Solar eclipse

humblepie

Visit site
Sorry if already a thread but anyone know if any issues over horses being out during the solar eclipse ie on their eyes ? Or do we just tell them not to stare at the sun ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I was mid lesson, teaching, during the last one. The humans all stopped to watch (yeah, I KNOW that was wrong) and the horses just stood around and did not take any notice at all.

It is only dangerous if you actually gawp at it (as we did) and the horses had more sense!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I was also teaching at the last one - PC camp - DC wanted all the children to get off & sit in a room till it had finished, in case one damaged their eyes! Parents & children were furious, so carboard specs were given to them all instead lol, but we were told to make sure all dismounted till the light came back properly.

Unfortunately, we were going XC, so my group just wittered happily on their horses & ponies as the light dimmed & took a break :)

madmav

Visit site
Cloudy tomorrow, I think. So does that mean we won't all go blind if we sneak a look? Person on a Radio 4 today was recommending viewing it through a colander...

suffolkmare

Visit site
Madmav, you use the colander to focus the image of the sun on to a screen (sheet of white paper), you get lots of little "suns"! It was on Stargazing Live tonight and Dara joked it was how a fly sees an eclipse! Never look directly at the sun with the naked eye, through a colander, binoculars, telescope, sunglasses, fake eclipse viewing goggles, cardboard tubes, pinholes in foil, etc... ALL recommended methods of viewing include a specialized solar filter or a projection onto a screen. The safest way by far is online or on TV, lol.

fburton

Visit site
I'd be surprised if horses noticed at all, unless they are keen cloud watchers (and why would they be?). As far as illumination goes, partial eclipses are similar to the sun being obscured by heavy cloud, which happens all the time and is something horses are well used to.

Last time there we came close to a total solar eclipse was in August 1999. In Glasgow we got 82% of totality. I was watching horses at the time, interested to see what they would do following a cautious announcement from the BHS to the effect that it might be safer to keep horses stabled during the event(!). Of course, my scepticism turned out to be justified - the horses carried on grazing as if nothing was happening. None showed any sign whatever of having noticed anything out of the ordinary.

fburton

Visit site
Good advice not to stare at the sun.

My own experience shouldn't be taken to mean it is less dangerous than everyone says, but I remember doing exactly what they tell you not to a few times when I was in primary school. I would stare directly at the sun until it went a sort of grey - which is what happens anyway if you fixate on an object for long enough. Heaven knows why! :eek3: However, my eyesight has always been good in terms of acuity. It still is to this day, although I now have to wear glasses for driving because of my myopia and astigmatism that developed after I was 40 years old. Various aspects of my eyesight have been tested over the years because of my participation in physiology projects. (Apparently I was the best at telling colours apart in one group studied.) So my childhood folly doesn't seem to have had bad consequences - though it could be argued that my eyesight might have been even better had I not stared at the sun.

I am sure other people would have more cautionary stories to offer.

:moon:

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
We've just watched it through a very crude pinhole camera with 2 sheets of paper. It satisfied my daughter.

I wasn't at the yard but all the birds went into the trees and it was really quiet.

It was a bit spooky. 86% totality apparently!!!

fburton

Visit site
I was watching it at Glasgow Uni with hundreds of workmates. The cloud cover threatened to make the event a bit of a damp squib, but moments before maximum eclipse there was a small break in the clouds and we could see the dark disk of the moon right covering most of the sun. Cheering and clapping.

Did anyone see horses doing anything out of the ordinary??

Last edited:

lhotse

Visit site
I went out for a ride at about 9.15am, the light was rather eerie although it didn't get any darker than if a big cloud had come across. It was still a bit misty across the fields too which made it even spookier. Horse didn't seem to notice anything at all!!