Soakable feed suitable for a laminitic

HBII

Visit site
Hi all

I could faff searching the internet, or be lazy and ask you knowledgeable lot!

I am after a soak-able feed which has low starch/sugar. Horse had laminitis at the beginning of June so I am ultra cautious. Ideally the feed would be good if it can be soaked quickly, but no dramas if not.

Thanks in advance

Leo Walker

Visit site
Pink mash. 0.5% sugar and 3% starch. Says it needs 10mins to soak but I find its ready in a couple of minutes. Its so good for hindguts and ulcers etc which can be an issue with lammi/restricting grazing etc sometimes. Some people dont like feeding soya but my stupidly reactive pony does very well on it. I really, really rate it as a feed.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I feed agrobs weisencobs
Sugar 7.2%
Starch 1%.

if sourcing is difficult (though I order online)

Emerald green feeds now also do meadow magic
Sugar % 8
Starch 1.5

speedibeet
Sugar (%) 5.0
Starch (%) 0.5

Follysmum

Visit site
These are the feeds I have used
Simple systems hay cobs
Allen and page fast fibre
Emerald green magic nuts
Agrobs cobs

JillA

Visit site
Equibeet or Speedibeet (non mollassed) or soya hulls aka Rowan & Barbary Ready Fibre Mash (green bag). There is a tiny bit of molasses fior palatability but not enough to make a difference. Or speak to Simple Systems?

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Allen & Page Veteran Lite - low in sugar and starch and high in fibre, ideal for good doers, and contains lots of vitamins in. It includes prebiotics and probiotics to help maintain a healthy digestive system and linseed is added as a source of Omega 3. Veteran Light is highly palatable, even to fussy feeders and is easy to chew, goes into a mash in about two minutes in hot or cold water! Its about £12 for 20kgs and lasts a very long time.

HBII

Visit site
Thank you for all of your suggestions. I will look further into the SS and the A&P Veteran ones. I am really aiming for v low S&S; so the lower the better. The pink mash sounds interesting.

Hb

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Pink Mash has been the answer to keeping weight on my 28yr old chronic laminitic. I used to feed A &P high fibre but he would tolerate in bursts of a week only then leave his feed. He loves the Pink Mash it seems so palatable and I use hot water to soak it in winter.

Mule

Visit site
Bog standard beetbulp will do the trick. You can get flaked beetbulp for quicker use. You can give it a rinse pre-soaking if you're worried about mollasses.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Thank you for all of your suggestions. I will look further into the SS and the A&P Veteran ones. I am really aiming for v low S&S; so the lower the better. The pink mash sounds interesting.

Hb

Veteran light - Starch 5.5% and sugar 3% - DE 8%
Pink Mash - 2% sugar, 2% starch - DE 9%

Scarlett

Visit site
Pink mash. 0.5% sugar and 3% starch. Says it needs 10mins to soak but I find its ready in a couple of minutes. Its so good for hindguts and ulcers etc which can be an issue with lammi/restricting grazing etc sometimes. Some people dont like feeding soya but my stupidly reactive pony does very well on it. I really, really rate it as a feed.

Second Pink Mash.

I use it on my boy who has had lami through both gut problems and now supposed EMS. It helps keep the gut healthy and I saw an improvement in hoof quality when we started feeding it even though he was already on a low sugar and starch diet.

I know some people have issues feeding soya but the mash is made with the hulls which are super high in fibre and there are studies showing that feeding soya hulls helps to stabilize the hind gut PH which is super important in horses as high PH contributes to lami.

I feed it to 4 horses and have recommended it to loads more. Superb stuff.