So sad at this situation

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve worked in a racing yard 7/8 years and I’m not sure how long ago but a horse arrived (maybe 5 yrs)
He wasn’t the nicest, everyone hated him and over the years staff have come and gone and no one has liked him, some even refused to do him.
I’ve liked him from the start, at first I felt sorry for him but the more time I wasted with him the better he became. He’s my absolute all time work favourite. I’ve had many many others I’ve been fond of over the years but not like this one. He even has spent his holidays with me at mine.
It’s been a unspoken kind of thing that one day he’d retire and I’d probably have him.
However it’s happened far sooner than anticipated, he’s 8 and I thought had years left but he stopped running well and has a slight leg so he’s done.
My position is that I could do with a few less not one more. Time, space and money wise.
However the thought of him being given free to the first person who turns up with a trailer is killing me. I’m scared of what will happen to him and of spending the next god knows how long wondering if he’s ok.
If he were a super easy perfect temperament horse I’d not be so worried.
In my head I know I can’t have him, in my heart I’m desperately scrabbling at ideas to make it work.
Maybe grass livery, turn him away for a year. Realistically mine are all getting on and one is literally on borrowed time :’( -( actually he was a silly heart over head one years and years ago and that worked! )
I’m having an easy time atm, all chucked out in the field together, lovely weather, no mud, grass so I’m not doing a lot and I think I’d be more sensible if it were mid winter and I was trying to balance work with having mine in and ridden, maybe that would be different?
In a million years I’d never take on another horse now, if it weren’t this one, this situation.
I don’t think there’s any huge rush as he’s currently rehabbing so can’t be offered to anyone anyway but when the time comes :(
For now I’m just spending time with him after or before work so I’m a way I’m already doing him in my own time but as above it’s far from hard work yet.
I keep saying no but....

paddi22

Visit site
I completely undersatnd that, and I think you'd always been wondering what happened to him. If I was in your boots I'd take him and throw him out on cheap grass livery until I had time.

Reactions: DD

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Would you? I mean he’s not ready for that yet but it’s my only could work option.
In summer he can be here with my others and in all honesty I don’t think the old boys going to see many more winters.
Finding cheap grass round here seems virtually impossible is the other issue

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
what a difficult position you are in. if it was me i would have him and if i couldnt keep him long term would try and find him a good home, but would only loan him. i am pretty sad at the moment as i have given my loan horse back due to my physical problems but luckily she has gone back to where she was born and had spent 18 years, she spent 2 years with me and i would have loved to keep her but last winter nearly killed me and as i am an oldie i know it wont get any better...it was difficult enough giving her up but its worse for you and i think if you let him go to just any old place you will always worry about him...

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Over my time working in racing of course I’ve seen so many come and go, I can usually shut them out and just not think about them. Out of sight out of mind but this chaps different.
He wintered out with my retired horse last year until it got too muddy but of course I can’t control the weather so if it tips down all December I’d be stuffed. Last year worked well as by the time the field was wrecked he was due to start back in training.

Visit site
I know exactly what you are going through! I took one home that hated men, hated being rugged, being in the field, being ridden, having a bed in his stable etc. He had slipped the tendon off of his hock so he was no use to man nor beast but I couldn't see him put down. So I took him home. The first tb I ever took home. Did all his box rest and rehab. I rode him for a bit but he was mechanically lame and hated it so he did 2 inhand shows where he was an utter lunatic and he retired completely to the field where he lived happily for 8 years before a bizarre accident gave me option but to pts.

Does he need box rest or can you just bung him out? When would you be able to take him home? Would the yard do the box rest/walking work?

You know your going to end up taking him home ... Just try to prolong his arrival as much as possible to give yourself time to make arrangements.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Sorry but I am another go with your heart kind of girl, definitely have him find some turnout for him and he may come good for some light riding hopefully, and if not at least you have control of what happens to him

Reactions: DD

HeyMich

Visit site
When you say he's not easy to do, what do you mean? Is he dangerous or just grumpy with people? How would he be with your other horses out in a herd? That would sway my decision - if he's going to cause trouble, then it would be a no. If he's going to happily mooch along with the others, then yes.

As others have said, at least you can decide on his future/pts if the time comes.

Good luck with the decision, and let us know what you decide.

Annagain

Visit site
I'd get him home and worry about the details later. These things have a habit of working themselves out. If nothing else, you could find him a home/sharer that suits him and know that you've done your best for him.

paddi22

Visit site
Yeah thing can often work out unexpectedly. I took pity on an absolute crock of an exracer with a few issues (who is no use to me or really anyone at all) and I really didn't need an extra mouth to feed, but no-one else would have taken her and I just couldn't let her go to a bad future. And I agonised about it like you, but in the end I just thought I'd always regret it if I didn't know where she went. I threw her in the field for half a year and then unexpectedly the offer of a perfect home came up for her as a therapy horse.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Not easy as in he will kick, bite and generally be bad tempered, however he’s not really tried either on me in a long long time now. Ridden wise he’s bit of a sh@t, I’ve not ridden him myself. Generally only one person who is tbh a bad match rides him, they hate each other so I’m sure he might settle with me riding him (or I may have my head in the clouds)

So he’s currently walking on the walker daily which I do anyway and I’d like to leave it that way as long as possible.
I mean really Until the bitter end 😂. (All winter would be lovely!) I have absolutely no clue where the heck I’m going to put him!
Yes he’s ok turned out with others so that shouldn’t be a problem.

Damn you all, you were supposed to hammer some sense into me 😉🙄

CMcC

Visit site
I'll say take him and worry about the details later, which is what I'd do but maybe not the soundest of advice for you and your situation...
If you can afford him then I'd say squeeze him in somewhere :)
Yep, that’s what I would do! I am always doing seemingly crazy things - I lack impulse control - but somehow things seem to work out OK and I usually learn something along the way.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
You are being silly. I can say this because I have in the past also loaded myself down with horses that "deserve a chance" and need saving....Life is not fair, and particularly not fair to horses. In my case it's not racing TB's, but Spanish horses bought by foolish people who don't have a clue, but the end result will be an overwhelmed, exhausted you and horses that will need more than you can physically give them. Be sensible; sometimes unsuitable horses are better off NOT being rescued...

Boulty

Visit site
I’m normally captain sensible but in this situation if you can find a way to do it (eg grass livery as you mentioned which may do him a world of good) I’d take him. You’ll only wonder what might have been if you don’t. Just be prepared to make some difficult decisions if it doesn’t work out

Mule

Visit site
I'm very soft and lucky enough to have land so I would take him home but
You are being silly. I can say this because I have in the past also loaded myself down with horses that "deserve a chance" and need saving....Life is not fair, and particularly not fair to horses. In my case it's not racing TB's, but Spanish horses bought by foolish people who don't have a clue, but the end result will be an overwhelmed, exhausted you and horses that will need more than you can physically give them. Be sensible; sometimes unsuitable horses are better off NOT being rescued...
Are Spanish horses very much different in temperament than the average ISH type? I've never been around Spanish horses so I know nothing about them.

chaps89

Visit site
In all honesty- it's hard and it's heart breaking but I wouldn't do it.
I think you've had vet bills for some of yours recently, what happens if there's another one?
I broke my heart not taking on a Welsh cob a couple of years ago. 2 years on and there's still times I cry about him.
But honestly, I'd be in a far worse position than the occasional bout of (hormonal?) crying if I had taken him as it would have been a stretch too far.
I'm sorry, I know that might be hear but honestly I do know how hard it is when they're under your skin.

In response to another poster - Spanish horses are a world apart to ISH in my humble/limited opinion. Especially some of the imported ones.

JulesRules

Visit site
My motto in life is that it's always better to regret the stuff you do do, than the stuff that you don't.

If you think you will spend the rest if your life wishing you had taken him home then just do it. You were planning on doing it anyway, it's just a bit sooner.

Sorry we are all so unhelpful at being sensible!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I'm very soft and lucky enough to have land so I would take him home but

Are Spanish horses very much different in temperament than the average ISH type? I've never been around Spanish horses so I know nothing about them.

Oh boy: totally! That is the problem you see; people assume they are nice, easy horses because they see them being lovely and so well behaved (in Spain, usually), but they are hot hot hot, super sensitive and extremely intelligent, which causes problems if you are not that kind of rider.

Mule

Visit site
Oh boy: totally! That is the problem you see; people assume they are nice, easy horses because they see them being lovely and so well behaved (in Spain, usually), but they are hot hot hot, super sensitive and extremely intelligent, which causes problems if you are not that kind of rider.
I see. I think I'll stick with my trusty ISH types then 😉