So nagging with your legs...

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Is very much acceptable in Olympic dressage. Some awful riding seen today, but hey because they are Olympians it's acceptable... Sigh.

oldie48

Visit site
I haven't watched all the tests today so I can't comment on "nagging legs" however what I do find sad is the willingness of people (who haven't qualified to represent their country) to criticise. Eventing is a minority sport, not many countries can put together a team for the Olympics and I'm glad that the sport is included as it's one we are rather good at. I don't think any horses were damaged by their riders and frankly I'm happy to support anyone who is game enough to compete at this level, if their head bobs a bit or their legs nag a bit, so what?

Mrs B

Visit site
I haven't watched all the tests today so I can't comment on "nagging legs" however what I do find sad is the willingness of people (who haven't qualified to represent their country) to criticise. Eventing is a minority sport, not many countries can put together a team for the Olympics and I'm glad that the sport is included as it's one we are rather good at. I don't think any horses were damaged by their riders and frankly I'm happy to support anyone who is game enough to compete at this level, if their head bobs a bit or their legs nag a bit, so what?

This. Muchly.

Batgirl

Visit site

Yup yup yup

only_me

Visit site
Is very much acceptable in Olympic dressage. Some awful riding seen today, but hey because they are Olympians it's acceptable... Sigh.

They are doing sitting trot. To have a relaxed and secure seat means a relaxed leg, i.e. Looser so it will bounce a bit. But I saw no nagging of the legs. They were not constantly kicking the horse which is nagging. They may have been trying to keep their horses concentration so maybe used their legs a bit more but imo there was no nagging.

The riders, who are all top of their game, have secure seats so legs are looser but ridden from the seat mainly. There is always going to be movement of the lower legs due to the action of sitting trot so while it looks like they are kicking, they are not. Just watch the vid of Charlotte - her lower leg is very relaxed but the movement of the horses trot causes her leg to move. Same with the eventers!

https://youtu.be/DcDLLxgWa_Y

Tbh, this is the problem with HHO. No one is ever happy with the riding at the top level, there is always something that the riders are doing wrong and not like they should be. Even though the top riders get top level coaching and I'm sure a simple problem like nagging would have been commented on if they actually did it, Someone on HHO still disagrees...

dixie

Visit site
I agree. Everyone's an expert online.
I didn't see any awful riding. Yes of course some were better than others. Some horses are easier to sit to the trot than others and at the end of the day they are jumping machines not dressage horses. I enjoyed what I watched��

Bessi

Visit site
They are doing sitting trot. To have a relaxed and secure seat means a relaxed leg, i.e. Looser so it will bounce a bit. But I saw no nagging of the legs. They were not constantly kicking the horse which is nagging. They may have been trying to keep their horses concentration so maybe used their legs a bit more but imo there was no nagging.

The riders, who are all top of their game, have secure seats so legs are looser but ridden from the seat mainly. There is always going to be movement of the lower legs due to the action of sitting trot so while it looks like they are kicking, they are not. Just watch the vid of Charlotte - her lower leg is very relaxed but the movement of the horses trot causes her leg to move. Same with the eventers!

Tbh, this is the problem with HHO. No one is ever happy with the riding at the top level, there is always something that the riders are doing wrong and not like they should be. Even though the top riders get top level coaching and I'm sure a simple problem like nagging would have been commented on if they actually did it, Someone on HHO still disagrees...

This 100%!

Dowjones

Visit site

Totally agree! A leg wth no movement is tense and not truly relaxed. All I see are very supple riders.

oldie48

Visit site
Well today I saw most of the tests, didn't see a single nagging leg and thought the riding was pretty good considering they were Olympians. Alex (China) was great to watch and he's pretty young too, I really love the way he rides, so quiet. I saw several rather "hot" horses, pretty relieved the riders didn't nag them as it would have got pretty nasty, thought they were ridden very sympathetically. Saw some horses with pretty ordinary paces (considering) do some lovely consistent tests and get good marks. IMHO the riding was very good considering they are eventers and tomorrow they are going round a pretty tricky XC course when you want the horse to be able to think for itself and then they'll have to do a SJ course when they will need to have a horse that is careful (and not tired). Gosh, who'd be an eventer rider there must be easier ways of earning a living!

daffy44

Visit site
I find this is sad, I really dont know if this is specific to equestrian sports, but I cant bear the way people feel the need to be unpleasant about each other. These riders have been chosen to represent their countries at the Olympics, 99% of them are 4* riders, they have trained and prepared for this moment, and once they are in that test they are trying their absolute best to deal with the situation, how their horse feels etc. I havent seen all of the dressage tests over the last two days, but I've seen a few and I have not seen anything that deserves to be criticised by someone sitting at home behind a computer. I would be the first to criticise any cruelty or nastiness to the horses, but there was none of that. I just think we need to have a little more respect for some incredible riders and their awesome horses doing their absolute best in one of the highest pressure situations imaginable for a sportsperson.

oldie48

Visit site
Oh gosh, I was attempting to be ironic, if you read my first post you will know my sentiments but perhaps you haven't read from the beginning? But you are quite right I was being unpleasant but to the OP who's post I considered to be rather foolish!
I find this is sad, I really don't know if this is specific to equestrian sports, but I cant bear the way people feel the need to be unpleasant about each other. These riders have been chosen to represent their countries at the Olympics, 99% of them are 4* riders, they have trained and prepared for this moment, and once they are in that test they are trying their absolute best to deal with the situation, how their horse feels etc. I havent seen all of the dressage tests over the last two days, but I've seen a few and I have not seen anything that deserves to be criticised by someone sitting at home behind a computer. I would be the first to criticise any cruelty or nastiness to the horses, but there was none of that. I just think we need to have a little more respect for some incredible riders and their awesome horses doing their absolute best in one of the highest pressure situations imaginable for a sportsperson.

daffy44

Visit site
Oh my goodness, the perils of not expressing myself well in print! I'm so sorry oldie48, I certainly didnt mean you, I agreed with everything you said. I was referring to the OP, as I thought it was such a shame that while watching the Olympics someones first thought was to post on a forum criticising some of the worlds best eventers. Many apologies.

oldie48

Visit site
No probs I was a bit quick of the mark! Just been reading a BD FB post about the use of double bridles v snaffles by the Rio eventers and although the initial post was OK it didn't take long for people to start piling in with the criticism. It just makes me very cross really. I love to watch and try to anticipate what the the commentators are going to say but that comes from a real interest in the sport, not the need to knock the competitors, which is a very different I think. I also find I learn a good deal from watching riders and find the more I know the more I respect good riding.
Oh my goodness, the perils of not expressing myself well in print! I'm so sorry oldie48, I certainly didnt mean you, I agreed with everything you said. I was referring to the OP, as I thought it was such a shame that while watching the Olympics someones first thought was to post on a forum criticising some of the worlds best eventers. Many apologies.