So -who advocates pain and / or beating to get a horse how you want him or her????

darkhorse123

Visit site
Just asking - as a novice????
It seems electric shocks, etc are all ok by some - if you dont do this you are percieved as a bunny hugger?????
Im so confused

Serenity087

Now would I be a Kentish lass, or a lass of Kent?
Visit site
If a bunny hugger is someone who uses a slack plastic tape to keep a laminitic pony from lush grass and wonders why their pony becomes crippled, then I wouldn't want to be one anyway.

I use electricity to keep my horse out of a ditch and off a busy road as well as away from a very aggressive pony who kicks field companions. Strike me down for my sins!

horseless jorge!

Visit site
I don't think anyone would admit to beating a horse. Not on here. Unless they were mad. xD

I would never, ever rap a horse, scare a horse or electrify a horse into jumping. It doesn't make sense. But, I have been known to give the odd tap on the shoulder if there's been a refusal. xD

cptrayes

Visit site
Just asking - as a novice????
It seems electric shocks, etc are all ok by some - if you dont do this you are percieved as a bunny hugger?????
Im so confused

If you are a novice owner and confused, get some good lessons from a good trainer, don't ask on here. You will get some good advice if you do ask here, but among all the posts, you won't know what IS good advice and what is not. There is an awful lot of rubbish posted by people who've owned one quiet cob in their whole lives. Find a reputable trainer you can trust and ask them.

Cassiethecob

Visit site
If a bunny hugger is someone who uses a slack plastic tape to keep a laminitic pony from lush grass and wonders why their pony becomes crippled, then I wouldn't want to be one anyway.

I use electricity to keep my horse out of a ditch and off a busy road as well as away from a very aggressive pony who kicks field companions. Strike me down for my sins!
Sorry I wasn't thinking lekkie fencing I was was thinking lekkie prod or lekkie spurs. Lekkie fencing the horse has a choice..................:eek:

Visit site
I think it serves my little colt right when he gets his nose zapped by the electric fence as, the moment he knows it is switched off he grabs it in his teeth and runs away with it across the field just for the fun of it! He is a toad for it!

As for smacking them it depends on the circumstance. I work with a big bolshy horse who tries to walk out his stable whilst you tack him up and he won't listen to you just pushing him back in so he gets a hand smack on the front of the should to get him to pay attention and then moved back in. When riding I am not adverse to giving a wake up tap when my ponies drop their heads into my hands and lose all impulsion because they are being lazy.

As for actually beating them up, no, never have, never will. I also really dislike people that chase horses round and round for hours and call it join up. If your horse doesn't like you and won't be caught then chasing it ain't gonna make it like you any more than it did before!

blueneonrainbow

Visit site
Different people have different methods. Unless you fully understand someones reasons for using that method, whether you agree with it or not, can you condemn them?

Flame_

Visit site
I do, sometimes. Flame's had her backside pasted on numerous occasions for saying she doesn't feel like getting it in the horsebox just yet. :rolleyes:

Serenity087

Visit site
Sorry I wasn't thinking lekkie fencing I was was thinking lekkie prod or lekkie spurs. Lekkie fencing the horse has a choice..................:eek:

Not being funny, but the correct use of a cattle prod also gives a choice.

Stand and get a shock, run forward and don't get a shock.

If an animal moves off the prod and gets another shock then you're overdoing it.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Interesting question! Certainly one that is not easy to answer.

My horse regularly get electric shocks if they touch the fence. That is not considered cruelty. However to use an electric shock as was used on the video I would find hard to call cruelty but would call it total idiocy and unnecessary. The girls had not an iota of a clue as to how to load a difficult horse safely for all concerned. The only thing they were doing correctly was that one of them was wearing a hard hat.

Beating any animal never gets anyone anywhere but a good crack or two delivered at exactly the right moment I do not deem as cruel. Others do believing that a horse should never be hit.

I fully admit to being very strict when it comes to manners with my horses, dogs and any children there are around. I will correct with a word or action for ill manners and how hard the action depends on the transgression.

The fact that I disapprove of the girls action does not make me a bunny hugger.

Girlracer

Visit site
Everybody on HHO except you TBH.

;););)

And me, and i'm sure most 'normal' horse owners.

I can't understand why any horse or indeed animal lover would want to inflict unnecessary pain to a horse, i couldn't care less if some forum posters want to class me as a 'fluffy bunny' i'm not i'm patient and understanding i think and because i don't beat my horses on a regular basis they don't need much more than a raise of the voice to realise they best shut up and behave.

Major loaded 100% when i got him, then once he caught his back end on the partition of the lorry whilst loading seemed like nothing at the time but since then he's become a problem loader. A horse doesn't just decide it's not going to do something, sure they can take the mick a bit but it's rarely the case in reality. Violence is not the answer, asserting your authority of course they are big animals and need to know whos boss but not bullying a helpless animal into doing something.

Funnily enough i seem to have a couple of the best behaved horses on the yard so can't be doing anything too wrong...

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Very childish view IMO. Leccy is all well and good in use and theory. I have a horse whol will walk through fencing if its not Leccy and bleeing strong or babred wire. Wood, smooth wire, sheep fencing you name it shes broken it.

I think that just because people didnt share your views on the cattle prod thread doesnt mean the dummy need to be spat out and people branded as cruel if they dont agree with you.

We arent all horse abusers because we arent softly softly all the time :) I have seen some of the apparently approved methods of nice horsemanship shall i call it and I would take the prod anyday..... ;)

horseandshoes77

Visit site
well havnt read all this thread but to answer your question....i never feel the need to beat my horses up....but i have 3 very different horses...horse 1 if i beat him he wud beat me lol...but i need to be firm with him all the time, horse 2 shed kill me probs if i was agressive.....but i dnt need to she unrstands what im asking without bullying....and horse 3...my younster. i have never had to even raise my voice....so no i dnt think you need to be aggressive to get results infact i have seen many too heavy handed turn nice placid horses into totally dangerous animals or nervous wrecks !

horseandshoes77

Visit site
I think it serves my little colt right when he gets his nose zapped by the electric fence as, the moment he knows it is switched off he grabs it in his teeth and runs away with it across the field just for the fun of it! He is a toad for it!

As for smacking them it depends on the circumstance. I work with a big bolshy horse who tries to walk out his stable whilst you tack him up and he won't listen to you just pushing him back in so he gets a hand smack on the front of the should to get him to pay attention and then moved back in. When riding I am not adverse to giving a wake up tap when my ponies drop their heads into my hands and lose all impulsion because they are being lazy.

As for actually beating them up, no, never have, never will. I also really dislike people that chase horses round and round for hours and call it join up. If your horse doesn't like you and won't be caught then chasing it ain't gonna make it like you any more than it did before!

love this...exactly how i feel....when they need telling ok....but no violence and proof comes when horses are in 6 acre field and come running when they see you....i love that feeling !

Serenity087

Visit site
He doesn't he is a domestic beast, a slave in real terms. Bloody hell, equine and S & M forum all in one, go H&H;)

Horses DO have a choice.

I give Dorey a choice every time I ride, do as I ask and the pressure on the bit or off my leg is released. When I bring her in, let me catch you and you can have your dinner. If Dorey choses point blank to not do something, what can I do against an animal almost 10 times my weight?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Meeeeee!
I smack mine if they need it.
Apparently, though, I'm just 'lucky' that they're all well behaved.
I think it's a deal better to smack a horse when it needs it, than to allow it to walk all over you, brand it as a 'project horse' and sell it on as someone else's problem.
I've seen this happen so many times...and have 'cured' a few 'problem/dangerous' horses with a quick smack and a reinforcement of the rules.
In the current market, the only future for a badly behaved, bratty horse is as meat. :D
S :D

deicinmerlyn

Visit site
HA HA HA HA

no, that would be those gobbing off and receiving replies they cant handle so shout "i'm being bullied"

this place is getting like a nanny state kindtergarden every day..if little girls cant take, they shouldnt throw at adults..simples

I suggest you go back to the Kindergarten or rather the bridge you crawled out from under.