So near and yet so far. A BUCs Regionals report

charlimouse

Visit site
Having got through our mini league reasonably comfortably by winning 3 and coming 2nd once out of the 4 competitions, today was regionals. I was first of the team to ride in the dressage, and I drew the same horse that I had at the mini league round. He was very lazy, so spent the warm up getting him as forwards off the leg as possible. He died a little bit on me in the test, and we broke early in our second canter, but other than that it wasn't too bad. I managed to get the best score on him, and the rest of the team did well to be leading after the dressage :).

On to the SJ. I was first on for the team again, and drew a skewbald sports horse type. He was a nice horse to jump, but just had a tendancy to get a bit long and then would fight the hand if you tried to pull, so had to use alot of seat to hold him together. Just as I finished my warm up, somebody fell off, so que a 10 minute wait, which made my horse switch off a bit. Into the ring, we had a good stride to fence 1, but unfortunately the horse knocked it down. Related distance down to 2. I waited for 6 strides which is what it walked and we got there on 5 1/2 :rolleyes:. Que another knock down :eek:. I then got my act together and we finished the round really well, just meeting every fence nicely in a good rhythm. But I was kicking myself about the first 2 fences :cool:. Unfortunately luck wasn't on the team's side in the jumping, and despite the team all riding well, poles kept falling :(, and unfortunately 1 of my team mates had a really unfortunate round as the horse was knackered.

So we nervously waited for scores, and we finished 2nd by 1.5 penalties, so just missed qualifying for the finals :(. However luckily for me the judge liked my riding in the jumping, so despite knocking 2 fences down (which was more than anybody else on that horse!) I still got the best score on him. This meant I won individually :D, with another team member 3rd, and another member 5th. Unfortunately riding in the trophy league no individualy qualify for the finals, which I think is pretty mean (I would :rolleyes::p). A frustrating result really :eek:, but I do keep reminding myself that to win individually with 0 penalties at regionals is a decent achievement :p.

Today was also another bandage change for Jem. It is looking a little more gunky today than it has been, so will probs do another bandage change a little earlier to check it before the weekend. *WARNING GORY PICTURE*

What do you think :eek:?

Nothing to offer you as I ate all the cake :rolleyes:!

bubbaloonie

Visit site
Well done! I used to ride on my uni's team a few years ago. It's so much fun, isn't it? Might you get the chance to try again next year? We went to nationals twice, which was great. The only time ill ever compete at arena uk I expect!

horseywelsh

Visit site
Well done, great achievement and I would say a performance which should boost you to A team next year (if you have another yr at uni).

From past experince, I share your frustrations with the trophy indviduals. I was fortunate to qualify for nationals with the tropy team a couple years back. I can see why they don't allow more to qualify as the schedule was packed over 3 days and the number of horses that were required already for the nationals (as there are numerous rounds at nationals) was alot. At Hartpury they clearly have alot of horses but some were still used frequetly.

noname

Visit site
That's awsome, get you! You need a bit of luck on your side with uni comps! To win a regional is a brilliant achievement!

Don't know the story behind gem but that wound looks like its healing ok, hope she recovers quickly.

rara007

Visit site
Well done! Our As missed out by a similar margin, we have ours next week :D Are you going to do the student festival on one of yours?

charlimouse

Visit site
Well done! Our As missed out by a similar margin, we have ours next week :D Are you going to do the student festival on one of yours?

Both Jem and Pickle have qualified, but I doubt Jem will be fit, and it is a very long way for me to go, so don't think i'm going to bother :cool:.