Soft hands and race horse riding?

Horseperson432

Visit site
I’ve been riding out on a National hunt yard for a few months now and have definitely felt progression in my riding (in other words I’m not being run away with 24/7 and can just about hold them... most of the time). Now I feel I’m getting the hang of it/ fitter I really want to take my riding to the next level.

I want to work on getting softer hands when riding out, I think my biggest issue is that as the horse gets stronger my hands end up coming up and my only way of holding them is by pulling on their mouth with short reigns (safety mode) as opposed to keeping my hands low and on the withers as the great riders I work with do. I was wondering if any one has any tips they could offer me on this? I just don’t see how people maintain a hold when riding like this. I am quite small and light and people often suggest that the reason I struggle is because I lack the body weight to “push down” on the withers but I’m not sure that’s right... i mean there are plenty of small jockeys!!! Obviously soft hands = a happier horse so I would be so so grateful of any tips. TIA!

Clodagh

Visit site
Watch Ruby Walsh’s critique of the grade 1 hurdle yesterday, with Aidan Coleman riding Epetante. He explained it really well.
He said it took a lot of core strength.

planete

Visit site
I do not remember worrying about soft hands. Quiet hands, yes. It does take a lot of strength to take the thrust of a galloping racehorse while keeping you and him balanced. Softness never came into it for me, but perhaps I was missing something? @ELF?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Strength and balance are likely to be key (though I'm no expert specifically on race riding position), do you have a yoga mat? You can practise a little at home by rolling it up and standing off it with your heels hanging off the back, it may not add anything but it's good for helping with balance for rider, especially pretending to do rising trot. Otherwise you may need an off horse strength and conditioning coach to help with suitable exercises.

Visit site
It's just time and strength. You will build it up. If I have a keen one what I tend to do is plant my hands in their neck so they are pulling against themselves, curl up a little and hold fast. Once you have the arm, upper body, core and leg strength to keep the hands planted down you will be fine. But it really is just time.

Equi

Visit site
Hows your balance? With proper leg (core etc) balance, you will really start to feel the reins are lighter.

Do you ride any other horses? Best way to learn this into muscle memory is to ride a solid animal who will still go forward but not faster faster faster in half seat for as long as you can and build it up but without holding the reins/contact much at all, hence solid animal needed. When out of the saddle, practice your holding squat, use a ski game on a wii or the like, learn to plank like a mofo and make bridging reins part of your anatomy.

Horseperson432

Visit site
It's just time and strength. You will build it up. If I have a keen one what I tend to do is plant my hands in their neck so they are pulling against themselves, curl up a little and hold fast. Once you have the arm, upper body, core and leg strength to keep the hands planted down you will be fine. But it really is just time.
That’s exactly what I struggle with! I can keep them down to start with fine but as soon as they get keener and I get more tired I start to lift them! Thank you very much!

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Time and practice - and the individual horse! When I used to ride out all 'my' horses (the two year olds) used to be able to be ridden with soft hands, as they'd not learnt to grab and pull, but I think I'd have died on some of the older sprinters if I didn't have a strong hold on them. With the ones that have been round the block a bit you really couldn't move your hands at all once you had them, so it's a case of getting them in the right place setting off. Just keep practicing, get stronger through your own body and have fun :)

Gamebird

Visit site
I've been trying to fix the same problem with myself OP. It's hard, isn't it? On a lot of these horses the trick is not ever pulling against them. Which I find very simple in theory, but in principle, when they're getting keen, my reins shorten and my hands go up their neck. I've been consciously trying to ride with a longer length of rein and hands nearer the withers - and I love watching the people who make this easy, especially on a keen horse. I think my problem is that while I used to regularly ride out for trainers, I haven't done so regularly for a few years now. However I am required to ride racehorses a few times a year - usually exercising at the racecourse when they're there for their race. These are high level NH horses and I'd hate to get run off with by one on the morning of a big race, so the stakes are high! The lads I work with are also adamant (whether it's true or not) that you can't hold a keen one unless your stirrups are reasonably short. But then you need the core strength first before you can put your irons up...

Does your yard do any training with one of the colleges? I know that the Northern Racing College do a lot of sessions out on yards helping work riders brush up their skills. I'd think a session with one of their rider coaches could be quite useful.

ETA - also I am the exact opposite of small and light! And I still struggle. It's technique really, and core strength, not outright strength.