Soft shell competition jackets

{97702}

Visit site
I’m wondering about one of these as they seem to be more comfortable and easy to wear than a traditional jacket. I’m short (5’2”) with very square shoulders and I’m also fat - would these jackets look horrendous and clingy? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Lévrier;13714504 said:
I’m wondering about one of these as they seem to be more comfortable and easy to wear than a traditional jacket. I’m short (5’2”) with very square shoulders and I’m also fat - would these jackets look horrendous and clingy? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Well, I don't like them AT ALL - and they certainly won't do you any favours if you're plump. Any that I have seen (and they are everywhere....) are far too short and far too tight and make the wearer look like they are enclosed in a plastic bag.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I think you are being a little harsh on yourself there Lev! :D

But having said that, I don't really like them as I'm a bit old fashioned and I don't think they are very flattering whatever your height and girth :D

My ex-mother-in-law would be turning in her urn at the very thought, but then she wouldn't let anyone remove their jackets when jumping in a heat wave, so no surprise there.

LeannePip

Visit site
I have 2 Animo's, they aren't 'soft shell' but are 'technical' fabric and I like them as they are lightweight but they almost shout to the entire show ground when you've gained a couple of pounds! :D

{97702}

Visit site
I have 2 Animo's, they aren't 'soft shell' but are 'technical' fabric and I like them as they are lightweight but they almost shout to the entire show ground when you've gained a couple of pounds! :D

Oh god no, that would be awful for me :D :D :D Maybe I will stick with jumping in my restrictive and uncomfortable tweed jacket :D :D

Polos

Visit site
I have 6 animo show jackets and I find they are very flattering provided they are in the right size.

The very cheap 'soft shell' ones (e.g. belle equi ones were particularly horrendous) do look awful and can make you look like you are wearing a plastic bag so provided you are prepared to spend a decent amount of money I honestly wouldn't go with one as you will just end up with tacky tat that looks cheap.

Animo are the best in my opinion. Cavelira toscana and kingsland are not far behind

AFB

Visit site
I agree that the old wool jackets look super smart, but they're just not practical or comfortable if you need to jump in any degree of relative warmth.

I have a technical (not softshell) jacket and I haven't touched my wool one since buying it, it's got stretch so I'm not restricted when jumping, it's showerproof which is ALWAYS a bonus in this country and it's breathable so I can stay at a comfortable temperature underneath.

It is fairly short in the body but it's cut nicely and doesn't look plasticy.

Four Seasons

Visit site
I have a softshell jacket, kind of like it, cause it's nice and warm in the winter, but in the summer it's sticky material. Also I lost a tiny bit of weight and it looks like a bin bag on me now. I had an Esperado jacket. If I would buy another jacket, it would be of technical material, as I've heard good stories about that material.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I got my first technical one last year - a Pikeur one which I got as it was slightly longer than the usual ones. It'll look good, once I can lose a mass of baby weight to actually fit into it... ha ha!! I find them much comfier than traditional ones. Just get a size bigger than usual so its not skin tight like some brave people wear them!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Best thing is to go try loads on and see what you like :).

I have the Fairplay Bea, I love it, it is stretchy and easy to wear (after coming from showing in heavy wool) however it is not forgiving. Though I am fairly single minded and I like so, others can look at my rolls of flab in wonder ;).

Cutaways are even more unforgiving but good for giving the illusion of longer legs for us vertically challenged people :eek:.

From looking respectable:
20108143_669022199950310_8316061930826265691_n.jpg

To roleypoley :lol:
20881856_684179151767948_7883348527934218151_n.jpg

I know this is more flattering really :lol:
21151239_687844258068104_111372232987007096_n.jpg

But so hot and restrictive!!

Lanky Loll

Visit site
I always had a "trad" jacket but have been won over by my Pikeur Lucinda - it's not skinny fit like the animo's (which I have yet to see truly flatter anyone), and is so comfy, plus takes plenty of washing abuse :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Speaking as someone who makes clothes for a living (amongst other things...), the fabrics used for these jackets are never going to hang or fit. Add to that the truly AWFUL cut of modern riding jackets (nobody wants to see your bum, believe me), and I positively long for the traditional line and drape. There are lightweight wools, you don't have to be boiled alive (although that too is of course traditional...). I'll see if I can find a pic of the jacket I made for myself the last time I went to a competition...

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Why are they all so expensive when non -horsey soft shell jackets, I have one for cycling and one normal wear one, can be about 20 quid, so the material isn't that expensive?

I do have a stretchy jacket, Mum bought it for her I think it's just a dublin or similar, is is nice having a bit of stretch in it when jumping but it won't have been more than £40.

Fiona

Visit site
I have a very fine lightweight wool Pikeur jacket that I love, and it doesn't tend to make me overheat.

Have just bought 6yo son a Horseware soft shell jacket that was in the sale at TRI but he tends to get v hot as wears a body protector.

Fiona

Hallo2012

Visit site
Speaking as someone who makes clothes for a living (amongst other things...), the fabrics used for these jackets are never going to hang or fit. Add to that the truly AWFUL cut of modern riding jackets (nobody wants to see your bum, believe me), and I positively long for the traditional line and drape. There are lightweight wools, you don't have to be boiled alive (although that too is of course traditional...). I'll see if I can find a pic of the jacket I made for myself the last time I went to a competition...

sorry cortez i love the bum freezer look (albeit have the approx body shape of a 12yo chinese boy so not much to hang off, drape over, cover up or otherwise lol, straight up and down about covers it!)

ive just bought myself a Harcour one in slate blue :)

GermanyJo

Visit site
I bought an Iris Bayer technical jacket last year, was trying every jacket in the Shop and getting desperate to find one that didnt make me look like a sausage.... Wanted a traditional one, but was surprised how well this one fitted... I probably wouldnt have tried it on if the traditional ones werent all for size 8s with no arse 😀
Was more than i had planned to pay but turned out to be worth it

rosiesowner

Visit site
I have this jacket in navy. It's a lovely jacket and really flattering and breathable but not in that really thin, almost shiny softshell material. It has a zip under the buttons so really 'sucks you in' which I find helpful! Easy on the pocket, too. Don't be fooled by the awful pic of the black one that pops up, take a look at the photo of the navy one. Here it is in action. https://www.shiresequestrian.com/sloane-showjumping-dressage-jacket-ladies

27337227_894347080724940_5447723164247457004_n.jpg