So who is going to work tomorrow?

Patchworkpony

Visit site
You can travel to work if you can’t work from home. Does that mean any job or just essential services? If no one can work then how do they eat and pay bills?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
we are lacking clarification on 'essential work'
I don't expect that is something the government will be able to decide, it's far too nuanced really.
I'll be in but we have a rota system, we're all scientists so know how these things work and we have a lot of space per person.

Michen

Visit site
Unless you’re self employed, you’ll be paid 80% of your wages by the government
Up to a maximum of 2500 a month.
That wouldn’t even cover my rent (living alone) and my livery/basic horse bills after tax

Patchworkpony

Visit site
But how soon will people get their money? Given that most government departments are slow people aren’t going to get their wages on Friday all over the country. It would be impossible to set up that quickly I would have thought.

be positive

Visit site
But how soon will people get their money? Given that most government departments are slow people aren’t going to get their wages on Friday all over the country. It would be impossible to set up that quickly I would have thought.

I thought your company paid you, this month it will be almost normal hours, next month they pay and claim back from the government, so you are still on the books of whoever employs you and it is their job to get the claim sorted, there will probably be a back log and small businesses will struggle with cash flow so some people will definitely have problems paying bills.
Many people are already wfh, this announcement has not been totally unexpected and the behaviour over the weekend by people out totally ignoring advice was really the final straw.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’m not. I didn’t want to do this and have been arguing myself and my family. I work with horses so they need doing. It’s also outdoors so less risk. I got a email today though from the asthma association stating severe asthmatics were to self isolate which I know has been said for ages but how do you define severe?
Anyhow, this email defined it. By sending a list of drugs and dosages. If your prescribed any on the list it’s severe.
I went in today but in light of this evening and the fact that I mentioned the email to my employers I e been told to stay away.
I can’t say it’s not a huge relief. I’d love to be able to use lockdown time to volounteer to help somehow but realistically I know if I get it I’ll probably die or at best use resources that could have been avoided.

TreeDog

Visit site
I have been told to stay at home (I left my laptop in the office but have been told not to come and pick it up). About half my work team have been asked to go in, I think the site will be doing manufacture of medical equipment. But won't need all the usual staff.
My partner was told to stay home, then about an hour later his manager texted again and said to come in tomorrow after all. He thinks they will be doing some kind of analytical work as the company have some part in PPE production and have a large analytical department.

Pippity

Visit site
My work is either from home or a variety of European sites. My client banned international travel last month, so I've just been working from home, so there'll be little change for me.

HeyMich

Visit site

OH and I own our own company. We pay ourselves a salery of pennies, and live on the dividends. It is quite common for small business owners.

If we are only paid 80% of the wage, we wouldn't survive one week. I'm not sure if these situations have been thought through. Worrying!

Floofball

Visit site
I’m not. I didn’t want to do this and have been arguing myself and my family. I work with horses so they need doing. It’s also outdoors so less risk. I got a email today though from the asthma association stating severe asthmatics were to self isolate which I know has been said for ages but how do you define severe?
Anyhow, this email defined it. By sending a list of drugs and dosages. If your prescribed any on the list it’s severe.
I went in today but in light of this evening and the fact that I mentioned the email to my employers I e been told to stay away.
I can’t say it’s not a huge relief. I’d love to be able to use lockdown time to volounteer to help somehow but realistically I know if I get it I’ll probably die or at best use resources that could have been avoided.

our local health authority was advertising for workers/volunteers tonight but when I followed the links I couldn’t apply due to previous medical conditions ? I thought I’d apply anyway but there was a quite stringent health questionnaire so I didn’t follow through - probably for the best as I’ve had a few since the announcemen! ?

Pippity

Visit site
OH and I own our own company. We pay ourselves a salery of pennies, and live on the dividends. It is quite common for small business owners.

If we are only paid 80% of the wage, we wouldn't survive one week. I'm not sure if these situations have been thought through. Worrying!

I'm in the same situation. My company has enough cash reserves to keep me going for a while, but it would be heartbreaking to lose all the savings I've worked for and which were meant to finance my emigration.