So I'm buying a Friesian (subject to vetting).

WestCoast

Visit site
Thank you all for your support and encouragement the last couple of weeks.

Deep breath - I'm buying a four year old Friesian mare if she passes a full 5 stage vetting.

Now before I get told off for not buying a calm schoolmaster she is going into schooling livery where she will be ridden daily by a professional. I wouldn't dream of trying to bring her on on my own.

She is green, and doesn't have a great attention span, but she's kind and tried to do what you ask her. The experienced groom (aka my responsible adult) gave me some instruction on her in the school and she was going on quite well for me and I felt safe.

She is a little inclined to stop and look, but I took her up the road on my own and hubby drove the car back and forth past her and she ignored it.

I think she has the potential to be a wonderful riding horse with some patience and schooling. but yes I was partially swayed by how beautiful she is. But there's not a nasty bone in her body.

Paula

swalk

Visit site
A relative of a friend has had a couple of Friesians, the first one she had was her first horse and by all accounts she was absolutely wonderful. Sadly about 2 years into owning her she went away on holiday and the horse suffered colic and had to be pts. She loved her so much she went over to Holland to buy her next one! She did say that after Lara had died she looked into it and she read that Friesians are slightly more prone to colic.

D5edon

Visit site
I've just bought a Friesian who is a bit older and he is so lovely. Slightly timid but impeccably behaved. He has the most beautiful face and kind nature. Good luck with yours.

WestCoast

Visit site
Hubby took video but no photos. But I don't want to post anything until she passes the vetting. She's young and passed one 6 months ago, but I've read too many threads here to be comfortable until she has.

Paula

Nicnac

Visit site
You lucky girl! I bought my Friesian when she was 6 months old and lost her in late April. Devastated as she was the most beautiful, loving horse I've ever had and was my horse of a lifetime. We learnt together as she was my first youngster and she was pretty bombproof without a malicious bone in her body. Looking forward to seeing photos!

Tilda

Visit site
Ooooh how wonderful! So glad it went well for you today and fingers crossed you will be getting your very own horse:)

My, fourth time lucky, horse of a lifetime is Friesian cross and I think when he eventually has to retire (hopefully not yet he is only14!) I will be looking into a pure bred one.

Let us know how the vetting goes x

Echo24

Visit site
Oh how exciting! You seemed to have beat me to a horse! I used to share a lovely 6 friesian gelding a couple of years ago and he had the loveliest temperament for a youngster. I used to hack him out by myself (have never ever hacked alone before) and he was good as gold. I can't wait to see photos, they are so good looking! :)

WestCoast

Visit site
Thank you all. Yes a friesian is my dream horse, and bringing on a youngster was what I always wanted to do. And ok I'm paying someone else to do it for me really. But this is horse therapy for me after a truly dreadful last few years.

Paula

Parker79

Visit site
Hi there - fingers crossed for you, I saw your post on the other thread. I bought miine in Feb...love him to pieces, really hope it works out for you, make sure you post some pics on here and on the other thread...lots of supportive friesian owners on there that will share their stories...has been a godsend to me!

And do not put yourself down by saying you are not really going to be doing it yourself, it sounds like you are going into this with your eyes wide open and you will be doing it...just using help which most of us do. I will be paying for help with mine once we get past the basics as I feel I am not balanced enough to do him justice (not enough hours in the saddle these days!)

Good luck...look forward to hearing more.

mandwhy

Visit site
Congrats they are very beautiful horses! I'm sure you can still be involved with the schooling and I know what you mean about a bit of horse therapy :)

evj

Visit site
I bought my Friesian in may, he's my first horse as well :) In the photo area there's a thread called show us your Friesland. It's very helpful and friendly :)

WestCoast

Visit site
Once she's mine I will most definitely be posting there.

Once upon a time I would have been trying to manage my expectations so I didn't get upset if she failed the vet. But I've learnt it doesn't work and you might as well really want something. :)

Paula

FionaM12

Visit site
I'm so excited for you! It's such a great feeling getting a horse, like being a child and getting all your Christmases at once. :D

She sounds lovely. :)

WestCoast

Visit site
It's a bit strange because part of me feels I should make no arrangements until she has passed the vet but in practice I need to sort out money and arrange for the yard to be ready for her and pick her up. Seems a bit like asking for bad luck doing it though.

I keep swinging between wondering what I am doing not getting a nice quiet alrounder, and remembering that she's going to be ridden daily by professionals with loads of experience in bringing on young horses and has loads of potential to make a truly wonderful ladies (or gents for that matter) riding horse.

Paula

ShadowHunter

Visit site
I love Freisians, I would get one if i could; oh well, i guess mine will have to wait
congrats to you.
You only live once, so why not? haha
Hopefully she passes, fingers crossed for you both.

WestCoast

Visit site
Booking it this morning, but probably Friday now. I spoke to the vendor again and that's the best day for her as well.

Paula

indiat

Visit site
Good luck! I am learning together with my youngster, a baby Highland. He is kept on a BHS approved yard and my riding instructor rides him for me and is helping us out a lot. I was very daunted about taking on a youngster after my first horse died. She was an equine angel and we wanted something just like her again, but we couldn't find a sensible, quiet family pony we in our budget. No one wants to sell them! But he is so laid back he has been a dream so far. Its a bugger to get him out of puddles though, big baby that he is he likes splashing about in them! Friesans have a wonderful temprement and while I am sure you will have your moments, with lots of expert support you should have many happy years together. Fingers crossed for Friday!

WestCoast

Visit site
Yes I have noticed that generally youngsters or much older horses are advertised. I suspect the others often go word of mouth. The other problem for me was a needed to take someone to view with me do was quite limited in area.

MagicMelon

Visit site
The horse sounds lovely but out of interest, why buy a horse that you can't just get on and get going with? I dont personally understand why some people buy a horse who isn't up to their level or whatever yet and pay someone else to do it, why not buy a horse who suits you in the first place?

WestCoast

Visit site
Because there doesn't appear to be such a thing available for any money locally, you can still have major problems with an older horse and I've always wanted to be involved with bringing on a youngster. Also of you met her you'd understand - she's a real sweetie.

Joanna710

Visit site
It's a bit strange because part of me feels I should make no arrangements until she has passed the vet but in practice I need to sort out money and arrange for the yard to be ready for her and pick her up. Seems a bit like asking for bad luck doing it though.
Paula

I'd stay optimistic if I were you, I bought my Friesian in late April and had already bought his grooming kit (and used it) before he was even vetted! To be fair I bought him from the field so he was a complete scruffbag and I wanted to make sure he didn't mind being touched all over. Turns out he loves being groomed and would stand all day long :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, they have the most wonderful temperaments and are so people-oriented. Wouldn't sell my boy for the world xx

WestCoast

Visit site
That's so sweet.

Well I've booked the vet, requested yard pickup, ordered bankers draft and got insurance provisionally sorted.

I will need to get grooming kit, rug if needed and I'm going to get a saddle fitted as she's wide and flat, but that can wait

WestCoast

Visit site
OK I've found something else to stress about. I texted the head groom at the yard about having her collected if she's ok in Friday and he said he'd get back to me ASAP. But I got busy in clinic and I've only just realized he hasn't got back to me. I'm going to be really stuffed if I have a horse and no yard.

I believe this may officially be me stressing about nothing since in the last week or so they've shown me round, given me advice on buying, let me ride one of their horses to assess my riding and sent a member of staff with me to try said horse. They were probably just busy.

Aaaargh it's all getting a bit too much. :eek:

Paula