So I fell off and now I need a new hat - help!

AprilBlossom

Visit site
I managed to take a little tumble on to the road last week, and in the process my head connected with the concrete. Didn’t hurt even a little bit but I physically felt my hat ‘go’ (it did it’s job perfectly!) and as safety-lax as I am, even I have to admit it’s time I bought a new one as the damaged one was arguably the safer of the two I own.

My absolutely favourite hat (H&S crew, sit down for this one as I will still wear it...out hunting) is a navy gatehouse hickstead (6 7/8) and ideally I want to just get another of those to stop me plonking on said hat, which at the grand old age of around 13yrs is about as useful as wearing an eggshell!

I REALLY want another nice navy velvet hat with flesh coloured harness, but it’s so difficult to find one these days! Am I to just give in and get a HS-whatever they’re on now?

I tried a Charles Owen one but it gave me such a headache after more than a couple of minutes wear, and struggling to find anything else nice, with a slim profile and that traditional look. Everything is bling or futuristic-carbon looking these days!

I’d love if anyone could find me some suggestions so that I can protect my brains. You’d literally be (potentially) saving my life, shoppers of HHO x

Otherwise

Visit site
I can't help much as I've got one of the velvet Charles Owens but from a quick Google search Champion, Gatehouse, Caldene, Just Togs, John Whitaker all offer velvet hats. Your problem is going to be finding a local tack shop that stocks them so you can try them on and see what fits, I didn't have a great deal of choice of hats or brands at my local one last time I looked.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Feeling your pain re. replacing a hat! I'm having to do mine at the moment as the one I have is over 10 years old AND I've fallen off in it (oohhhh the shame!!).

I have an oval shaped head, and have found a Champion Kids hat to be the ONLY one to fit me.

Unfortunately I cannot help you much OP as don't know what to suggest. The only wisdom I can offer, as suggestions, are to (dare I say it) let YOURSELF be the one to decide what is a "good fit" or not. The worst fitting hat I ever had on my head was one which the "qualified fitter" said was OK!! It wasn't. It slipped around like a turd on a dungheap, wrong shape for my head. If you've ridden for a while and/or know the discipline you need the hat for, then IME YOU and you only are the best person to decide whether a thing is a good fit or not. Yep I'll get criticised for this statement, I know that. And yes, a "fitter" is good in that they can eliminate a poor fit, and for a beginner or novice rider buying their first hat I'd deem a "fitter" essential as this group always without fail buy hats which are way too big for them.

If you can (and if you've the nerve!!) its a good idea to go to every tack-shop around and try out their hats - IF they'll let you that is. Walk around for a good'ish time in the hat (get Store Security thoroughly worried in the process :) ), and imagine how you'd feel if that hat was on your head ALL DAY. See how much they're asking for it; then do what I've just done with a hat I really liked: take a piccie of it on your mobile and then go and price it up on-line! Naughty I know........... ;)

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Like Mijodhs, I have an oval head too, the only one from the Gatehouse range that fits me nicely is the RXC1. I've hunted with it, wearing a navy velvet cover.
I do have a Fiona (now obsolete for showing) but this tho it fits, isn't as comfy as the skull. My beagler is also comfy, but is sadly just an ornament...

turnbuckle

Visit site
"I have an oval shaped head, and have found a Champion Kids hat to be the ONLY one to fit me".

That's the very odd thing. So have I, and they aren't supposed to be oval at all. It's beyond logic.

Slightly tempted to get an American motorcycle helmet in the style of a WW1 Stahlhelm. Just because I can.

AprilBlossom

Visit site
then do what I've just done with a hat I really liked: take a piccie of it on your mobile and then go and price it up on-line! Naughty I know........... ;)

I had already planned to do that too! Lol! I’m loathed to drive out to a shop though and find all of their velvet hats are ginormous bubble headed creations. My gatehouse was so lovely and ‘low profile’. I simply can’t afford a Patey, which would be the dream, hence my asking.

The Charles Owen was nice to look at but just so blimmin uncomfortable - also having been ‘professionally fitted’...

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Thank you, exactly what I’m looking to know - they’re just so hard to find in tack shops these days to try!

It’s probably too late in the season but if you can go somewhere where there is a Charles Owen stand they have loads you can try on. I tried on at Hickstead last year. They don’t sell them if I recall but you can see what shape fits your head best then you can order it.

w1bbler

Visit site
To all of you trying hats at your local shop & then buying online, shame on you. We need the local shops to remain,enough have closed, support them so we can all find a shop in a few years. It's probably only a few quid saved.
Rant over