So what happens to hounds who riot?

Mule

Visit site
I know of a hunt that keeps its hounds with lambs and goats. Mabey it's to prevent something like this happening.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I cant understand why they would lay a trail which had Alpacas in? surely that is asking for trouble.

The hounds that killed the alpaca had left the trail. Clodaghs post is satire, hounds that cross railway lines and go through housing estates are also following fox, not a laid trail.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I hunted for many years with two of the most professional and skilled huntsmen in the country, and this sort of thing never ever happened with their hounds. Then I moved here and found myself hunting with the Keystone Cops version of huntsmen, which is when I stopped.

This sort of thing is inexcusable and totally avoidable.

And I agree with Clodagh ....

Clodagh

Visit site
The hounds that killed the alpaca had left the trail. Clodaghs post is satire, hounds that cross railway lines and go through housing estates are also following fox, not a laid trail.

I wasn't intending it to be rude to Dobiegirl BTW.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I know you were not being rude Clodagh. Another mickey mouse hunt is the Mendip Farmers, they are forever coming on other peoples land without permission and certainly not laying trails, they are hunting foxes no doubt about it and the police are not interested. They drive quad bikes everywhere some of which are allegedly not taxed, they have terriers crammed into tiny tin boxes on the back of these and they block badger setts, this hunt is supported by Jacob Rees Mogg in fact they had a meet at his house a few weeks ago and he said at the time he was happy to support a hunt which sets trails. All the locals know they are hunting foxes, the trail setting is just a smokescreen and just a reminder hunting foxes with a pack of hounds is illegal.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
How sad for all parties. Mind, I don't trust anything sabs post on Facebook.

They regularly complain hounds are on main roads, getting hit, one even died not so long ago but when you get the full story the sabs called the hounds from the other side of the road causing the issue in the first place. Even if you are against hunt, fair enough. But being a sab, going out in balaclavas, driving across private land and terrifying young children, grabbing horses, isn't normal.
It makes me wonder if the sabs were involved in some respect.

Didn't realise the mendip farmers were like that Dobiegirl! I have followed the Beaufort a few times and they seemed very professional and respectful with land, as well as hounds being exceedingly well behaved.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Didn't realise the mendip farmers were like that Dobiegirl! I have followed the Beaufort a few times and they seemed very professional and respectful with land, as well as hounds being exceedingly well behaved.

The Beaufort used to come and visit with us once or twice a season, and their bloodlust was quite shocking :(

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm pro hunting, well I actually, I'm pro hunting done properly, not this sort of fiasco. The sabs are below contempt but the hunts are handing all this to them on a plate.

I dont understand why people want to go anymore. It must be an awful day out if the whole time is spent fighting with sabs.

ihatework

Visit site
The Beaufort used to come and visit with us once or twice a season, and their bloodlust was quite shocking :(

Yes I could tell a couple of hair raising stories about their respect for land and other people.

That said, haven’t heard anything about seriously awol hounds, the odd straggler lost but otherwise pretty well trained.

Nasicus

Visit site
Just a shower thought here, not worth making a thread for it.
But I was wondering, are hounds still taught to follow a foxes scent for the trails? I would have thought that they could be trained for follow a far more different, exotic scent, to avoid these 'oopsie whoopsie they picked up on a foxes scent' incidents. Of course, that does assume that packs are following the law, but surely training the hounds on some stinky, unusual scent (something like moose urine that hunters use in the US?) could help prevent 'crossed wires' and the hounds getting diverted by a scent left by a passing fox.

Of course, I don't have much understanding or interest in hunting, but was curious to know if similar is already implemented by some packs?