So much rain

LHIS

Visit site
Anyone else suffering? In particular my fields at our new house are so blinking wet, I was standing ankle deep in mud today putting my horses out. It's rained every single day since we moved, and properly chucked it down, a few centimetres a day.
Fed up!

Whoopit

Visit site
Standard June and July and August.

It doesn't help at all at our yard as there's too many horses for the acreage and itsbadly managed so my gangly Thoroughbred is stafving when he should be looking like a Thelwell☹️

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Isn't it depressing. We need to send vibes to bump the jet stream back up north of the UK where it should be at this time of year, instead it is way down south of us.

Skipton BE, which should have run at this coming w/e, was abandoned yesterday as their ground was waterlogged.

At least you'll be able to see the wet spots of your new land now, well in advance of winter. Spreading hardcore in gateways can help hugely, my land doesn't usually get too wet but the gateways need help.

Louby

Visit site
I was glad at first as it gave some relief from the flies but its like the weathers gone mad! Torrential rain one minute and glorious sunshine the next, with gale force winds thrown in to the mix! Its been so cold where we are with the wind, that some horses on the yard have had MW rugs on and arent too warm. Forecast today is heavy rain all day and its blooming sunny atm lol

Finlib

Visit site
I am using more hay now than I used in winter!!!!We don't have any mud as well drain land BUT the horses are not coming out of the open barn except to foray out in the odd sunny spell to grab a bit of grass then retreating into the barn again.
We made all our hay and haylege during the good spell in June so not worried about hay making but using more hay than winter and much more straw to keep the bed nice in the barn. The grass is running away with us as they are out grazing so little! Having to section off areas.Looks like we might make a second cut at this rate as we cut so early in June!Roll on winter they may be out more grazing!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Why can't we just have average weather in the Summer eh?

Why can't it just stay at a pleasant 23-25 degrees and sunny rather than either nausea-inducing temperatures in the 30's or hurricanes and monsoons?!

I hope we at least get a mild Winter to make up for the rubbish summer.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I am also having to bring the horses in most nights and using up bedding and haylage when normally I would hardly use any.

SEL

Visit site
Its my fault. I'm sorry.

When the sick note appaloosa stopped sweating and had an emergency vet visit (x 3) in that 30+ degree spell I wished for cooler weather until she was better. I think I wished a bit too hard.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'm not fussed about the temps - its just right for me :) Not too hot, not too cold :cool3:
Grass coming out of ears, all on diets, but the 2 mini's are heavily moulting now, grr - scratching on the shelters as itchy coat is falling.

Happy for you to send me your horses to fatten up a bit :D (and mow my grass before mine can go near it!)

LHIS

Visit site
I've just got home and been to check on them, one has obviously slid down a muddy bank and then had to jump the fence as I found one of them in a field and I didn't leave him in, and skid marks. They've then been doing their nut separated and churned up the grass into a mud pie. It's awful. Oh and it's raining currently. At this rate I might have to use my designated winter field to give these fields a chance! ����

Sparemare

Visit site
I'm loving it here in the south. We had a horrendously hot and dry start to the spring and summer and the fields burnt up to nothing. We thought we would go into winter with no grass at all.

SEL

Visit site
I've just got home and been to check on them, one has obviously slid down a muddy bank and then had to jump the fence as I found one of them in a field and I didn't leave him in, and skid marks. They've then been doing their nut separated and churned up the grass into a mud pie. It's awful. Oh and it's raining currently. At this rate I might have to use my designated winter field to give these fields a chance! ����
Our YO has kicked some of the horses onto winter grass to allow the summer fields a breather. She says it'll grow quickly enough once the horses are pulled back off it. Throwing hay at the rest of them though - firstly the grass didn't grow because there was no rain and now we have mud pits!

LHIS

Visit site
I've taken some photos of my lower paddock and middle paddock. It was raining again this morning, and the forecast for the next 7 days is currently rain, rain and more rain.
20597075_10100515187429792_2127345622221251903_n.jpg

20525879_10100515187444762_4016730032826988643_n.jpg

Yes, I have one of my boot legs rolled up and one rolled down. I don't know why! :D
20597511_10100515187439772_1263827080871800937_n.jpg

20479701_10100515187449752_8265249668000677981_n.jpg

horsesforcourses

Visit site
Yep, getting fed up with the rain as well. But only a couple of weeks ago the eventers were crying off events due to the rock hard ground.!!
Your land looks like it has a tendency to lie wet....those reedy tufts ......i have two fields with those in as well, and they like damp conditons.....mine has a slight bog in one part.
On the upside ....(always a bright side).....when every one else has no grass due to dry spells, these fields always manage to keep growing.x

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I've taken some photos of my lower paddock and middle paddock. It was raining again this morning, and the forecast for the next 7 days is currently rain, rain and more rain.
20597075_10100515187429792_2127345622221251903_n.jpg

20525879_10100515187444762_4016730032826988643_n.jpg

Yes, I have one of my boot legs rolled up and one rolled down. I don't know why! :D
20597511_10100515187439772_1263827080871800937_n.jpg

20479701_10100515187449752_8265249668000677981_n.jpg

That's pretty bad. My fields are muddy near the gateways but not too bad apart from that. It makes you wonder what winter will be like. Our gateways are not normally muddy in August! I hope that it gets better, though we don't want the temperatures they have in southern Europe at the moment.

LHIS

Visit site
The bottom half of my two paddocks are a bit wet, there is a natural spring nearby but prior to all the rain the land was fine underfoot. The rain is tipped it over the edge and it's now a quagmire in places. Higher up the ground is fine. I am wondering what I can do drainage wise to help, it will be very annoying if I have 2 paddocks I can't use!

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
It's lashing it down here this morning and has been on and off for the last few days. Nice temp tho - about 19. Can't function when it's too hot.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We are fortunate that we manage the paddocks well at our yard & we have plenty of grass. As regard the rain, we've had plenty but with the very dry weather we had before the water has just drained away. The only difference we've found since the heavy rains is that we can actually push a plastic post in the ground now without bending the point. ;)

Annagain

Visit site
On Sunday, I managed to get blue legs from the dye running on my new jeans, soaked right through to my knickers AND sunburn, all from a day running a riding club event!

Our fields are pretty good at the moment. The only slight issue is we're still on only half of the hay fields so any more rain and it'll soon get muddy with 12 horses on about 7 acres. YO only managed to cut 2 of the 6 fields in June as the others had had sheep on them until a bit later so weren't quite ready. Now the grass is ready they can't get a few dry days to cut it and the boys are waiting to have their full 18 acres!

Snuffles

Visit site
Im panicking that my winter section is gone mad and will be far too much for them to be turned out on in October !
It always seems to rain when we are wanting to cut the hay in our area.
I couldn't stand the 44 degrees they are getting on the continong though !

chaps89

Visit site
Our fields are holding up fine although madam has now totally trashed her daytime pen so I'm going to have to give in and move it along a bit I think as it's now like an ice rink (were on chalk) got grass galore but fatty can't have any of it- I was just at the point where it had all burnt off that I thought I could get away with her having a few hours on the grass muzzle free when the rain started so that put paid to that idea!

LHIS

Visit site
I don't know, I'd appreciate a hot stretch to get some evaporation going on my boggy bits :(
I have a lot of grass in my winter field, but it's got to see me through winter and the grass quality is scrubby moor type rough grasses.

asmp

Visit site
I'm loving it here in the south. We had a horrendously hot and dry start to the spring and summer and the fields burnt up to nothing. We thought we would go into winter with no grass at all.

Agree with this (although the rain did go on forever yesterday and I felt rather sorry for ponies)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The bottom half of my two paddocks are a bit wet, there is a natural spring nearby but prior to all the rain the land was fine underfoot. The rain is tipped it over the edge and it's now a quagmire in places. Higher up the ground is fine. I am wondering what I can do drainage wise to help, it will be very annoying if I have 2 paddocks I can't use!
Lovely outlook, OP, but the rushes suggest that your land is regularly wet. Honey08 has a good set up on wet land with a hardstanding area for winter use, and she may not be very far from you. If you do a search, she's posted about it before with lots of pics.

LHIS

Visit site
Lovely outlook, OP, but the rushes suggest that your land is regularly wet. Honey08 has a good set up on wet land with a hardstanding area for winter use, and she may not be very far from you. If you do a search, she's posted about it before with lots of pics.

Thank you I will have a look

Sparemare

Visit site
Agree with this (although the rain did go on forever yesterday and I felt rather sorry for ponies)

Ours came in and spent a lovely evening and night munching hay and watching the rain. They will be disappointed to be out again tonight

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Lovely outlook, OP, but the rushes suggest that your land is regularly wet.

We had a very wet corner in one field (no reeds though). We planted some hedging (hawthorn and dogrose) and it has improved immensely. In your position, OP, I would put the horses onto your winter field for a week or two to allow your paddocks to recover a bit. The September flush will boost your winter grazing again, when you take the horses back off.