Soft Hocks

Kate_13

Visit site
Have posted on lounge my dilema.

My friend (who has him on loan) states my horse has soft hocks, she says she has had him vetted and that he will not sell from more than £1500.

What exactly is soft hocks, is it a problem and is the selling price mentioned true? Or is trying to pull a fast one as she wants to buy him?

Many thanks

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
My mare Touchy was vetted before she was graded and the vet went to great lengths to point out her hocks to me. It is something to do with size of the tendon? and the capsule that covers the point of the hock. He said tht some people might think she had capped hocks but that wasn't the case. The condition you describe is of no consequence. As it happens Touchy subsequently capped her hock anyway so there is now no mistaking a good one and a bad one.
blush.gif

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Mmm, has he got a bog spavin, capped hock or thoroughpin? Any sort of squashy swellings at all!? Other than that I am stuck! I wouldn't drop his price to £1500 if you think he is worth more than that unless a vet diagnoses a hock problem.

Kate_13

Visit site
I have left a message for said friend soon to be ex friend to send me the vets report. If he diagnoses a problem, then I will sell him to her for what she wants, but will get back all 10 rugs, 3 bridles, saddle worth £400, and all associated bits and bobs.

What a dilema!

Thanks for your support x

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Good luck, did he pass the vetting? I would be keen to speak to the vet who did it - you are entitled to know what was said as he is your horse.

Kate_13

Visit site
I don't think it was a proper vetting, so I have left it in her court. If she can prove he is only worth £1500 then fine, but if not, I will have him back and sell to someone who deserves him.

Beanyowner

Visit site
'Soft Hocks'...thats a new one on me!!

If it wasn't a proper vetting anyway...I would say your 'friend' was chatting b******s...a vet would give a much clearer diagnosis of what the problem actually was. I wouldn't leave the ball in her court...shes trying to take you for a ride me thinks!

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Sorry hun,but I would never sell a horse to someone like your so-called friend!God alone knows what she'd do with it once it was in her possession.
Get your horse back and sell to someone who deserves him!

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
what on earth are soft hocks, I have been in this game over 25 years and never EVER heard of it!! My boy drops a leg occasionally always has, its is because he is being lazy and just slides occasionaly lol

Halfstep

Visit site
I can only think that as capped hocks sometimes feel a bit squishy to touch, perhaps this is where this term came from??? Never heard it before though - and I've had two horses with capped hocks.
Anyway, get the hocks x-rayed and see whether there is any damage to the joint. If not, the horse should be fine. Both mine passed 5 stage vettings with clean x-rays despite the capped hocks.

Kate_13

Visit site
Well, the update is as follows:

I have told her to get 2 independant vettings for him. Apparantly the vet said their was fluid on the hocks, ummmmm..... he must have xray eyes!!!

Friend has since apologised for her outrageous behaviour and I have accepted her apology. I have also asked her to get my poor horse valued by 3 top riders in Eventing, Dressage and SJ.

The ball is in her court, but I think we are agreeing a price at the moment.

Thanks for your support