So now my loaner wants me to take back the horse for winter RANT

fatpiggy

Visit site
Thank goodness the loaner doesn't own a horse! I've always said that the first winter is a good test of a new owner. When your boots freeze to the yard while you are waiting for the buckets to fill, you know whether you are up to it or not! One of the liveries on my place has said quite openly they don't want to have to visit their horse EVERY day in the winter. My mouth fell open. I see my horse twice a day 7 days a week, whatever the weather and l live over 17 miles from the yard.

Bangagin

Visit site
Unfortunately loaners like this give good, dependable, reliable loaners a bad name. :( I returned a loan horse recently, but have had him since November last year and he just wasn't what I wanted as he was extremely nappy and had a habit of rearing which dented my confidence. But I would never have dreamed of returning him just because of the harsh winter months. Incredible!

Mithras

Visit site
I'm appalled. This is why some people (me included) would rather have a horse standing in a field than loan out and risk being messed around like this. Nothing would ever persuade me to loan again after having one pony sent back twice after exactly six months when the loanee got bored. Easy come, easy go...

There are plenty of decent riders out there who can improve the horse that they can ride and/or have a competition record, who don't expect to be provided with horses to ride for a period that suits them...

Surely you are not going to let her have him back next year?!?

City Mare

Visit site
Slightly off topic..but..I really hate winter, I mean HATE it. I start to dread it and start to count down the months to it's approach even in June (I'm currently swallowing St John's Wort by the handful in preparation for this year)!

But, I am sure the only thing that got me through last winter (my first winter of sharing) was going down to the yard after work and just having some chill out time with the Ned. And when I say "after work", that's having an intense day working til from 7.30 to 6.30 - then commuting home for an hour by train, getting changed in the station car park (so i was still warm from the packed out train) and driving down dark country lanes, come snow or hail, to get to the yard to muck out and ride before getting back home after 9!

For some reason it made that loooong winter much more bearable.

I REALLY hope I am still saying the same after this winter :(

Dubsie

Visit site
AND I didn't mention the fact that she weighs 15 stone and had lost her confidence to the extent where she was nervous to even ride. He has completely rebuilt her confidence. When I went to see him I got a bit suspicious as she was going on about how much work it was and having to poo pick every night after riding. I don't think she deserves him really. I brought him for hubby but he wasn't interested. He won heaps of dressage with me (70% +) so is a fantastic ride. And he would hack down the M4 and he jumps too.

Hmmn if you sent him to me I wouldn't actually want to hack down the M4 but he could wave a leg at it! He sounds lovely,. I wonder if she thought it was a breeze keeping a pony, not having had one before, whereas in reality it is hard work and a big commitment.

Hels_Bells

Visit site
We had a similar thing happen. Lowness couldn't keep pony as she didn't get on with new horse and blah blah blah. Came back to us and I slogged away through -26 winter with 3 horses trying to do my final year at Uni etc etc etc.. Suddenly come spring.... Wed like her back!! Yeah right!!! So i do all the work and pay all the winter bills And you then just take her back??? Luckily I had found a lovely sharer for her in early spring, so had perfect excuse to say no!!!

You do the right thing get him home, he deserves better!!

...cheeky c*w... Can I still come ride... Honestly!!!

SGCR

Visit site
Unbelievable.

Cracking black bompbroof cob loaned to lady in her 50's in the Summer. Now I get an email saying she won't cope in the winter and could she send him back to me for winter and get him back in the Spring.

She did add that she hopes I didn't think she was being cheeky. LOL.

Jeezo some people.

where about are you, Would you consider loaning him out to a responsible person that understands that you pay and look after a horse 4 seasonly rather than just the summer. As my mothers looking for a cobby type to ride out with my eventer. x

Flame_

Visit site
do you really think you should be slagging her off to such a degree so very publically? if you had such a low opinion of her why did you loan your horse to her in the first place?

What? The low opinion has probably come about as a result of this cheeky behaviour. I've also been messed about by idiotic loaners in the past and wouldn't feel bad about slagging them off on here or anywhere else for that matter, they ask for it! OP, you really mustn't let her have him back, take your pick from all the other people queuing up for such a horse.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
do you really think you should be slagging her off to such a degree so very publically? if you had such a low opinion of her why did you loan your horse to her in the first place?

I don't think thats fair really. How many owners have been duped by people who can talk the talk, but as time goes on, their actions do not live up to their promises.

Cazza525

Visit site
I don't think thats fair really. How many owners have been duped by people who can talk the talk, but as time goes on, their actions do not live up to their promises.

Yep, not so long ago. Lived and 'hopefully' learnt from it. Had someone recommended to me, worst mistake ever....ended up a total cowboy who claimed to have a wealth of experience but in reality was a numpty, low end trader. Hey ho, you do meet 'em :rolleyes:

On the plus side OP, you sound like you've had a lucky escape with your super horse. I reckon he'll be snapped up! Think yourself as a lucky owner :)

Spring Feather

Visit site
It's simple, the person loaning doesn't want the horse any more, so just take back the horse. I don't loan horses out but I do sell them and when owners circumstances change they offer them back to me and I buy them back. I don't care what the reasons are, the reasons are not important to me.

Mithras

Visit site

Since you have to be a multi-millionaire to found an action in libel, I should think any legal danger is tiny, if you could find a judge who would take an action based on someone criticising the type of face another has on a website mainly comprised of gossiping females (sorry!) seriously. It would also then have to be proven not true by the loanee...

The other dangers seem to be irritating the loanee and causing any friends she has to be annoyed. That doesn't seem of great concern. The OP seems unlikely to harm any business contacts, since the loanee is a loanee, and not a buyer or customer.

OTOH, the OP is getting benefit from venting, may find other contacts from this thread and is gaining the gratitude of people she may bump into in real life by posting remarks that the majority I agree with.

Its notoriously difficult to spot timewasters from the outset too.

andraste

Visit site

Well, just to go against the flow I'm with jhoward. I'm not saying for a minute that the OP isn't telling the story exactly as it happened but it always makes me intensely uncomfortable when someone on here 'vents' about a loaner/ sharer. It may make the poster feel better but I always like to think about how the person being discussed would feel if they were to stumble across the posts.

The other party isn't here to defend themselves. They may have good reasons for what they have done or they may just have a complete brass neck but the point is we don't know.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I think when you sell a lot of horses timewasters are very easy to spot. People who sell/loan infrequently probably cannot pick up the signs so readily as they may be too eager to move the horse on.

Please could you give some tips RE spotting timewasters. They could prove very handy for me as I could possibly need a sharer/part loaner for one of my neddies in the future. :)

Kat

Visit site
I once looked at a loan horse who was only available May to September......... Sounded a cracking idea to me. Owner had him when she needed him and didn't have him when she was out at summer shows with her others. She got him back fitter than if she turned him away so saved herself fittening time. Meanwhile a loaner got a horse to hack

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site

suggesting that loaner was very fat and i quote .. a good 15 stone and had the sort of face that needed a slap i would say was a tad harsh, yes loaner maybe cheeky but what if she wre to read what op put

Yep, not so long ago. Lived and 'hopefully' learnt from it. Had someone recommended to me, worst mistake ever....ended up a total cowboy who claimed to have a wealth of experience but in reality was a numpty, low end trader. Hey ho, you do meet 'em :rolleyes:

On the plus side OP, you sound like you've had a lucky escape with your super horse. I reckon he'll be snapped up! Think yourself as a lucky owner :)

awful when that happens isnt it, its like the world being full of egits that talk the talk .. the worst is the owners that sell/send horses to people without being truthful. the ones that get me are the ones that give it all the talk but are scared of the tiny pony grazing in the pretty field:)

Cazza525

Visit site
Please could you give some tips RE spotting timewasters. They could prove very handy for me as I could possibly need a sharer/part loaner for one of my neddies in the future. :)

1. Don't just go on a recommendation, look into the person yourself.
2. Check the person's premises, and beware of people that jump from yard to yard due to a) financial and b) general fall out.
3. If said loaner wishes to compete and your horse is of a certain quality, check their capabilities and/or showing record. Half the time when they said my horse or a horse i used to have has competed at a certain level, in reality, they may have managed to get there, but are the 'wrong' end of the line.
3. Make sure the contract is watertight, ie. loanee will have the said horse for a good amount of time that is not in the OP's case, just for the summer months.
4. Keep in good regular contact and be prepared for collecting horse at 24hrs notice.
5. Be 100% sure it's the right thing for both you and your horse. There are a lot of dubious horse people out there.

I have had a pony out on loan for 8 years and have been so lucky and have made close friends with them. However, she can always come home :)