Sociology - is horse related

Which

• Total voters

JessPickle

Visit site
Today I had a lesson of sociology we were talking about classes and how to define each class and characteristics of each class. The upper class and horses was mentioned so many times I was amazed do you think horses are purely for the upper class? Please If you have strong views or just want to add something comment

monica123

Visit site
i think that anyone can own a horse - we are not wealthy and a lot of out money goes towards the horse - as ong as you have the time, somewhere to keep it, feed and water and shelter for it and love and all the essentials then you can have one.

rcm_73

Visit site
Before cars were invented owning a horse was like owning a car, the better the horse(s) you could afford the more wealth & status you had but nowadays for most people the horse is an expensive hobby rather than a form of transport. I consider myself middle class as I come from an educated mother who went to grammar school and was a college lecturer. My father however came from a working class background and his route into horses in the 1950's was through racing. It's pretty crazy but before entering the racing yard he worked on he'd only ever ridden a beach donkey & the next thing he knew he was up the gallops on the back of a young TB!

annie02

Visit site
Horses are cheap to own, I think that is where part of the sterotype comes from...horses cost $ so you must have $, not always true.

jenbleep

Visit site
IM NOT RICH AND I DONT KEEP HORSES!

there is certainly a stereotype with horses, that people that keep horses are upper class rich people. i certainly dont know anyone like that! ive been riding for 5 years, but have been particulary well off.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think that yes, there is still a very strong idea that horses are kept by rich people. And when you go to many horse shows (especially affiliated stuff) and see the "palaces" some horses arrive in then it is clear that there IS a lot of money involved. However there are also loads of people who AREN'T well off who own horses. I know a few people who TBH, I just dont know how they can afford to keep a horse but they do!

We all know horses cost rather a lot of money but I guess you can "cut corners" a little (ie. buy a suitably cheap horse to keep in the first place like obviously a native is cheaper to keep than a TB).

Wish a was rich quite often though...... Would make owning horses a hell of a lot easier!
frown.gif

Twiglet

Visit site
I loved sociology at college - taught me how to argue more than anything else!

I would be a darn sight richer if I didn't have a horse but I wouldn't have half as much fun
smile.gif

metalmare

Visit site
LOL - I loved philosophy for that same reason - lots of fun debate! Hurray for people who can debate without hard feelings!