So many horse for sale ad pics put me off, the people in them that is!

Freya1

Visit site
Hi, I am new to here but just wanted to post somewhere my frustration!
I am looking to buy a horse and have been initially looking on line mostly H&H and Horse Quest the latter which seem to have the better quality horses and ads but what annoys me is not the photos of the horses but the people!

I am afraid as a potential buyer I am put off by people riding with no hat, in trainers in tracky bottoms, lads with no shirts on holding horses, people that are too big sitting on ponies, what's with that one? If you have outgrown your pony either get someone smaller to sit on it or advertise it either with or without tack but without a rider on it!

It's all well and good seeing a horse going over a jump but I also want a side on pic to assess it's conformation! and what's with putting saddles half way up the horses neck? I have not had a horse for 3 years now, is this a new fashion?

And my biggest bug bear?.....
People STANDING on horses backs! what's with that one? If I want a trick, circus horse I will look under, "schooled to work in a circus" section, not nice all rounder types! The worse is a horse that looks totally fed up, with a large person standing on it's back wearing trainers, trackies, no hat and with a saddle half way up it's neck!! Arrrggghh! and don't get me onto horses that are caked in mud and look like they haven't seen a dandy brush in 6 months!

Oh well I will keep looking, wish me luck!

Elsiecat

Visit site
I am afraid as a potential buyer I am put off by people riding with no hat
Once you've bought it you can wear what you like on it, why would that put you off :confused:

And my biggest bug bear?.....
People STANDING on horses backs! what's with that one?!
I'm guessing its to show you how much they trust the horse and how calm the horse is? :rolleyes:

WestCoast

Visit site
My pet hate was videos of horses being schooled with their noses pulled so far under them that they can't see where they are going. That and the phrase "hunted in Ireland" on a five year old or four year olds jumping whacking great jumps.

Paula

Auslander

Visit site
I figure that I'm buying the horse, not the owner. Don't care what they are doing/not doing/wearing.

Mind you - I am guilty of most of the above crimes. My horses haven't been unduly affected though.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I recently saw a reasonably expensive 'competition' horse advertised with 3 eventing photos, so far in the distance and with so much shadow that the horse was all but invisible.

And as for the photos of rugs!

How people expect to sell their horses, I cannot imagine!

Freya1

Visit site
Maybe I am old fashioned or a snob but I am seriously saying this as a potential buyer, OK so I may not be looking at a certain market where the mostly coloured hairy ones are advertised in this way but to me if the person with the horse looks scruffy then from a buyers point of view I am thinking that maybe the horse has not been looked after too well and that opens up a can of worms (probably literally) for me, is the horse really as well schooled as they say, has it had the correct vet care the time it's been in their ownership, has it been fed and cared for properly?

Joking aside these are the thoughts that go through my mind, AS A POTENTIAL BUYER, maybe I am a one off and these horses sell and that's it, but it's my opinion, in as much as I wouldn't go and look at a car for sale if it was covered in mud, dents and had a flat tyre!! (and yes before anyone says it most 4wds are in that state, I have one myself, minus the flat, but if I was to sell it I'd at least give it a clean over!!)

Elsiecat

Visit site
if the person with the horse looks scruffy then from a buyers point of view I am thinking that maybe the horse has not been looked after too well

I look scruffy BECAUSE I look after my horse well :rolleyes:
If I ever come to sell I better smarten myself up :eek:

Auslander

Visit site
Actually Freya, to be fair - I wouldn't advertise a horse with photos that didn't show it off in its best light.
Although I frequently ride in jeans, only brush the important bits, and allow my horse to mooch around on the buckle out hacking - underneath the dirt and the slovenliness - his mane and tail are pulled, he is fit, shiny, correctly fed/shod, and he can go from donkey to dressage horse in seconds.
Just because I don't care about the state of the rider, doesn't mean that its ok for me to pass comment about it bothering you. Sorry!

Elsiecat

Visit site
Just wanted to add -
I'm not having a pick, I'm just trying to discourage you from ruling horses out on the basis you don't like what their owners are wearing etc.
You could potentially rule out a very nice horse without even seeing it!
You aren't buying the owner ;)

**Vanner**

Visit site
For me it is the lack of basic English skills that I find really concerning. Is it too much to ask that people draft an advertisement in word and then copy and paste across so that at least basic mistakes can be sorted.

As regards the other things, it just makes me think what I could do for the poor thing!

LollyDolly

Visit site
Haha, I am a dressage rider and I frequently ride in track suit bottoms and wellingtons, in fact there are a few pictures that were taken the other day which show me in my scruffs riding my pony who had three rather large poo stains on his bum. Still, I was sat perfectly atop a stunning little dressage pony nevertheless ;)
Also I am rather well-to-do, not a 'chav' it's just that me and heat don't mix so I never look my best on a hot day ;)

But I know exactly what you mean, I would never dream of using any of those pictures as sale pictures as I would never be taken seriously :D

And I must admit that I am also a teensy bit of a snob and I would be discouraged by the rider looking a bit well, rough. :eek:

I know we can all look scruffy but you wouldn't really use them as sale pictures, when selling I always make sure that me and the horse are scrubbed up and looking fancy. As a buyer and seller when I'm paying or asking for a higher price for a horse then I do want/provide a more professional impression. But I am a bit of a perfectionist :D

Warmblood3

Visit site
Hi, I am also fairly new on here :)

I cannot say that I always groom my horse to perfection every time I ride her, and I agree that sometimes riding in jeans and only brushing the important parts is the only way - especially if you are pushed for time.

But if I wanted to sell a horse, I would put in 110% to make sure both myself and the horse looked presentable..
After all - first impressions from a picture in an advert are hard to override :cool:

Enfys

Visit site
I figure that I'm buying the horse, not the owner. Don't care what they are doing/not doing/wearing.

QUOTE]

Elsiecat [Once you've bought it you can wear what you like on it, why would that put you off ]
Precisely. You could look at it this way, you will have rescued a horse from a dreadful fate :D

That old saying "It isn't the stable the horse comes out of, but the horse that comes out of the stable" really does apply when buying horses I find.

I don't give a monkeys patoot what the handler is wearing, I am not buying them, or their yards, fencing, stables or opinions ;)

If you came to see a horse of mine I would be wearing no hat, jeans, a blingy belt and cowboy boots, take it or leave it.

I've seen some cracking horses come out of cattle barns, hairy, feet needing trimming, manes long and tangled, with smelly old farmers with baler cord holding their pants up at the end of their rope halters.

I think that many people simply do not think about the impact a photo will have on some more judgmental possible buyers, or just don't have a more suitable photo at the time. Lack of forethought perhaps, but not necessarily an indication that the horse has been ill cared for.

Sure, it does leave an impression to see everything all nice and smart, but I am a sceptic, and often wonder if it isn't all gloss put on to impress, which it doesn't. It is like viewing a trailer with a lovely thick layer of straw laid down, you automatically kick it back to see what it is hiding ;)

As for the standing on the back thing, personally I think it just looks silly, but whatever rings your bell, if a horse will put up with that then it does say something for his nature.

Kadastorm

Visit site
Sorry, you wont want to view my advert. im 5'10, breaking in a 13.2hh pony as a project, and yes, i will be riding him in the ad.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Sorry, you wont want to view my advert. im 5'10, breaking in a 13.2hh pony as a project, and yes, i will be riding him in the ad.

I'd rather see a taller ride on a pony thats for sale as it gives you an OBVIOUS reason why its for sale than to just see a tacked up picture, the latter would make me question the reason for the sale :eek:

Freya1

Visit site
Well I must be odd then most out there seem to think it's OK!

I nearly always rode in jeans and short boots especially if just out for a hack when I had my last horse, and as I was at a DIY yard it was very laid back not many wore jods, what I am trying to say is from MY point of view as a buyer I don't think looking scruffy makes a good impression, I will pass by those horses, and maybe a good one because of the impression it gives ME!! I think selling a horse is like going for an interview unless you are going somewhere very laid back you wouldn't wear trackie bottoms!
Oh well enough said I will carry on looking!

Lizzie0682

Visit site
Totally agree! The best I saw was a young 'trendy' lad sat on stunning horse, he had on- a flat cap, no top, those low jeans do his pants were showing and flip flops?! What was the point! The horse was the most stunning horse I have ever seen and he definitely distracted from it, he was in ALL the pics! Catalogue style poses nextvto it and everything! When I got there turns out he was owners toy boy so she wanted to show him off! Madness!

nikCscott

Visit site
Its the ones that have a 6 month old baby sat on a 3 year old pony to show you how quiet they are- scare me to death :eek::eek:

Good luck in you search I know of a couple of nice horses for sale if you want to PM me what you're looking for?

Hedwards

Visit site
OP I feel your pain! I am currently starting to search for potential neds, and have found some of the adverts awful! I have no problem with people wearing what they want generally, but seriously, if you're trying to sell a horse at least provide decent photos showing the horse off to its best ability! Jumping a fence in the distance, pulling its nose in so it can sniff its own chest and blokes riding 'topless' really doesnt do it for me, oh and the ones that just provide a head shot of the horse completely annoy me too!

The whole standing on a horses back - or as i saw this morning leaping off the horses back completely confuzzles me... and as for some of the wording of the adverts...

However I have to say the good adverts do seem to outweigh the bad, which i guess is a positive!

Tr0uble

Visit site
Well I must be odd then most out there seem to think it's OK!

I nearly always rode in jeans and short boots especially if just out for a hack when I had my last horse, and as I was at a DIY yard it was very laid back not many wore jods, what I am trying to say is from MY point of view as a buyer I don't think looking scruffy makes a good impression, I will pass by those horses, and maybe a good one because of the impression it gives ME!! I think selling a horse is like going for an interview unless you are going somewhere very laid back you wouldn't wear trackie bottoms!
Oh well enough said I will carry on looking!

No, I'm with you! I'm a snob, and proud of it.

We have a local dealer (or three) in this area who think standing on a horses back makes it look safe...but i've seen first hand what goes on behind the scenes so when i see other people of a similar age, doing similar things....I can't look past it.

What can i say? Maybe it's a fault with me, but it's not one I'm about to change! lol!

cassie summers

Visit site
I look scruffy BECAUSE I look after my horse well :rolleyes:
If I ever come to sell I better smarten myself up :eek:

haha thats me then always scruffy from working with the horse must remember next time only to buy a horse from someone in full showing gear including hairnet must be where i am going wrong oh wait a minute i own a cob tut tut

Puppy

Visit site
I agree with you OP. Some dealers seem to take pride in showing their horses being ridden hatless, which I think looks very unprofessional and immensely offputting.

If someone doesn't have the sense to look after their own head, then how reckless must they be with the horse's legs?!

Holbert

Visit site
I'm also horse hunting and I agree with you 100% Freya1!

If the owner looks a numpty and advertises hatless etc, then odds are they've done numpty things with the horse and I don't want to have to try and undo their mistakes!

Elsiecat

Visit site
haha thats me then always scruffy from working with the horse must remember next time only to buy a horse from someone in full showing gear including hairnet must be where i am going wrong oh wait a minute i own a cob tut tut

Maybe we should start riding in cream breeches day-to-day :rolleyes:

Freya1

Visit site

I couldn't give a stuff what anyone wears day to day or hacking out, go naked if you want! As I said I rode in jeans!! I am talking about selling the horse and the impression it gives! Oh and by the way if you own a cob and think that I am being a snob, and no where have I mentioned cobs, my last horse was a maxi cob! But he scrubbed up well for a show!

Yes also agree with those that have said about pictures where the horse is half a mile away, in darkness, or just a head looking over a stable door the list goes on!

cassie summers

Visit site

Yes going to drag them out of the ironing basket as we speak and i think somewhere i have a hair net great for when i am poo picking but have to say i did see an ad last year for a rather smart cob but the owners looked like knobs didnt bother me with what they were wearing it was more the circus tricks they had the poor thing doing though showed he wasnt fussed about anything and on a different note i did buy my mare off a man in a flat cap :D

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Well, I think we are really discussing professionalism, or rather lack thereof, here, arn't we? I regularly ride scruffy horses, and wearing even scruffier items of clothing, but I wouldn't DREAM of putting a photo like this in an ad - what are people thinking of? And I especially like the ads that fail to mention sex/age/height; very helpful.

Elsiecat

Visit site
i did buy my mare off a man in a flat cap :D

So did I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahaha

OP, don't get offended I've gone completely off-topic and into my own little world quite a few comments ago, I think my last serious one was about me saying don't get offended and that I just thought you should maybe give the horses a chance without ruling them out on the grounds of how the owners looked! :D

*goes off to accidentally offend more of the world population*