so whats the most interesting saddle you have seen......................

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
That is hideous :eek:. What is it, a wintec?

Why would you just choose one pattern to put all over it without something else to break it up a little?

Chippers1

Visit site
I knew it was going to be that tartan saddle before I even clicked on the title! I saw it for sale yesterday, it's gross!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
That's beautiful Cortez, I love it. Does that sort of thing had a wooden structure, or is it all leather underneath?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
View attachment 28024 I'm quite fond of this one....

It's one of Louis XIV's saddles, from the late 17th century, so 300+ years old. It has a wooden tree, serge panels and very comfortable, for both the horse & the rider (this type is my everyday saddle - not quite so much bling on mine though :) )

P.S. My saddles are modern versions and have fully adjustable trees. Sela Lusitana 1.JPG

Pippity

Visit site
It's one of Louis XIV's saddles, from the late 17th century, so 300+ years old. It has a wooden tree, serge panels and very comfortable, for both the horse & the rider (this type is my everyday saddle - not quite so much bling on mine though :) )

P.S. My saddles are modern versions and have fully adjustable trees.

Ooh, I rode a friend's PRE stallion in one of those, and it was possibly the most effective saddle I've ever ridden in. It wasn't especially comfortable, but that was probably because it really made me sit and ride properly.

Do you think I could get one to fit a heavyweight cob? :D

LegOn

Visit site
I think its probably the Bua Saddle - saw it at the launch at the Dublin RDS Horse Show a few years ago but hadnt seen anyone with one until last week! A horse physio no less - she has noticed a massive difference in her & the horse since she started using it. I know not hugely crazy but interesting in terms of what a modern saddle might be in the future - lots of things have moved forward with technology so you have to wonder what is in the future for saddles!

http://www.buasaddles.com/

bua-saddle3.jpg

SEL

Visit site

P.S. My saddles are modern versions and have fully adjustable trees. View attachment 28027
So who makes these? That 300 year old one looks more comfy than many modern saddles I've sat in!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
So who makes these? That 300 year old one looks more comfy than many modern saddles I've sat in!

Oh, they are :) They are still the traditional saddle of Portugal and there are many makers, both there and in Spain. The version I use (which is fully adjustable) is made by Dueber & Partner in Germany.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I think its probably the Bua Saddle - saw it at the launch at the Dublin RDS Horse Show a few years ago but hadnt seen anyone with one until last week! A horse physio no less - she has noticed a massive difference in her & the horse since she started using it. I know not hugely crazy but interesting in terms of what a modern saddle might be in the future - lots of things have moved forward with technology so you have to wonder what is in the future for saddles!

http://www.buasaddles.com/

View attachment 28030

Oh dear, I rather like that... and it looks comfy.
Reminds me of mushy peas.

texenstar

Visit site
On an endurance yard I used to work on, one of the horses was ridden in what I was always told was a South African stock saddle. However, I have never been able to find a picture of one that looks the same. This is the closest I could find and it is described as an 'Indian War Saddle'.

Regardless, it was super comfy and brilliant on long endurance rides. The panel that sits between the seat and the horse was free moving so they would move with the horses back. I keep trying to find one like the one I rode in so I can have one for hacking my horses in! It's interesting seeing what other styles of saddles exist across the world. I'm hoping to save up one day to buy a proper traditional Portuguese saddle for my Luso mare.

000_5544.jpg