So, what do I need?

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
Eeeek! I’ve accepted an apprenticeship position on an eventer’s yard. I wasn’t really aiming for a place before the autumn but it came up, it’s perfect, some things you just have to go for!
So now I need to get organised. Waterproof everything is very much needed, and at some point tough jodhpur boots, and just... general moving out things? I’ll be living in a static caravan so I can’t do anything permanent to it, but it would be nice to do a bit of decorating. It has a pretty cottagey/cosy sort of feel.
So, any suggestions, ideas, either for waterproofs, boots, moving out or things I haven’t thought of are welcome!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Congratulations!

2 skull caps, many, many waterproof jackets, many more gloves, sun cream, baseball hat for the sun, sturdy yard boots (I like Mountain Horse for protection and comfort), general clothing, an alarm clock (!), a smile, loads of energy!

I would stock up on tins of beans and rice pudding, instant warmth and energy. If there is no microwave then get a cheap one from Tesco or somewhere.

More duvets than you think you will need too, the caravans are cold in this weather!

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
Thanks ? It has a tv, not that I will use it much, and a microwave, kettle, stove and oven. Didn’t check if they all worked but fingers crossed!
Rice puddings are a good idea. I think I’ll need to plan food carefully - I eat a lot at the moment to keep a steady weight, and I’m not doing half so much work.
ETA - I’ve been looking at stierna/musto coats. Are they worth it, or is it better just to get multiple cheaper coats and change when needed?

palo1

Visit site
Congratulations! For steady energy and weight maintenance nuts are great as well (chocolate covered is optional!) . Tinned rice pudding, tinned fruit and custard, plenty of pasta lol. As well as a microwave a slow cooker is cheap and can be incredibly useful; you bung everything in and leave it for hours then you have a meal as soon as you want when you get in tired. :) If you are doing grim yard jobs in bad weather farmers waterproof trousers and Dickies waterproof jackets are great and will do a very good job whilst saving your decent riding suitable waterproofs which are far more expensive. Not glamorous but cheap and sturdy. :) Buy some really comfy wellies too. How exciting for you - really wishing you the best luck with your new position!! :)

mossycup

Visit site
I'd go cheaper for jackets so you can wash repeatedly and abuse them! Apt Cavalier do a nice thin padded jacket, toggi have a nice waterproof one, any of the dublin ones would work, the weatherbeeta kyla is excellent if you can find them in stock.

TPO

Visit site
Lots of layers!

Lots of changes of socks/underwear because energy and time to do loads of washing probably wont exist into the season!

Cosy sleeping bag, hot water bottles and heated wheat bags.

If cooking isnt your forte then the A Girl Called Jack books, particularly the first one, is good for basic bulk cooking and shopping on a budget but still making sure that you are getting enough veg & good stuff.

Winters100

Visit site
Hmm. Well there probably won't be enough conveniently located plug sockets, so a couple of extension cords with multiple sockets. A good torch. I use the thermal base layers a lot and they help. At least 2 pairs of waterproof boots. Ice and heat packs for any aches and pains, plasters, painkillers and something like deep heat cream. Selection of herbs and spices - can make even the blandest meal better. Unbreakable mug with cover. Your own sheets and towels, even if they provide them they might be horrid, and some basic cleaning materials packed in an easy to reach place, just in case the previous occupant has left it less spotless than you would like. Maybe think about a toaster. Also perhaps a small 'cash box' with a padlock and chain so you can fix it to something. Speaker and earphones. Warm pyjamas, warm slippers and flip flops. Enthusiasm and sense of humour.

Sounds like a great adventure, good luck and enjoy it!

ruth83

Visit site
Is the caravan connected to mains gas? If it runs from bottles, always make sure you have something that can be cooked with electrics only when it runs out!
Think about what pans/crockery/cutlery is in there and what you might need. If you do need 'everything', Ikea do start up boxes for students which have basic pans and 1 or 2 sets of cutlery, crockery and glasses. They're cheap and cheerful, but use them to start and see what you use most, then you can buy better quality versions of these when you're on your feet and they need replacing.
Tupperware for storing leftovers.

A large doormat - ideally one of those 'mud catcher' ones. Be religious about taking your boots off when you go inside (from this POV, slip on/zip up boots rather than lace ups make life easier, but only if they fit you well and are comfy).

Layers. Many, many layers! It will be freezing at 6am but you will be sweating by 7. Then if you get a coffee break at 9 you'll be cold again! Also on this point...deodorant. Obvious, but there are many grooms who don't get the obvious.

Hand cream.
Painkillers

To make the place feel like home, a few framed pictures from home will help. A couple of cushions and a throw can be bought inexpensively (Wilko, Ikea, Asda Home). They will put a personal touch on the place and keep it comfy. If the mattress isn't great, a mattress topper might be a decent investment (B&M or Aldi)

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
Thank you everyone for the help - it’s all been very useful, and lots of things I hadn’t thought of.
Quite a bit of online shopping has taken place! Lots of waterproofs, boots, spare boots, so I think it’s just things for the caravan now. Definitely getting a hot water bottle, I don’t cope very well in the cold! I’m going in early June so have a bit of time to prepare.

sunnyone

Visit site
Sudocrem for all sorts of cuts, rashes, rough skin etc. A box of plasters, and a couple of colourful vet wraps for your own wounds.
A bottle of lemon juice as an alternative to tea/ coffee/alcohol.
Some nice clothes in case you get a surprise invite.
Books and magazines.
A cheap bike to get out on after work if you don't have anything else. Walking everywhere is sooo slow.

Firefly9410

Visit site
Two hot water bottle the second one is for your feet end of the bed. I need half a packet of biscuits daily in addition to normal amount of food so I don't lose weight when I am working in a physical job and lucozade sport drinks or similar for the sweaty summer days water is not enough. Caravans have a fridge but no freezer so lots of tinned food. A flame on a stick machine thing so you can light the hob without burning your fingers and lighter fuel to fill the machine thing up. Sorry cannot remember the proper name for it! A kettle that goes on the hob and whistles when it is boiled. For quick food tin soup bag of ready cooked rice tin veggies and heat all together in a saucepan. Can throw a tin of fish or packet of ready cooked meat in there too if you want. Oxo cubes and dried barley for making casserole/stew in the slow cooker. Gel or sheep skin seat saver if you are going to be riding lots more than usual.