Soaked hay and Haybars

eekmon

Visit site
I am thinking of buying/making a haybar! My horse has soaked hay and I have a wooden stable. I was wondering if I can put soaked hay in it or would it eventually go mouldy/slimey from having damp hay in. Summer would probably be ok as would dry out but what about the winter when my horse only goes out for four days? Sorry if this has been done before!

Perissa

Visit site
I've used my haybar every day for two years with soaked hay and never had a problem. However I do empty it everyday. Once a week I brush it out with a small broom. I also have a rubber feed bucket in the bottom of mine and this catches all the seeds and bits he doesn't want to eat making emptying it much easier.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I have wooden stable with Haybar too. No problem at all, I did however paint the corner with the Haybar in with several layers of Marine Varnish. That corner also drains straight out the front of the stable, as stable in american barn type setup.

Happytohack

Visit site
I have haybars for my lot. One of them has soaked hay. Make sure you position the haybar a couple of inches off the floor of the stable, so that any water can drain out easily. Also you do need to clean them out every day - which only takes a minute. They are so much easier than filling haynets.

eekmon

Visit site
Thanks everyone!Off to investigate where to buy!!
smile.gif

rforsyth1984

Visit site
I put shavings in the bottom of mine to soak up the water, so that I dont get a big wet patch in the corner of my (easibed) stable - do have to empty them out every day though, but you dont need a lot!