Soaking hay

Lucky788

Visit site
For those that soak hay how long for? I am getting very mixed views reading through threads and none are that recent.
I am looking to soak overnight, for around 12 hours and then feed that evening once it’s drained. If I don’t soak overnight my second option is to soak for an hour in the morning then feed that evening what would be best?
Partly for weight loss and partly as hay is very dusty TIA

SEL

Visit site
Some people hold very strong opinions on hay soaking! I have a sugar sensitive one and the vets told me that any time soaking is better than no time. Currently they go in for around 12 hours because that suits my routine.

In the summer I sometimes do less of its really hot because research has shown bacteria multiply.

It does leech out all the good stuff, so a vitamin & mineral balancer is a good idea.

If i was just soaking for dust then I'd be happy to dunk for an hour.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I soak hay, but to be honest, it’s a bit of a guessing game regarding reduction in sugars. If it’s only dust spores that you’re concerned about, then soak for an hour & rinse or buy a steamer.

Fruitcake

Visit site
I soak to reduce dust. I only soak for 10 minutes, drain and usually feed immediately but, when it’s cold / not much grass and they get an extra lot at lunch time, I soak an extra few slices at 7am, drain and leave upside down in the tub trugs so OH doesn’t have to faff around soaking when he pops out to fill hay feeder at lunch time. He then does the same when he gives them some at tea time, soaking extra for night time. It stays damp like this for a few hours without having to soak for too long.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Haven't soaked hay for years as now use haylage so not up to date with things but I wouldn't soak in the morning to use to feed in the evening if I've understood correctly.