Soil licking.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Both my dingbats seem to have a taste for soil right now. This is nothing new for Granny, feed seems to make no difference either. It may be nothing new for The Beast but prior to moving up here she was on full livery so have not observed as I wasn't interacting as much.

Both have salt licks which they use with enthusiasm AND salt added to their teas. They don't get a balancer but Granny gets a recommended amount of veteran complete feed and The Beast seems to not really get on with balancers (just not as "well" overall). I have started soaking hay though so perhaps they aren't getting as much as usual... have I answered my own question?

Damn it. I've answered my own question. I think I'll get them a couple of mineral licks each to have in their stables...

😂 I'm going to post anyway.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine is on chop and Progressive Earth Pro Hoof, just because it covers a lot of vits and minerals. I do think it is a salt or vit/mineral need. But then, you already answered that :p

Mule

Visit site
Mine used to do it until I tried leaving out a tub of loose salt for them to help themselves to. They eat a surprisingly large amount. They don't bother with it in summer, only in winter. It might be worth giving them free choice salt, just in case.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
F continued even when on minerals balanced to forage. Iirc it was mostly a winter thing!

Always certain favourite patches though.

Fransurrey

Visit site
If your horse started this recently, it might be the stress of the move or the new grazing/forage upsetting his gutand putting the bacteria out of balance. What are his poos like? Soft or well formed? If the former, salt lick still a good idea, but consider a binder, such as NAF Thrive or Protexin Gut Balancer.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
The move was over 7 months ago now so I don't think its related. Poops all fine. They've got mineral licks in their stables now which they are keen to use and I've not seen as much obvious soil licking for a week or so.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I just got a Rockies type lick from the local feed merchant. Says "also suitable for horses" on it so I think it's a cow lick. It's mineralised salt so no molasses.