So who has had a fear of jumping?

Obilicious

Visit site
Stories please and how you've come over it :p
How do you get from rock bottom to flying around x country?

I haven't done a lot of jumping but the thought terrifies me as I just get left behind and end up flung into the air :eek: ( not falling of thought :D ) anyone got any tips for this ?

shampain

Visit site
Practice practice practice!
What's your horse like to jump? Do you tend to jump just on your own or with an instructor? If on your own, I'd definitely recommend finding yourself a good instructor, and if your horse is a little tricky to jump, perhaps getting a couple of lessons on a more schoolmaster type to help build your confidence.

However, those aside, I'll try and throw in a couple of suggestions, see if any of them hit home.
Timing used to be a massive issue for me, whether in trot or canter. If in canter, my instructor suggested counting the days of the week with each canter stride on the approach AND ride away from the jump, as you get more of a feel for the rhythm of the canter. This can also be improved by doing canter poles on various distances, and also raised once you and your horse are comfortable with them. The more aware you are of the rhythm in which your horse is moving (in any gait) and the more adjustable that rhythm is, the more you'll be able to a) tweak it, and b) go with any little surprises (such as putting in/taking out a stride).
On approaching the jump, try not to think 'OMGI'MJUMPING' (not saying that you do, just remember that I used to feel very similar when jumping), and instead focus on your riding over the fence. Have an 'awareness scale', where 1 is not aware and 5 is aware, and try to be completely at 5 each time you go over a fence, so you're not just throwing everything at the horse and effectively saying 'here, jump for me!' (again, not saying you do this, so please don't take offence! It's just quite common for everything to go out the door a bit on the approach/ride away from a jump).
You need impulsion, rather than speed. Transitions between and within paces will help the horse to use their hind end more effectively and power forward rather than run onto the forehand. You also need to maintain a forward feeling but consistent contact (have someone hold their hands up to yours whilst halted on your horse & in the position as you would be if holding the reins, and push into their hands. This should engage muscles in your back and core, try to maintain this whilst riding).

Hope that somewhere in that wall of text, something may resemble useful advice :p

ThereSheIs

Visit site
I can't give you some huge success story about how I used to be nervous of jumping but now compete BE or BSJA or somthing like that but... I have always been quite nervous of jumping but have also had times where I've enjoyed it and these are some of the things that have helped me...

Have an instructor that understands you, for some it might be someone who says "just get on with it!" and this works for them. For me this approach wouldn't go down well! The best instructor I have had has respected how I feel about it, and never pressured me - a light push sometimes otherwise I wouldn't make any progress at all, but never pressure. I'm not trying to become a professional showjumper, I just want to have fun!

Which is my next point, I always keep in mind that I ride for fun, and to me being terrified is not fun! So if I'm having fun jumping tiddly little jumps then that's fine by me!

Also, I'll be happy jumping tiddly little jumps but at some point its inevitable that I'll get bored with that, so will maybe want to do a course of tiddly little jumps, or a slightly trickier combination. The repetition of good experience, in regular riding lessons tends to gradually make me a bit braver each time I go!

And of course (because I don't have my own horse), finding the sort of horse that you could probably blindfold and it will still jump for you, forgiving all sins of bouncing or being left behind - this makes a big difference. I moved on to another horse, who was still pretty honest but I had become brave enough to try on him. He was a fantastic teacher to me because if you didn't set him up nicely or were out of balance he'd (very politely I would add) say "no that's not right". If you got it right he would jump every time. :)

I've been very out of practice for the past year and am a bit back to square one, but these are the things I will be thinking of to get myself back to where I want to be and hopefully beyond!

catwithclaws

Visit site
ME! I've been terrified of jumping for about 8 years now, after a very nasty accident (which I won't go into as wouldn't want to put you off!)

To be honest I haven't really gotten over it, but I am slowly improving. I had my mare for 6 years, up until a couple of months ago (she wasn't the horse I had the accident on, mind) and on paper she should have been exactly what I needed to get my confidence back.

She was a total schoolmistress, had won up to Foxhunter level in her younger days, and I bought her back into work after having the previous 6 years out in a field. She was forward going, safe, bold and never stopped, wasn't bothered by fillers or water trays, and went off any stride.

BUT SHE STILL SCARED ME!! She had a big stride and no matter how much I collected her canter (poor mare, she practically had to canter on the spot!) I was still afraid of how 'fast' she approached. She never was going fast, it was all in my head, but I was fast losing confidence when jumping her.

A couple of months ago I put her out on full loan (partly so she could enjoy herself more with a more confident rider, and partly so I could spend more time with my 17 month daughter) and began riding a pony belonging to one of the clients at work. He's just about 14.1, a chunky little cob, but steady and kind as hell!!

He is responsive to the leg, but far more of a 'ride-forward' type over fences, and I'm beginning to calm down a bit. We managed our first 2'3 class last night and came 3rd, so things are looking up!

**please note - at the competition the pony did all the work with absolutely no help from me whatsoever, I pretty much froze and sat there, was knackered by halfway round and just let him flop over, and nearly fell off between fence 12a and 12b!! The only reason we came 3rd at all was because the poor pony was amazingly careful, and only 3 people went double clear, hence the 3rd place... Just putting that out there :eek:**

The point I'm trying to make is, sometimes the right horse who will take care of you can really help!

Last edited:

Tern

Visit site
Lost confidence with ***** unqualified teacher (Stage 2) I overcame it with my schoolmaster helping us over 1ft 6 then slowly getting higher, i also prefer a horse that pulls to a jump than something you have to kick - something i have unfortunately taught my horse to do (Rush to the jump) Though i like to be in control most of the time, have recently done 3ft so atm happy :)

tankgirl1

Visit site
I have never really jumped, always been terrified of it as the few times I tried as a teenager I fell off EVERY time!

However I'm having great fun with Boyo at the moment. I put my brave pants on and did some polework in between wings with him. In trot and canter he popped over them - I really enjoyed it.

To my amazement I even enjoyed it the other day when he cat leapt over a 6 inch cross pole from halt ( I'd asked him to walk over it, he stopped, and when I asked him to walk on he leapt about 2 foot into the air - literally, YO was watching lol) He's so funny and honest and he is being a great teacher :D

Can't wait to get some lessons and try jumping properly :D :D

chesnut90

Visit site
My problem is keeping my head up and looking forward...but I find what helps me is to pick something in the distance that I have to look at every time I go to jump so it keeps my head up and flows more smoothly over jump, for example at my yard there is a few houses up a hill that I always look at and works every time.

Just something that's helped me to have more confidence and to gain more balance.

hnmisty

Visit site
Practice practice practice!

THIS!

I lost my confidence jumping, got it back jumping an absolute nutter (I get very odd looks saying that, but I knew no matter how fast he went into a jump, he'd always get himself over it). Then I went to uni...and had more time off riding than on. Now I get nerves again, but I think it is just lack of practice now.

My tips, for what they're worth... it's never "I only jumped 50 cm"- hell, if that took all you have, then that's bloody brave! Which takes more guts- jumping 1m with fab confidence, or getting yourself over 50 cm when you're *****ting it? Don't let anyone put you down by belittling the height you're jumping.

Following on from that one (kind of), don't let anyone pressure you into doing something you're not happy with. If you only want to jump 30 cm that day, then just jump 30 cm. Don't let yourself be pushed out of your comfort zone (unless you actually WANT to be).

Cobbyhoofs- I've always had that a bit. I reckon it's because you can't go "oh, could you just put that down a hole please", you just have to go for it. (Although I can't agree with the higher the better :p)

russianhorse

Visit site
Me *waves*

Since having kiddies, I'm petrified that horse will stop at jump and I'll go flying over his head and break my neck :/

No success story - yet, but have now got an instructor so onwards and upwards :D

Moomin1

Visit site
Me!

I have done SJ before at local level pretty regularly a long time ago, but I have always had an underlying fear of it.

I certainly have now I am older - and my horse is a lot bigger than the 13.3hh pony I used to have so find it a lot more daunting going over bigger jumps.

I don't dislike jumping at all - I love it - but can't get past that fear.

But I know I could if I really really wanted to, as I did back when I had my pony years ago as a kid/teenager. I was the same with him for a few years, then got lessons, and got more confident.

morrismob

Visit site
I have never really enjoyed or been good at jumping anything above 2ft3 lol.
My eldest daughter was jumping over 1.10 sj and 3ft 6 xc, completely lost her nerve thru a s**t of a horse and wouldn't jump a cross pole. She then jumped my guy who is very smooth and honest. Took him hunting and built up her trust then we found a lovely schoolmistress who got her back eventing at 90's. Daughter has just done her first novice BE for 4 years on her newish horse and went double clear. We both cried. It took a while but the right horse is paramount and so is not pushing yourself but learning to enjoy. But, me, still got 4 feet firmly on the floor ;)

ew0855

Visit site
Nice I'm not the only one :)

Bought pony 6 months ago saying to seller it didn't matter if he wouldn't walk across a pole on the ground as I don't jump. Somewhere along the line I've started to trust him and this week managed to do some tiny jumps with him. Stupidly pleased with him for jumping at a height kids on lead rein manage - just keep telling myself we do it for fun so it doesn't matter how slowly we take it.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Me!
Not good when I used to work on a hunting yard. If I ever went hunting I'd be hysterical by the time we got there and wailing that we were all going to die etc My boss would be waiting for me with a plastic cup of whiskey to pour down my throat, then get me on the horse (I know I was the groom technically i should have been helping her, but i got so nervous i was incapable of doing anything myself except shaking, feeling sick and announcing I was going to die) Luckily I used to take out the most amazing horse who knew exactly what he was doing and loved jumping and would safely take me over anything even if i didn't want to go.
After the first half hour or so though i would forget any nerves and fly over what ever was infront of us while grinning like an idiot.

Still given the choice now I wouldn't jump unless i had a sudden attack of bravery, I like the idea of jumping but when the jump is there infront of me I start feeling rather ill.

Last edited:

Moomin1

Visit site
Me!
Not good when I used to work on a hunting yard. If I ever went hunting I'd be hysterical by the time we got there and wailing that we were all going to die etc My boss would be waiting for me with a plastic cup of whiskey to pour down my throat, then get me on the horse (I know I was the groom technically i should have been helping her, but i got so nervous i was incapable of doing anything myself except shaking, feeling sick and announcing I was going to die) Luckily I used to take out the most amazing horse who knew exactly what he was doing and loved jumping and would safely take me over anything even if i didn't want to go.
After the first half hour or so though i would forget any nerves and fly over what ever was infront of us while grinning like an idiot.

Still given the choice now I wouldn't jump unless i had a sudden attack of bravery, I like the idea of jumping but when the jump is there infront of me I start feeling rather ill.

This is quite possibly the most unintended funny post I have ever read!! :D

You sound just like me over jumps!

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
This is quite possibly the most unintended funny post I have ever read!! :D

You sound just like me over jumps!

My boss also found it funny (luckily, because I imagine it would have tested the patience of a saint putting up with my hysterics) and would be sniggering while i stood on the ramp of the lorry waiting for her to park the horse in front of me so i could dither about trying to get on while coming up with every excuse why I shouldn't get on... she did try giving me a leg up but I wouldn't jump, she'd get to 3 and I'd just carry on hopping like a muppet, or I'd just let go of the saddle on 3 and declare it was useless I was never going to get up there.... the fact that I got on him everyday at home without a problem never occurred to me.
He was a 17.3 heavyweight hunter and i was 5'3 and 7 and a half stone. Fairly sure we looked like an overgrown thelwell act but he was the only one I'd take out.

Moomin1

Visit site
My boss also found it funny (luckily, because I imagine it would have tested the patience of a saint putting up with my hysterics) and would be sniggering while i stood on the ramp of the lorry waiting for her to park the horse in front of me so i could dither about trying to get on while coming up with every excuse why I shouldn't get on... she did try giving me a leg up but I wouldn't jump, she'd get to 3 and I'd just carry on hopping like a muppet, or I'd just let go of the saddle on 3 and declare it was useless I was never going to get up there.... the fact that I got on him everyday at home without a problem never occurred to me.
He was a 17.3 heavyweight hunter and i was 5'3 and 7 and a half stone. Fairly sure we looked like an overgrown thelwell act but he was the only one I'd take out.

Hahahaaha! Oh my god seriously, you and I would so get on!

:D

IndygoGirl

Visit site
Great thread :) Hope you get a lot of responses!

I used to be based in Europe and competed in show-jumping at 3* level with great success - it was my job and was generally considered to be 'on the up and up.'
But through a combination of several issues I lost my nerve, getting to a point one day where I found myself crying and shaking over the thought of cantering over a pole on the ground at home. So I packed it in and swore blind I would never get on a horse again. Moved to London where they don't have many horses and trained as a sound engineer.

4 years later I moved to slightly-greener Cheshire and decided to find a nice quiet share, which I did in a 27 year old forward going 14.2hh mare. Two days a week. We did a lot of hacking. Slowly. No jumping.

I could write an essay on the little things I did then to start getting my nerve back, but fast forward about two years after first getting on that pony when I was nervous to trot and I have been running my yard and business for about 15 months and it continues to grow. I coach riders - a lot of nervous ones - on my own schoolmasters or their horses, train horses, as well as buying and re-schooling to sell, competing horses for clients and bringing on youngsters. Most importantly, I am competing again with my 4 horses - albeit not the same level - and have very little fear when it comes to show-jumps (XC a different story!), whether it's 60cms or 1.60m. I still have things to overcome in other areas (XC!!) and I've only just recently gotten to the stage where I feel comfortable enough to find a good trainer I greatly respect and who is actually going to push me.

The most useful things I've personally found in overcoming these issues have been 1) giving yourself all the time in the world - you don't have to get over that fence today so maybe a pole is enough for now. You can always try again tomorrow. You'll find if you can take the pressure off you may even start to enjoy it, and you'll WANT to do it. So you will. And 2) if all else fails - fake it. After a while you get to a point where you don't have to fake it anymore because you believe it yourself. I don't get nervous anymore.

But it did take me about 5 years total, having to basically re-teach myself to ride and a lot of work!

TallulahBright

Visit site
A gap of twenty years and then riding my newly backed youngster= brown trousers style fear about jumping!!
Got myself a great instructor who really understands me and the baby horse. Initially it was tiny jumps, her words- "It's not jumping, Rachel, it's flat work with bumps!" and "Will you get off her ****ing neck!!"
Now we love it, horse is so talented, much more than me. We're off to a jumping party next weekend!!:D

Embo

Visit site
Me - I'm a total nervous wreck even just thinking about jumping!!

When I was 18 I loved it - would literally jump anything put in front of me and on any horse. It was a lot of fun. I fell off a few times, but nothing bad. Never put me off at the time.

The fear set in after a 3 year break from horses. When I took on a loan after the break I could easily cope with his spooks and silliness, which never frightened me at all, but put a 2ft cross pole up and I'd be shaking. A friend rode him over some jumps so I could see how good he was, but I just couldn't ever do it myself. Not really sure what happened to my confidence as I never had any terrible experience with jumping.

I got my first horse is February this year and we're taking things slowly. He has hunted & SJ in the past so knows his job and always seems keen when there are jumps set up in the school, but I'm not ready yet, much to his disappointment! I have some good friends who are really supportive and don't push me into things. We have a group lesson once a week and do polework etc but generally have a good time.

Our instructor is really understanding, so she sets up various exercises so the more confident can do some jumping whilst those of us who aren't as brave can stick to the trot poles if we want. No pressure. We all praise each other afterwards as we all understand how hard it can be and how important the little achievements are.

Doing things this way has helped my confidence no end. I'm still not ready to participate in the Friday Night Clear Round, but I'm actually finding myself wanting to try a little jump next time we have a lesson! Might be a different story when faced with it, but it doesn't seem as daunting when I think about it. And I'm having fun, which is so important.

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
Me, I used to have a horse that would take you to the jump like you were really going then literally at the last second just as you thought you were going to go she would stop and spin, resulting in 4 broken ribs twice!! She could be very unpredictable but I did seem to get past it with her by just repeating. I would go in the school with a tiny jump up, I would do some flat work and if I felt brave that day I would jump in if not then nothing lost. We eventually got it back of a fashion jumping up to a 1m but and in the end her stopping was probably very much down to me not being confident enough to push her on as no matter if she was backing off or taking me in I had become convinced she would stop.

I actually LOVE jumping, it is the most exhilarating thing and had been known as a child to go xc bareback. For me it's not the fear of jumping its the fear of stopping. I am absolutely determined to break this but need to get a bit of a grip of my new horses flat work first. He is very well behaved generally but has developed a fear of one corner of the school so don't want to try too much with him too soon. He too loves his jumping but can get a little carried away. Have jumped him twice (excluding the puddles he jumps and various twigs) first time was a piddly log in the woods, I got such a great feeling as he was so steady and so smooth. Second time we were following another and he was so intent on following her he nearly forgot to take off until the last second where he had to cat leap (didn't stop though!!!) thankfully he is so honest that once he had catapulted me up his neck he didn't actually take off he just stopped and let me regain my composure.

My problem no seems to be that I ride too much and interfere when it is absolutely not necessary as I freeze and the stopping becomes a self fullfilling prophecy. I think were going to stop so subconsciously I prepare for than and ride very negatively. I will start again very small and build it up. My new horse is much more honest than my old mare and in so many ways I genuinely believe he would never deliberately do anything to hurt me so next few weeks will see me practice practice practice

GeorgeyGal

Visit site
I've never had a jumping lesson and had some horses prone to putting dirty stops in which has left me feeling anxious as well as being left behind.

I found trotting poles with the last pole a small cross pole helped immensely! I will be having lessons on my girl when she's old enough, wish I had learnt properly sooner!

welshie1982

Visit site
I'm terrified. Iv never fallen off I just think in going to die. I usefld to cry just doing trotting poles. I have just purchased a sec C who is fab and loves jumping. So with help of 8yr old daughter and very patient oh we went to local jumping comp. I got around just. I even managed to canter towardscthe last couple of jumps. i have found a good instructor who is great and is really helpful even when I have a bad moment. I still get left behind but more I do the better I will get. I hope. Right horse and instructor helps alot plus a pushy 8yr old daughter who does workers.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Yes I lost my bottle after a hair-raising "accident"...

Agree with the PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE sentiment!

It really does make perfect.