Soakable conditioning feed required - help!

BubbleDog

Visit site
My thoroughbred is poorly at the moment and I am struggling to keep weight on him. His appetite is not great and I am looking for something that I can feed that I can make wet or soak that will add weight and condition, but that is palatable and easy on his digestion. I've tried simple systems and he doesn'tlike it. Has anyone got any other ideas?

Sandstone1

Visit site
Calm and condition has more calories than veteran vitality. Linseed is good. Speedibeet is good too. You could contact feed companies for advise.

JillA

Visit site
Fast fibre and micronized linseed (oils are great for calories), unmollassed beet pulp and grass pellets - am I right in thinking he needs low sugar/starch (cereals)? I know people who have done well with copra but mine didn't get on with it

TGM

Visit site
You don't need just to consider those feeds that are marketed as 'soakable', you can soak all normal pelleted foods to make a mash too, if you find one that fits the criteria for your horse. It is difficult to make suggestions though without knowing what is wrong with the horse and what regime he is on (ie box rest?).

Auslander

Visit site
Copra works for me - my lot are looking fabulous on it, despite all being old and infirm! I have to take them off it when the grass is growing, as they turn into big fat wobbly elephants!

whizzer

Visit site
Readymash,I avoid the extra as it sent one of mine over the top(he's very sensitive!) the solution mash is great though,conditioning & very palatable. One of mine is on that & the other one is on copra,he seems to eat whatever is plonked in front of him so I had no issues with palatability with it.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Soaked grass nuts are useful for many horses, getting the balance between crumbly and cowpat seems to elude me and if I serve cowpat it gets tipped over in disgust.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Copra works for me - my lot are looking fabulous on it, despite all being old and infirm! I have to take them off it when the grass is growing, as they turn into big fat wobbly elephants!

Another vote for this . . . it's wonderful stuff. Not only does it pack on the condition, but it's fabulous for skin and coat too - and it's non heating.

P

wench

Visit site
Fast fibre does not have many calories in it, so if you want to put condition on, not a great way to go about it.

Think Baileys have just introduced a new soaking feed - saw it in the tackshop earlier this week.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Soaked grass nuts are useful for many horses, getting the balance between crumbly and cowpat seems to elude me and if I serve cowpat it gets tipped over in disgust.

We use soaked grassnuts, if we need to build any-one up, dried grass chaff is very good for adjusting the consistency and the whole lot can be mixed with sugarbeet of one kind or another to add extra calories.

bex11

Visit site
My ex racer is on Rowan Barbary Solution mash and alfa beet with conditioning chaff. Huge fan of equijewel and micronised linseed.

JenHunt

Visit site
speedibeet, linseed and add linseed or soya oil for a few extra calories. Easy for them to eat when they are feeling fussy (for what ever reason)...
Fast fibre is actually very low calorie!
Ready mash extra is another good option though it is higher in starch.

BubbleDog

Visit site
Thanks for all your suggestions. He already has Calm & Cond & Copra with his feed but as he can't eat hay or haylage very well its hard keeping the weight on as he is not eating the volume of forage that he should do. So really I was looking at trying to find a soakable pulpy hay replacer type feed but will look into some of the Rowen Barbary products as they sound like the sort of thing I am after. xx

dibbin

Visit site
Try Havens Slobbermash. My sister's ISH is a poor doer, Slobbermash is the only thing that puts weight on him and keeps it there!

HBB

Visit site
Thanks for all your suggestions. He already has Calm & Cond & Copra with his feed but as he can't eat hay or haylage very well its hard keeping the weight on as he is not eating the volume of forage that he should do. So really I was looking at trying to find a soakable pulpy hay replacer type feed but will look into some of the Rowen Barbary products as they sound like the sort of thing I am after. xx

As you are already feeding Copra and Calm & Condition, I would be thinking of also adding micronised linseed and soaked grass nuts.