So if BE is more expensive, do you think this will happen...?!

jules89

Visit site
...more people going to events where professionals are less likely to be?

just to spark a debate really -

Tweseldown is likely to be overflowing with pro's, whereas a smaller event, maybe a newer one too, may not be. Do people knowingly go to these smaller events in order to be more likely to be in the ribbons and not pipped to the post by another WFP etc ?

I haven't ever done this, and no idea if it is even a valid point, I was just thinking about it earlier
smile.gif

sorry if this made no sense aswell!

MandyMoo

Visit site
not BE...so dont know if im allowed to say anything on this topic
tongue.gif
blush.gif
lol...but i go to smaller bsja venues quite a lot so im more likley to be in the ribbons...and tend to go to the bigger venues ie arena uk a little less often as they have huuuge classes with a lot of good horses and pro riders there.

dont know about BE though sorry xx

kerilli

Visit site
i think this has always happened to a certain extent. many years ago i remember a Pro telling me that it's really easy to win at Llanymynech because "it's all pit ponies" (i kid you not.)
i don't know if it's still the case, but it was generally held that events that had Int and Adv tracks would usually have more testing xc tracks too, making them harder to win.

jumptoit

Visit site
I have done this before in that even when my parents are off work and I am off school I avoid going on weekdays as there are more pros there and it really does affect your results. Although I would never do that for an event as I don't have the option, being in Northern England I have to choose events for the course, distance to travel and weekend they are on as there just aren't as many to choose from.

TheMule

Visit site
I'm going to do 1 less event than I might normally do to counteract the increased cost- I'm going to go to the best courses and run on the best of the ground. But I'm not very competitive so I don't care if my sections are crammed full of pros or half filled with amateurs!

kerilli

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think that's always happened tbh, Jules, I know I've taken horses to places like Urchinwood (when it ran N) when I've wanted to get some points/form...

[/ QUOTE ]

kinell, TD, in that case why, the only time I ever went there, was I beaten into 2nd place by Ginny Leng?!?!?!

TableDancer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that's always happened tbh, Jules, I know I've taken horses to places like Urchinwood (when it ran N) when I've wanted to get some points/form...

[/ QUOTE ]

kinell, TD, in that case why, the only time I ever went there, was I beaten into 2nd place by Ginny Leng?!?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL and one time when I went one N section was won by some kid called Zara on Toycity or somesuch
grin.gif
Luckily the other one was won by a *slightly* older kid called Katie
smile.gif
smile.gif
Funnily enough, Lucy W was 2nd on a 5yo called Shaabrak (wonder what ever happened to him?
tongue.gif
) but she put in her Eventing Mag column that she had won which irritated me immensely - tbf, she'd left early to drive up to Blair and thought she had indeed won. So that all slightly negates my theory but the fact remains, that was its reputation - guess we all went there with the same idea
smile.gif

Another time I took a very established N horse that was about to go to Necarne, he had done well in the D and SJ and was well up there. The 4th XC fence was a biggish corner or a parrallel which took no longer to negotiate (still is, for those who know the track). Aha, thought I, a good opportunity to practise corners, will be a good prep. Result: numpty and totall unnecessary runout at the corner
mad.gif
I've never forgotten it - a lesson well learnt: don't take unnecessary risks when a place is at stake!! It remains easier than most to do well at, albeit PN and Intro nowadays.

dieseldog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because she used to live about 20 miles away from Urchinwood?

Maybe you should do searches on the Pros postcodes and chose the one with the least locals?

humblepie

Visit site
Must admit, show jumping rather than eventing so a bit different but was always happy to compete against the pros - if I beat them it made it that bit extra special. Used to tend to look more at who the course builder was.

kerilli

Visit site
DieselDog, i went there because it was close to where i was staying/working at the time, I don't go around avoiding competing against Pros, or looking for easy courses, thanks!
(btw, i never realised before, but in the section Ginny won, and I came 2nd in, 4th place was a certain Mr A Nicholson...!)
i agree actually benjamin, i like competing against the Pros, i think it makes us all raise our game. i'd hate it if eventing was separated (as it is in other countries, i think) into separate sections for Pros and amateurs.

Gamebird

Visit site
Agree that it has always happened BE.

However BSJA I find it MUCH easier to win money midweek agaist the pros. The reason? They are all chasing double clears and don't care how slowly they go in the jump off so long as they're clear. On a weekend you get all the horribly competitive amateurs haring round JO's on overgrown ponies looking for the prize money. I have won more money midweek against the pros by a very, very long chalk.

CaleruxShearer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i think this has always happened to a certain extent. many years ago i remember a Pro telling me that it's really easy to win at Llanymynech because "it's all pit ponies" (i kid you not.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a pit pony
grin.gif

Its a good point actually Jules and one that hadn't occured to me before, I should think your probably right though.

SpottedCat

Visit site
God yes. I always go to Monmouth because aside from liking it, it is the same weekend as gatcombe and all the pros bar about 2 are there instead!

Mind you, I still don't do any better.