pony need riding during the week in winter? A good long hack at the weekends should keep a fit pony ticking over - not perfect I know, but maybe some night time lunging too? I also found that by middle to end of February it was light enough for me to ride after work, not on the roads, but schooling (for me it was in the field).

If you are doing Pony Club things in the winter - jumping indoors, rallies, etc. or even hunting, unless they are a really stodgy sort then they do keep fit enough. I never gave it a though when I had ponies, they were ridden at the weekends, including hunting, lived out all the time and they were fine.

The 10.00 am start seems a bit mean - can you negotiate on this?
Yes she does, she goes a little bonkers if only ridden at weekends. We do have someone who can ride once or twice a week but ideally we’d not have to pay for this.

Sorry for the rant, February isn’t that long really I know but it’s a frustration! Will investigate head torches!

10am is negotiable if we are going somewhere like a competition or something but they’d prefer not to come down to give them time to get sorted and it means the horses have been out for a few hours before we turn up x

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If you look at how horses eyes work they do not need lights in order to be safely ridden in an arena, in fact because of how slowly their eyes adjust from bright to dark areas, they are better without them, unless you have an area lit up light broad daylight. So I personally ride in the dark and trust in my horse, as long as the arena surface is well maintained. I find it fascinating riding and doing groundwork in the dark as you can feel so much more happening through your seat and reins, it changes the conversation. The only thing I miss is when doing groundwork or bodywork I can’t see the subtle blinks and twitches I might be looking for when seeking release/relaxation, so although my horses are fine with it I am a bit more of a blunt tool in that regard.
I'm another who rides in the dark, no worries. It's not like there is a gaping ditch through the centre of the arena. As long as you can see where the fence is, I'm happy.

millitiger

Visit site
Whereabouts are you in north Hereford? I'd say there are more yards north than south tbh.
Unfortunately lots of arena planning have the caveat of no lights, however I love the dark skies at night and see it as a big Herefordshire benefit.

Could you trailer out one weekday and lunge one or two other weeknights?
Along with lots of weekend exercise that should be plenty?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The 10am thing would drive me bonkers, I don't want my horse to be out for a few hours if I'm riding in the morning, I'm quite happy to have the clean dry version.

When we had just a field and no lights we did both ride and lunge in the dark as well as hacking early, however we also went evening show jumping every other week and/or booked a lesson with lights the opposite week.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I hacked my horse out in the dark at 5am. No traffic. Was fabulously peaceful and he never worried. I would do it again here. OP doesn't have that option with yard rules sadly.
It might be a possibility after school though?

Otherwise are there any local Wednesday evening showjumping events you could go to? I know it's a lot of effort to box up every week though.

little_critter

Visit site
Are there any riding clubs that do regular weekday lessons near you?
Theres a couple round here that do very reasonably priced group lessons on weekday evenings (cheaper than you could get arena hire)