So...have we done the 'transition to raw' now then?

palo1

Visit site
I decided to move Red IT on to a raw diet - it's been on my mind since day 1 but especially since I have been at home more (so Red is a bit busier) it has become clear that he really struggles to maintain a good weight. He is ok and I don't want a fat dog but actually he really often hovers on the edge of 'thin' :( He has been on a good kibble diet at the maximum amount I could feed without it just all coming out the other end!!

I moved him to a raw diet last weekend and after 1 day of very loose poo, though not actual diarrhea, on tripe he has been absolutely fine. Literally no issues at all - he loves the food (mostly complete minces but with some sprats and bones too) and seems perfectly, digestively cool about it all. He is clearly fine with tripe, rabbit, beef and lovely sprats in sensible quantities. So is the 'transition' done ? Apart from introducing new flavours gently, do I need to do anything more or do I just assume that all is now adjusted and to crack on with different meats, bones etc etc??

I thought it would be more complicated and apart from 1 day where I had to add rabbit to his tripe to dry him up a bit, it's like he has always eaten this way; is that a normal experience?
My old dog, bless her thought she would love to go raw and has eaten plenty of tripe but sadly refuses to try anything else at all so I will probably have to return her to a good quality kibble. I will treat her to tripe once in a while though and plenty of sprats and bones of course...

Roxylola

Visit site
Other than puppies, you're recommended to do 2 weeks on tripe so I wouldnt write your old girl off yet. Also rabbit is a fairly strong flavour, one of mine always pulls a face at it.
It sounds like you've transitioned pretty smoothly though. I think at first as you add in new things it's best to do 1 or 2 weeks of them to give chance for any reaction to show so you know what it is they're reacting to.
Bear in mind as you add chicken or duck minces they're often higher in bone so may need to dilute with tripe or something.
Mine were very straightforward to transition though and now get a regular mix - I think ideally you want about 4 flavours per week so you dont cause issues

{97702}

Visit site
I would say that’s a yes ? George swapped over without any bother at all - he did his first week on tripe and now alternates tripe/minced whole rabbit/minced offal & beef (he has 2 days of each due to the pack sizes at the moment)

Before he was having anal gland problems (one of my reasons for changing him over) but those are gone now, although I’ve learned that he cannot tolerate Pringles in addition to his raw food ?

I’m looking forward to getting Colin transitioned in the future so they can have a pack per day between them and so will have something different each day ?

ponyparty

Visit site
Don’t overthink it, would be my advice ? not every single meal needs to be exactly the correct % of bone/offal/meat, just balance it over the course of the day/week. Add a raw egg now and again, sprats are also great. Lucky dogs! I add veg sometimes too, just whatever (dog safe) stuff I’ve got lying around. He hoovers up most things.

I don’t think the switchover has to be a big Thing either. When I first switched my boy to raw I was, similar to you, anxious about getting it right - it’s natural. You just get used to it over time though. Now, I often switch mine back to kibble due to life/the weather/I’ve forgotten to get the raw out of the freezer to defrost. Sometimes he even has a bit of kibble with his raw! He’s fine. Don’t worry about it too much ?

ponyparty

Visit site
I would say that’s a yes ? George swapped over without any bother at all - he did his first week on tripe and now alternates tripe/minced whole rabbit/minced offal & beef (he has 2 days of each due to the pack sizes at the moment)

Before he was having anal gland problems (one of my reasons for changing him over) but those are gone now, although I’ve learned that he cannot tolerate Pringles in addition to his raw food ?

I’m looking forward to getting Colin transitioned in the future so they can have a pack per day between them and so will have something different each day ?

George hasn’t half landed on his paws!

palo1

Visit site
Thanks everyone :) I know that I was supposed to do just tripe for a week and I have kept feeding tripe but as Red was a bit 'loose' I did start to add (on advice of the raw food shop) some rabbit and today (5th day) beef. I have wondered if I have been a bit swift to move on from tripe but so far no problems. I will try to keep a bit more consistency so I can identify if/what causes any issues. I am absolutely delighted with how much the dogs love their grub!! They liked the good kibble and it was always gone in a few minutes but dear little Red wags his tail so much when he gets his meaty meals - he is just delighted :) :) It's also quite a lot simpler, logistically than I thought it might be. :)

palo1

Visit site

At the moment Red is recommended to eat 1.5 packs a day - hence the slightly random flavours! I wasn't sure whether to keep to one flavour for days at a time or alternate but I will just keep going with what we are doing at the moment which is 1 pack of 1 flavour with 0.5 pack of tripe.

GSD Woman

Visit site
When I fed raw, back in the old days, I just switched my dogs. I had some recipes that I followed or my veggie/organ meat mix and tried to mix up the bones. The main reason I don't feed it now is that Rudy can't handle raw chicken. My 2 still get turkey necks and beef marrow bones.

Bellasophia

Visit site
No experience with raw feeding....but regarding your dog‘s weight...my st poodles have often been criticized when adolescent ,for needing to put on more weight...They have been active and more importantly healthy dogs.At three ,I’ve seen each dog transform..muscled up,filled out,and even their head matures into a regal dog...id say if your Irish is active ,healthy etc and eating well be patient and you will see him transform as he matures.

plus. You could always give Red a handful of dry kibble or a Bonio type biscuit before bedtime..Guaranteed to add a bit of weight.