So fed up! Poor BE record stopping my talented Mare selling!

zaminda

Visit site
You either need to get her a better record, or drop the price. I have been looking for a horse for someone recently, and we have just found a nice sensible solid horse for around 5k with a record, which although not perfect shows the horse has jumped round at 100's.
The fact that you feel someone else jumping her round might make it worse doesn't make me feel the horse would have been something we looked at.

opinionuk

Visit site
You either need to get her a better record, or drop the price. I have been looking for a horse for someone recently, and we have just found a nice sensible solid horse for around 5k with a record, which although not perfect shows the horse has jumped round at 100's.
The fact that you feel someone else jumping her round might make it worse doesn't make me feel the horse would have been something we looked at.
I was actually joking when I made that comment about making it worse! Hence the lol after it.

ihatework

Visit site
Is this the horse that had KS as a 4yo and all sorts of hormonal issues (regumate)? Sorry, not a stalker really, just had a quick look at a couple of old threads.

I think you might struggle to get 4.5k unless you can get some good consistent and verifyable SJ results

JDH01

Visit site
I would be very wary looking for an all-rounder if the horse had a poor Xc record particularly if I was looking for a horse who would hunt. You can improve dressage and sj but in my experience can't teach a horse to be brave Xc.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Being harsh here but the world is full unreliable horses that show some talent .
Time is short and fuel is expensive and people I think are more selective now and tend to be more cautious about taking a punt a viewing something with a lot of ifs and buts .
If you want to sell the horse at that money get her doing BS and get her a record.
I buy quirky horses with question marks it is what I like to do but what your saying here would not make me want to rush and take a look.
I assume she's got a record that shows her stopping XC so market her doing something where that does not matter .
It's too much money for a punt at a retraining job unless she's exceptional in type and movement .
And she sounds like she might be too much for a hacking only home .

TGM

Visit site
The trouble is that Googling her registered name not only brings up her BE record but also your threads about her on here which is probably another reason buyers are put off!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I would be very wary looking for an all-rounder if the horse had a poor Xc record particularly if I was looking for a horse who would hunt. You can improve dressage and sj but in my experience can't teach a horse to be brave Xc.

I wouldn't necessarily write one off for stopping XC as being a bad hunter. XC now is so far removed from hunting that I would be willing to give one a punt that had had a bad XC run. Especially given a lead like you get in the field.

I would worry about it stopping XC because I'd want to go XC, not because I would expect it to stop with a lead and its blood up out hunting.

OP, sounds like you have a showjumper whether you like it or not. Showjumping all summer for you :p ;)

opinionuk

Visit site
The trouble is that Googling her registered name not only brings up her BE record but also your threads about her on here which is probably another reason buyers are put off!

Very true! Lol
Think I'll just keep her, getting a new horse so wanted to sell her but there's no rush, she can have the summer off then I'll get her out Showjumping.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site

That is just what I was scrolling down to say.

ALso I think it's quite telling that you are looking for a horse that has brilliant paces and is superb jumper for really not much more than you are expecting for a horse that has given you so much heartache - judging by the threads about her on here.

Fallenrose

Visit site
I paid 4.5K for my all rounder, and her BE record wasn't great. She is worth her weight in gold to me - one of the safest, easiest and most trainable horses I have ever met. I don't think anything would phase her! Her record isn't a reflection of her ability!

There will be buyers out there who will come to see her I'm sure, and if she is worth the 4.5k then you will sell her.

opinionuk

Visit site
I paid 4.5K for my all rounder, and her BE record wasn't great. She is worth her weight in gold to me - one of the safest, easiest and most trainable horses I have ever met. I don't think anything would phase her! Her record isn't a reflection of her ability!

There will be buyers out there who will come to see her I'm sure, and if she is worth the 4.5k then you will sell her.

Thank you a positive comment at last, I totally understand other opinions and do agree with most of them but it's getting me really down now :-(

TGM

Visit site
I paid 4.5K for my all rounder, and her BE record wasn't great. She is worth her weight in gold to me - one of the safest, easiest and most trainable horses I have ever met.

And That is why she is worth the money despite her BE record - because safe and easy horses are always worth a premium even if they are limited competitively. However, from the OP's posts on here it sounds like her mare is not quite so easy going!

Last edited:

Jesstickle

Visit site
And That is why she is worth the money despite her BE record - because safe and easy horses are always worth a premium even if they are limited competitively. However, from the OP's post on here it sounds like her mare is not quite so easy going!

Agreed. I have tried to say that! Safe is such an underrated quality in horses these days!

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I do want to sell her but ideally I'd like her to go to a riding club home so she doesn't get stale just Showjumping, I wouldn't just sell her to anybody it has to be right for her.

Sorry but once she is gone she is gone, what is to say that someone buys her, has a scare and dumps her the following week in a home from hell - the only way to ensure that does not happen is to loan her.

WindyStacks

Visit site
Her lack of experience wouldn't bother me - but a 2-minute google reveals KS, lame during a dressage test, problems facing water etc., etc. might be time to clean up your Internet trail a little. Or advertise under her stable name.

She would not interest me at this price - too many looming vet bills I fear. :(

be positive

Visit site
Sorry, OP, but I've been back through some of your earlier threads about this mare.

She's quite a tricky customer, isn't she. There is a very limited market for difficult horses these days, at any price.

If you google her name there is far too much information that will put people off not just her BE record but I found nothing positive about her at all really and am not surprised no one is coming to view her, you need to get some good results to make up for her history in order to market her as an allrounder and if you can delete her name from all the blogs etc it may help.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
The UA results are a little better on the SJ phase - but shedloads of timefaults XC point to significant issues :( She's just not an allrounder, and as I understand she doesn't jump more than 100cm she's not an SJer.

You could try getting a good local rider to see if they can get her out round a couple of BE90s and see if she can get a result that will show she has some promise but you'll need to be careful who you pick. They've got to be able to make her look good but mustn't be well known or people will think that she needs a pro riding her. Then again, given her medical issues, do you really want to subject her to that?

I'm sorry she's not the horse you wanted her to be, and I'm really sorry for her that you have spent so long trying to get her to be the horse you wanted her to be. I also think it's wrong to sell her to another home who will continue trying to get her to be something she's not.

Why not put her out on loan as a happy hacker who'll have a little jump and with your reduced budget instead of trying to buy a perfect moving, superb jumping horse how about looking for a Mr Average who will take you out and give you your affiliated kicks and won't be so tricky or so expensive? I've spent the past three days watching around 600 horses start and finish 90, 100 and Novice classes. There were quite a few that made us all say "Wow" but most of them were pretty normal horses giving their riders a good day out, there were also several that we wondered why anyone had chosen them. But when you see them cross the finish line with a joyful rider on board having got round clear it becomes very obvious that perfect paces and fabulous jumps are actually pretty minor considerations at this level.

ihatework

Visit site
The UA results are a little better on the SJ phase - but shedloads of timefaults XC point to significant issues :( She's just not an allrounder, and as I understand she doesn't jump more than 100cm she's not an SJer.

You could try getting a good local rider to see if they can get her out round a couple of BE90s and see if she can get a result that will show she has some promise but you'll need to be careful who you pick. They've got to be able to make her look good but mustn't be well known or people will think that she needs a pro riding her. Then again, given her medical issues, do you really want to subject her to that?

I'm sorry she's not the horse you wanted her to be, and I'm really sorry for her that you have spent so long trying to get her to be the horse you wanted her to be. I also think it's wrong to sell her to another home who will continue trying to get her to be something she's not.

Why not put her out on loan as a happy hacker who'll have a little jump and with your reduced budget instead of trying to buy a perfect moving, superb jumping horse how about looking for a Mr Average who will take you out and give you your affiliated kicks and won't be so tricky or so expensive? I've spent the past three days watching around 600 horses start and finish 90, 100 and Novice classes. There were quite a few that made us all say "Wow" but most of them were pretty normal horses giving their riders a good day out, there were also several that we wondered why anyone had chosen them. But when you see them cross the finish line with a joyful rider on board having got round clear it becomes very obvious that perfect paces and fabulous jumps are actually pretty minor considerations at this level.

Super post.

SusieT

Visit site
I'd drop her price to 1500-2K tbh, her record says she's not reliable-a nervous amateur won't buy her. SJing round 80-1m is not that exciting to have that price tag.
Unless she is a super safe hack?

X

xspiralx

I think, unfortunately, that your mare is probably overpriced for what she is.

If you are completely honest, and objective, she is an 8yr old mare who has competed a very few times at BE80, completed only twice and never with clear SJ. You can easily find from your threads on here that she's had a lot of health problems, and doesn't really enjoy her XC.

She does look to have a good jump but without a record SJ you've got nothing really concrete to back this up and at 8 she's not really a youngster anymore. If you're not getting viewings, it's probably because she's not stacking up against other horses for the same price.

It's a buyer's market at the moment, which means that anything that's a bit quirky or has a few question marks is far more difficult to sell.

For comparison purposes, I'm selling my horse at the moment - he's a talented 6yr old with a cracking jump, a little quirky on the flat, and low competition mileage (due only to my own lack of transport), but is an easy horse to take out and about and is very bold SJ and XC - and I'm asking £3250 for him.

Sheep

Visit site
I suspect prospective buyers are probably googling her name and finding a lot of threads on here - unfortunately out of context it looks as though she has a lot of issues. Whether these are now beyond her doesn't necessarily matter to buyers - if they see it written down it might be enough to put them off, especially the references to regumate, kissing spines and ulcers. It would certainly out me off. Sorry. I hope you find the right person for her but you may need to consider dropping the price to reflect her issues.

montanna

Visit site
I suspect prospective buyers are probably googling her name and finding a lot of threads on here - unfortunately out of context it looks as though she has a lot of issues. Whether these are now beyond her doesn't necessarily matter to buyers - if they see it written down it might be enough to put them off, especially the references to regumate, kissing spines and ulcers. It would certainly out me off. Sorry. I hope you find the right person for her but you may need to consider dropping the price to reflect her issues.

I agree. I have just had a very, very quick scan of only your first page of last posts which brings up the following:

- 'really green when it comes to XC' some days will jump, other days you get elim at fence 3 - always backs off XC fences 'I'm actually forcing her to do something she's obviously not happy with'

- has a 'massive splint' on front leg, so studding up is a worry for you

- hormonal issues - has been on regumate 'for ages' - and is a 'nightmare when she's in season to the point where she is impossible to ride'

- finds dressage hard - has been pulled up dressage for lameness

- has 'mild kissing spine' with 2 vertebrae fused

This is only page 1 of 7 of your last posts! I am aware that this is all taken out of context, but I am looking at this as a potential buyer would. Doesn't look good. Obviously other horses could have these issues, but without them being highlighted like this online, it's not out there.

Also if any of this came back to bite you on the bum once you have sold her, it could turn quite nasty - especially if you don't relay these issues to a potential buyer.

Unfortunately that's one of the problems of the internet :( need to be careful what you post.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Is this the horse that had KS as a 4yo and all sorts of hormonal issues (regumate)?

No not that one! Lol

:confused3: When selling horses you need to be truthful if you really want them to end up in the *right* home. From what you've said about this mare on here I don't think she is what you are advertising I'm afraid. Perhaps do a rethink of how to advertise her and figure out where she would be best placed.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I wouldn't necessarily write one off for stopping XC as being a bad hunter. XC now is so far removed from hunting that I would be willing to give one a punt that had had a bad XC run. Especially given a lead like you get in the field.

I will usually look for an allrounder type to hunt regularly throughout the winter, and if they have a BE record I will search it. There is nothing worse than hunting a gutless horse therefore bravery over any fence is absolutely up there on my tick list.

Welly

Visit site
Hi, if you really want to sell her you will have to consider dropping your price I don't mean to be nasty and sorry to say but your horses is not worth 4.5k. I bought a nice mare for doing riding club and paid 2.5k last year. And just to point out if you get someone else to get her going that will cost you more money. To most people horse are only worth what they can do not what we think they should be able to do Think about what she is really good at and sell her on those points.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I will usually look for an allrounder type to hunt regularly throughout the winter, and if they have a BE record I will search it. There is nothing worse than hunting a gutless horse therefore bravery over any fence is absolutely up there on my tick list.

Yes but some not quite bold enough ( or too sensible ) to event horses make fantastic hunters , however from what I've read I don't think huntings is necessarily the way forward for for this horse .
"Has the odd run out at a skinny "would not preclude a horse making a good hunter .