So sad...

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Some of you may remember me as Lucy_Ally after my old loan horse. I have just heard that things aren't good with him. After I gave him up when I bought Spring, his owner struggled to find someone to take over and sad to say he became a little neglected
frown.gif
he wasn't regularly shod and wasn't checked everyday. I heard he had got a new sharer but after 3 months off work they just asked too much of him in the school and his back legs gave way and he fell. Another person took over but apparently he bolted with her (something he never did with me) so she has stopped riding him. Another person is now interested but is worried about his spooking (he is very spooky) and I just feel that his owner is palming him off onto anyone who'll have him
frown.gif

Last time I saw him he had not had his feet done for over 2months and was skin and bone as he wasn't being fed everyday. He is an old man of 19/20 and he needs some tlc. I feel sad and a bit guilty that I loved him and spoiled him for 2 1/2 years and now he must feel so forgotten and unloved. I know his owner struggles for time and money, but she scrimps on the things that he needs the most.

Sorry, just whinging and feeling sad. If I won the lottery I would him have to retire with me.
frown.gif

meandmyself

Visit site
Aww hon. That's such a hard situation to be in. There's really nothing you can do except talk to his owner, see if you can make her see sense.

Huge hugs!

moocow

Visit site
that must be heart breaking for you but its not your fault. He i not our horse. have you got a good relationship with the owner? Is there anyway you could talk to her and persuade her to sell him or maybe get in touch with a retirement centre and let him enjoy his mature years????

I hope it works out......

Tia

Visit site
That is sad - poor old guy. I have my old horse out on permanent loan but he stays here so I can keep a close eye on him. I feed him and he always has his feet done every 6 weeks along with the rest of them. His "owner" does take good care of him though.

I hate to see these old horses not being looked after and almost discarded - seems all wrong when we think of how much joy they gave as younger horses.
frown.gif

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Thanks, TBH I have a fairly good relationship with his owner but one of the reasons I decided to buy another horse was because she wouldn't listen to my advice and wouldn't spend money on feed. I gave her £15 per week and on top of that I was buying extra feed for him just to keep him ticking over. She doesn't seem to see any problem with him and when I pointed out that he was a bit underweight she just said he is always like that, by buying my own feed I proved that actually he didn't have to be. The person who is interested in him would be a nice home - but he is an older man and is worried about coming off if Ally spooks, which is most likely. Plus as an aged TB with a history of back troubles there are not many who would take him on. A retirement home wuld be great but I don't think she will find one easily and certainly won't pay for him to go to one like HenryHorns sadly.
Its a shame as he is such a sweetie. This is him when I had him:

DSC01965.jpg

Whilst he would never be considered "well covered"at least he had good muscle tone and he wasn't all hips and ribs like he had been.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
How sad. She'd be better off having the poor old boy put down if she doesn't have the funds to look after him, and can find no one else to do it properly.