So fed up with neighbour stressing my horse out!

scrumpygus

Visit site
Ok so a horse on my yard got moved next door to me and it weaves and generally stresses unbelievably - its making my horse the same - she has suddenly started kicking the wall, weaving and trying to fight with him over the door - its horrible to see her like this i have spoken to the owner and she is not interested in doing anything to sort it out - my horse is never like this and its awful to see - i have another horse there who is happy as larry so i am reluctant to move yard and i dont see why i should have to but its getting to the point that i cant bare to see her like it - i have owned her for 14 years and shes never been like this before - what on earth should i do? There are no free stables on my yard either so i cant even just move her into a different stable.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
What did the YO say, when you spoke to them about it? And what measures would you like the owner of this horse to take?

Flicker

Visit site
Had a similar problem when someone moved a vicious animal next door to my placid boy. He used to kick the bejesus out of the dividing partition, so much so that I thought he'd put a foot through it.
In the end, I had to board up the bars on the top part of the dividing wall so they couldn't see each other. Not great for my boy since it ruined his view, but better than him waking up to someone's hoof crashing into his bedroom.
Can you put up some sort of screen so they can't see each other?

Peacelily

Visit site
horses haven't shown the ability to learn to weave from another horse (ie. like we learn by copying, they don't show this with weaving)

If she's kicking/being violent then put up a barrier between the doors

and try and evaluate whether it is actually weaving, or she goes from one side to the other to snack at the other horse then back again - if that makes sense?

I used to hang rugs between horses if they didn't get on - out of sight out of mind

scrumpygus

Visit site
I think putting up a screen between the two is a good idea - its difficult cause the yo's are not really horsey people and although they are lovely people they just want an easy life. Once i put a screen up she will not be able to see 1 other horse on the yard at all i have no idea whether that will be another issue but things cant be any worse i suppose - i am also not very handy and have no idea how i would go about putting something like that up - its just so frustrating seeing her so wound up suddenly.

russianhorse

Visit site
I once had the same problem, with my little guy copying a horse weaving & stomping, so I put up a 'hanging boredom breaker' at the front of his stable, so everytime he weaved, he'd knock it

Stopped him weaving and stomping, as he had far more fun swinging it forwards everytime someone walked past
grin.gif

Rana

Visit site
Hang a rug up? That's what I did - I only had the stables for 6 months of the year, so it wasn't worth putting up something permanent. Worked for mine.

scrumpygus

Visit site
I cant hang a rug up between them - they are fighting over their stable doors not between bars - sorry i should have explained that - my other horse is much bigger and is an especially large stable so i cant even swap them cause he wont fit comfortably in her stable.
Its so annoying - i think i will have to ask handy man at yard to put something up but the woman next door is gonna be so annoyed she wanted him to be able to see another horse to try and calm him down but instead its just aggravated my horse and its so unfair on her.
I hate any sort of conflict and she is gonna be so annoyed but i have to think if the welfare of my horse 1st - she doesnt even want to discuss it she is so selfish and generally a horrible person i think she is alot of the reason her horse is so stressed - i even heard her say to someone on the yard they should get the new boy who has only been riding 5 months to sit on her 3 year old cause its better he breaks his neck than she does - its truly shocking she is a really nasty piece of work and i know as soon as i put something up she will turn on me. I just want to get away but other than her the yard is fantastic and my other horse is so so happy. I could honestly cry just typing this i am so frustrated about it - i really try to give my horses the best possible life and seeing my baby (ive had her from a baby so she is!) so upset is heartbreaking.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We had a similar problem with two horses stabled next to each other & occasionally having a go at each other over the stable doors. I made a strong wooden partition that fitted off the front door pillar & this prevented them being able to fight over the doors. All is peaceful now.

If you get a partition made & fitted make sure it is built as strongly as possible because horses will test most things to destruction won't they.
wink.gif

Peacelily

Visit site
hang a broomstick handle from the ceiling then drape your rug over - then it's an easy makeshift barrier than you can test to see if it works

siennamum

Visit site
Sienna is like this with anything stabled next to her, she hates her space being invaded - and the possibility that anything could eat her food.
I haven't a solution for you, we haveS in a stable with no neighbours. I would advise though that you investigate getting some rubber matting along the wall she may kick, I live in fear of them hurting themselves this way.

Rana

Visit site
Aah, ok, I'm with you now. Could someone rig up a barrier for you - we had something similar on our yard, between 2 horses who would fight. It was basically like the front end of a lorry partition - that sort of size. Made from wood, and nailed onto the front of the stable, between the 2 doors, at horse head height.

Flicker

Visit site
If she whinges, tell her to go somewhere else or get knotted, or both...
You were there first, her horse is causing the problem, you've found the solution, job done.