So where are all the good competition yard grooms hiding then?!

Ali16

Visit site
''No, not initially, but there could be for the right person if they prove that they are hard working. Hacking and general exercise'.
' that rings alarm bells to me. In the equestrian worls that normally means no, and there never will be!

Erm, that's a massive assumption, isn't it? We STICK to our word, thanks.

What we didn't want was someone coming in and JUST thinking about the riding, actually.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies - we have actually confirmed with someone this morning that they will be starting on Monday :D

Comes highly recommended from a fellow eventer and we already know they can handle stallions & fit horses.

PHEW :D:D:D

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Eh?! So you wouldn't handle fit competition horses and muck out in a quick and precise manner? From what OP says she is advertising it sounds like a regular competition yard to me :confused:

When I was at my last competition yard we started at 7.30 and usually had the yard done by 10 - not that early?

OP shame you're up that way as I'm at a loose end and wouldn't mind being back in the yard world again!

The last comp yard I worked on, we started at 7am in the summer and 7.30 in the winter... it was a 70 odd horse yard that lived in at night all year, andin the summer between 3/4 of us we could have them all turned out (ok there was maybe some leading of 3 horses at a time sometimes....), mucked out, some on/ off the walker, haylage and water drinkers done for them coming back in at 3/4, by 9/ 9.30, so we could all go ride, and then if it was a nice day all go to the pub for a team lunch and a few drinks, and back to the yard for 3ish to bring in and put to bed which took about 1.5 hours max cause everything was done!

obviously that wasn't every day as there was maintenence, but it could be done.

OP glad you have found soemone :D

feldon

Visit site
agree totally with comment about generation learning to ride on donkeys etc then expecting to walk straight in to job as Carl hesters second rider without ever having to get up early or pick up po0!!

misterjinglejay

Visit site
Sounds ideal for me! P/T is great and I am definitely a 'get up early, get working' groom! I've been YM on a 80 horse yard, and am more than happy to get stuck in mucking out to a tight time schedule.

If you would be willing to move your yard down to Kent, I'd be an excellent employee :D

Pancakes

Visit site
Just a view from a different persepective :)

I am comp groom recently looking for a F/T position (tried the whole multiple P/T thing - not really financially viable). I have worked with horses for many years and except that long hours, low pay is part of the job -its a lifestyle and one that i love! :)

HOWEVER i did find myself thinking the other day where have all the good grooms jobs gone, the packages being offered by some employers at the moment are just crazy! i know you have to be slightly insane to work with horses but us gd'uns are not stupid and need a realistic wage to survive aswell.

I think some employers in the equine industry need a wake up call, treat the good grooms with a little respect after all i cannot see many employers getting up at 5am to muck out and plait before leaving for comps :rolleyes: :D

Disclaimer: this is only my opinion and personal experience with employment - like everything there is good and bad :)

TarrSteps

Visit site
I do think yard owners are between a rock and a hard place though. If they want to pay more they have to up their charges but if they up their prices to cover it then customers scream. There still seems to be a feeling that affordable livery is a 'right' . . .perhaps that's the attitude that has to change? ;)

But then if you have fewer people owning horses you need less staff. . . .

Ali16

Visit site
Just a view from a different persepective :)

I am comp groom recently looking for a F/T position (tried the whole multiple P/T thing - not really financially viable). I have worked with horses for many years and except that long hours, low pay is part of the job -its a lifestyle and one that i love! :)

HOWEVER i did find myself thinking the other day where have all the good grooms jobs gone, the packages being offered by some employers at the moment are just crazy! i know you have to be slightly insane to work with horses but us gd'uns are not stupid and need a realistic wage to survive aswell.

I think some employers in the equine industry need a wake up call, treat the good grooms with a little respect after all i cannot see many employers getting up at 5am to muck out and plait before leaving for comps :rolleyes: :D

Disclaimer: this is only my opinion and personal experience with employment - like everything there is good and bad :)

I can totally see your point and I have been there, done that, got the t-shirt on yards where the boss doesn't rock up until gone 9am to start riding.

The reality on our yard is that now we are full to bursting with training liveries, it is simply not realistic for Edward (dressage rider) to muck out in the morning any more and then ride (which he has done for the last 10 years) as he normally has 10+ horses to ride.

So, we never were, and never will be one of 'those' employers who refuses to get their hands dirty and turns up on the yard later than everyone else.

I think it is disgusting that people expect their grooms to work longer hours that them. If anything is should be the other way around, which is most certainly is on our yard.

We need the yard doing early as we just cannot have our liveries turning up to watch their horses go and still have wheelbarrows etc on the yard. Does not look professional IMHO :rolleyes:

lme

Visit site
We need the yard doing early as we just cannot have our liveries turning up to watch their horses go and still have wheelbarrows etc on the yard. Does not look professional IMHO :rolleyes:

Speaking as a livery, I find that quite strange. If my horse's training was going well & he / she was happy / well looked after, I really wouldn't care about things like wheelbarrows on the yard when the horses were being mucked out.

I'm not at all suggesting that your yard is like this (from your posts here, I'm sure it isn't), but in the past I've chosen not to move to somewhere where the need to keep up appearances seemed to be given too much priority.

Ali16

Visit site
Speaking as a livery, I find that quite strange. If my horse's training was going well & he / she was happy / well looked after, I really wouldn't care about things like wheelbarrows on the yard when the horses were being mucked out.

I'm not at all suggesting that your yard is like this (from your posts here, I'm sure it isn't), but in the past I've chosen not to move to somewhere where the need to keep up appearances seemed to be given too much priority.

I know what you mean, but the type of clients we have coming to our yard are not run-of-the-mill training livery clients.

We had an entire royal family (won't say which country, but they've just funded a very tall building in London...) last week and have a very well known footballer coming this weekend.... Need the place to look smart & tidy when they're there.

It's also a H&S matter too when you have a high footfall through the yard.

jessjc

Chaddleworth, Berkshire (Wantage/Newbury)
Visit site
Hi Ali,

Wish I could do something to help you! You run such a professional operation, and wonderful to see that you're doing everything by the books - wish everyone would!

Sadly, there is such a bad reputation on both sides (employee/employer) when it comes to working with horses, and unfortunately it all far too often substantiated by bad/disreputable behaviour (again on both sides!).

For any potential, hard-working grooms (and I know they exist as I was one for several seasons!!) in the area, Ali and Edward run a fantastic yard, with top quality horses and facilities, excellent training (really excellent - I have lessons with Edward every couple of weeks, and they are fantastic!). They both are super-energetic, keep their horses wonderfully and are amazingly knowledgeable.

Ali, have you tried asking Grace from Heros (just down the A338 from you)? She might know of someone local. I shall ask around and let you know if I come up with anything - it's a hard task, but there must be someone perfect for you, just waiting for the opportunity!

BTW, I think you were perfectly right in saying that there would be opportunities to ride in the future for them. There are not many horse owners who would let any old person ride their horses! It seems crazy - when I was younger, I was desperate to work on a yard in the summer, would work any old hours I was given, with no complaints, for whatever pay and ended up working with some top professionals and learning invaluable skills.

Good luck with your search (and have a lovely holiday!)!!

Jxxx

luckyoldme

Visit site
Hmmm I am a bit disilluisoned about working with horses really- £2.50 an hour with no holidays and 12 hours days is not on (where I last worked), and it seems to me anyone with any common sense probably thinks that A LOT of employers are taking the pee! Your job sounds good, put personally I think it would be easier to find a full time groom.

WHAT? £2.50 an hour?
Absolutely disgusting.. whoever dares to pay anyone this amount should hang their heads in shame.. i hope you told them where to shove their yard brush!

luckyoldme

Visit site
Haha I'm having the opposite problem! Trying to find a yard to work on with professional like minded people who don't expect you to do a 15 hour day for 20 pound. Good luck with your search, there must be someone out there

Another one!!!!! £20 per day?
Is there anyone on here who dares to admit that they expect someone to work for £20 a day?
Tight fisted tossers.

louisemum

Visit site
When I joined the family business (Doesn't matter what it was) My Father in Law told me something which I have never forgotten, regarding the work ethic.
He said " Never ask a person to do a job that you are not prepared to do yourself. And if you can't, (for whatever reason ) offer to make a cup of tea for the person who can." In other words....Broadly, show support and appriciation in whatever way you can.
And a decent days pay is a good place to start !

fiveleafclover

New User
Visit site
Sadly I've been one of those expected to work for ridiculous money. I did it as a favour, and it would have been awkward for me to refuse/walk out because it's a small village and was for a friend of a friend, but I would never go back. I've got no problem with working hard but being left in sole charge of 16 horses on my first day, and only being paid the same as the girl who worked the mornings (i.e. we both got paid £30 a day and she was doing 5 hours, and me 11!) was taking the P!!

Mainly, though, I work for someone who spoils me totally so I love the work and would do it for no money if she needed me! Wish she was a bit busier because there isn't really enough for me to do on a regular basis.

It's good to know there are good bosses out there though!! :)

Last edited: