So what does horse riding look like where you're living?

Four Seasons

Visit site
Holland has a way better climate then England! Winters can be harsh, with temperatures around -10 (flat enviroment, so wind cuts your face in the winter). Summer is absolutely amazing, 25-30 degrees starting in May all the way till September. Plenty of sunny days, as England catches all the rain for us, we just get the right amount of rain to keep the grass growing. :D

FinalFurlong

Visit site
Holland has a way better climate then England! Winters can be harsh, with temperatures around -10 (flat enviroment, so wind cuts your face in the winter). Summer is absolutely amazing, 25-30 degrees starting in May all the way till September. Plenty of sunny days, as England catches all the rain for us, we just get the right amount of rain to keep the grass growing. :D

Now I am even more jealous!!

j1ffy

Visit site
Four Seasons - despite your protestations, The Netherlands looks stunning!

lucemoose - miss you here in HK ;) It's the HK Masters show-jumping next week!

Here's my second overseas life, with some pics from visiting my horses in Spain last week and a few earlier pics:

Out hacking on my horse with my friend's dog:

D35D70FF-2875-46A4-A46E-70308A8AE643-1870-000003A386F32586_zps63701da6.jpg

Schooling is a little different! My dressage trainer showing off P's Spanish walk:

P1000982_zps679e1481.jpg

And more traditional work on my OH's horse:

7d9fe42b-a642-461f-8c1e-637e93608b7c_zpsed3b8bfa.jpg

Me and P on the lake by the beach:

wed272_zpsc0a8d7da.jpg

The horses in their paddock (from the perspective of a 6yo 'borrowing' the camera!)

P1050584_zpsb35148fe.jpg

And, naturally, P at the bar last summer:

37911636-1f1a-4dd7-9196-4bc268b41601_zpsc593446d.jpg

texenstar

Visit site
So, I lived in Dubai for 2.5 yrs-

Lots of crazy desert gallops:

picture.php

Desert XC:

picture.php

picture.php

Stables ranged from Fun/Crazy local ("no need for safety" ;) ) stables:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

To the posh/high tech Polo and Equestrian Clubs:

picture.php

(excuse my jumping position :D)
picture.php

Indoor stables tend to be American Barn style and have full A/C. Limited grazing :( as it is mostly too hot but excellent hacking and lots of affiliated FEI shows. Most horses are Arabians and imported Warmbloods. Everything is full livery which includes being able to arrive to a fully tacked up horse ready to go (not that i ever did this :O I enjoy grooming far too much)

Sorry for all the pictures! Hong Kong looks really cool!

j1ffy

Visit site
It's really interesting to see Dubai and great to see loads of pics! We briefly toyed with the idea of a move to the Emirates last year ad I did some online research on horse riding - I could only see the very posh polo and equestrian club though. It's such a horse culture that I suspected there must be more... I guess it's a little like where I go in Spain - the web would only come up with Montenmedio but there are dozens of 'backyard' stables!!

texenstar

Visit site
It's really interesting to see Dubai and great to see loads of pics! We briefly toyed with the idea of a move to the Emirates last year ad I did some online research on horse riding - I could only see the very posh polo and equestrian club though. It's such a horse culture that I suspected there must be more... I guess it's a little like where I go in Spain - the web would only come up with Montenmedio but there are dozens of 'backyard' stables!!

Yeah, the smaller, more local stables rarely have websites and are more orientated to endurance riders, so less facilities but probably more relaxed and more fun than the posher stables. It was nice to see Hong Kong too! I used to live there when I was a kid but unfortunately i never did any riding there :(

NaeNae87

Visit site
I am on the West Coast of Australia, in Perth.

We have agistment centres (yards) that vary from amazing to shabby. Some offer stables and paddocks, some have yards and paddocks and some offer just paddocks...

My two are kept in a paddock 24/7, although last year they were in yards.

Bo in his yard
305664_10150859675596223_674496222_12227650_27017608_n.jpg

Bo and GK in their paddock getting the nasty flies at dinner time :)
E45BA46C-182A-47C9-858F-B6321CA58B50-1571-000001F149DA2C91.jpg

At shows we tend not to stable horses, they go in portable yards that attach to our floats.

Bo in his yard, with an awesome view of the 1* jumps :)
9F7B32EE-C023-4A0A-8642-D127CAF5630F-2857-0000031F019B3371_zps4ee63b76.jpg

It's normal to travel for a minimum of an hour to get to an event. Off the top of my head only 4 events that I will be attending this year are closer than an hour away.
Eventing Aussie style - Although when it is wet and raining, we put the swags (bedding) in the back of the float and sleep in there.
eventingaussiestyle_zps05fb86a3.png

GK and I at the 8th jump at Brigadoon this year at the start of the month
briggaz_zps8d45b8e9.png

Real men wear pink - representing for Breast Cancer Awareness month October last year.
dardanup_zps97c833a3.png

gkdard_zps348ddbdf.png

Most people have floats that load and unload to the rear. Side load ones are new and not many people have them. Some lucky people have trucks too :) my boss has a wicked 6 horse truck that I am very jealous of... Although I have cleaned that thing out enough times to know that I would want to be able to afford to have people clean it out for me, should I ever own one!

My float...
float_zps98a775ed.png

How I spent my Xmas eve... :)
horsediving_zps1b2bdd89.png

How I do fitness work... :)
45248372-12-12-24_Red_26761_zps4536dcec.jpg

j1ffy

Visit site
Naenae - horse riding 'round your way looks gorgeous! I love the beach riding and the pens you have at events. I feel your pain with flies and heat though, I'm covered in mossie bites at the moment and the horses have to be covered in fly spray for every ride or turnout...

SarahF

Visit site
MulberryMill your experience sound close to mine (I'm in the Gambia - also West Africa.)
I've sent you a friend request (?im still new to forum life so not sure if that's the right term or how it even works lol!)
I'm from the UK too - maybe I could Benefit from your experience?
I ride on the beach but not my own horse - looking to buy this year and its as daunting as it is exciting lol!!!

SarahF

Visit site
Think I've finally mastered the art of embedding images ... sorry its not good quality - its a bit distant, but illustrates what horse riding looks like where I am lol!

image_zps97722df4.jpg

cob&onion

Visit site
What a fab thread!

WE have a little place in mid france, its literally an old house and barn with an acre of land and a bit of woodland. We have toyed with the idea of moving to the south of France in a few years and selling our properties land and business and setting up a riding holiday place - near enough to the mountains so my OH can teach skiing in the winter and do the horses in the summer. At the moment we have alot on here though first which starts with building 2 houses this year and the wood needs another 2 years of good accounts before the business can be sold on.
Not sure if we would ever do it but the thought is there

Joandripple

Visit site
What a fantastic post, loving all the piccys. We are in the process of immigrating from UK to Texas, so this has prompted me to take more photos of me and my boy in the UK so I can show my new friends in the states and also so that I can remember all the wonderful views here in the UK!

Crackajack

Visit site
Hi Guys -

Love this thread so thought I would join in!
I left the UK and went to Malta :) At first there was only a rescue horse charity I could find online but now I've been here 3 years and know pretty much all of the riding people!
Most people tend to have Swedish or French trotters and race them on a sulky....
This is my first horse KingSizeSpender before he retired racing on the track here:
157073_1599242898651_5769655_n.jpg

We dont have many places to hack out but when we do the views are amazing yet scary!
TrekkingView_zps735ae932.jpg

There are only a small percentage of people who actually ride and compete their horses here so you get to know everyone...some are nice, some you hate - same as bk home!
Our best arena is next to the airport!
601385_10151323962676905_2049774639_n.jpg

I eventually gave my ex-trotter back to his old owner trained to ride and he is now used for children :)
Trekking_zpsfc60f64f.jpg

I moved onto looking after my friends white spanish horse Malespina!
At this point I had gone from being able to rent just the standard stable and paddock to finding a field!! :D Most horses are lucky if they have a paddock...the worst are kept in garages!! :( I also managed to find two other people willing to join!
1504123_10151799586216905_1686720303_n.jpg

Unfortunately now she has been sold and I'm giving it a break as its hard going here...limited places to school which are hard on the horses and lack of time due to the winter months...then again summer is no nicer in 40 degree heat :cool:
How we cool off in summer though - swim together :)
205418_10150917838506905_110590016_n.jpg

All in all its a difficult place to keep horses but we make the best of what we have and things are improving! :)

SarahF

Visit site
I just posted this on the "As seen through horses ears" Facebook page (if you haven't already you should Definately check it out!)

Thought it would fit in here too - Gambian fishermen heading down to the sea - through the ears of my friends horse Bobo :)

image_zpsa4fe7725.jpg

MagicMelon

Visit site
Finding this all very interesting! I'm dull, live in Scotland but I do try to ride whenever I go abroad but to be honest I'd much rather have a poke about their stables to see how they do things and what they use etc.! Just been for a hack in Dubai last week, all I wanted to do was nosey about their stables at the polo club but nope, 3 men brought me my steed and I wasn't even allowed to amend my own stirrups... I guess they're used to Sheikhs wives coming and not expecting to "do" anything but I couldn't stand it! I did have a quick nosey through the yard afterwards after "accidentally" getting lost and I had so many questions but nobody spoke English :( Can't say I'd like to own a horse there though looking at it - the hacking is dusty desert surrounded by big 6 lane roads. Watched a small car accident whilst I was cantering through the desert which was slightly odd!

So far riding in South Africa was probably the best as I got to see some amazing animals in the safari park. Have also ridden several times in Florida (HATED hacking there though as I remember ducking under some MASSIVE spider webs through the woods, yuck) and also in Greece (just remember the tracks being very stony!). I didn't seek out riding in Turkey last year because the amount of creepy crawlies I came across freaked me out completely - would certainly hate to handle hay and stuff there... imagine what's in it! AGH!

Last edited:

j1ffy

Visit site
I just posted this on the "As seen through horses ears" Facebook page (if you haven't already you should Definately check it out!)

Thought it would fit in here too - Gambian fishermen heading down to the sea - through the ears of my friends horse Bobo :)

image_zpsa4fe7725.jpg

Fantastic! I went on holiday to The Gambia many moons ago and had a ride on the beach, beautiful spot. I also though I was going to die when I went fishing and the boat flipped over…put me off fishing for life!!

SarahF

Visit site
Yeh it's lovely - below pic is the route from the beach back to the stable - via acres of allotments. I love it.
Boats - not so much. I absolutely love the sea -but I can't swim so prefer to stay in on the sand lol!

image_zps89eed793.jpg