Solar fence energisers

lizziebell

Visit site
There's a lot more advanced solar technologies available these days, so I was wandering how effective are the newest solar fence energisers?

Anyone use one, and if so, what make/ model and any good? Any makes/ models to avoid?

We are trying to get our property (house/ stables etc) as off-grid as possible and although the mains energisers don't use "that much", every little helps.

jrp204

Visit site
We use a separate solar panel as opposed to one built in, if either unit breaks down it is easy and cheap to swap to a new energiser/panel.

Shazzababs

Visit site
I have this one: http://www.gallagherelectricfencing...ered-energisers/s17-incl-battery-1186089.html

I've had if for about 3 years. Its out 24/7 and it works really well, just set it up and forget about it. I've had to replace the battery once, but it was really cheap (about £10) and really easy to change over. Its light, easy to setup and use and actually works all of the time. Even my big lad who learnt a long time ago that the fence stops biting if he pushes hard enough seams to respect it.

I used to have one that connected to a car battery and this one has been so much easier to use (and no more lugging the battery up to the house to charge it).

The only issue I have has is that it has to be stood about few inches of the ground or it doesn't seam to charge very well (we are on a steep hill though). Mine is on an upturned feed bucket.

skint1

Visit site
I have the same as Shazzababs, haven't had to use it for a while but my friend uses it for her pony, it works a treat, saves the whole lugging batteries thing

SEL

Visit site
https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/9v...-tester.html?gclid=CNzjxJCd9tICFcgp0wodUbUCOA

I've got this one. I've taken out the centre of my paddock as a sort of strip graze / track type arrangement and have put this on it to stop them breaking through and scoffing the grass. Its working well & gave me a smack the other day when I forgot it was on. Its quite light to move around as well. I had it on a different fence line in Jan and it wasn't really getting much sun - but still seemed to charge up ok even if the fence tester was showing about 1/2 power.

supsup

Visit site
I think it really depends on your needs. No solar-powered energiser is going to give you the same performance as one run off 12V battery, or mains. If you look at the links above, the second one has only 0.22J output, and uses a non-rechageable 9V battery. All the (5W) solar panel does is double the lifespan of the 9V battery, then you have to replace it.
The first link doesn't give as much info on the solar panel/energiser spec, but states the battery holds 7Ah. For comparison, I need an energiser with 1.5-2J output to deliver a reliable zap (in a 2.5 acre field, so not masses of fencing), and a "normal" 12V battery has 70Ah capacity. I need to charge the battery every 2-3 weeks (more powerful energisers obviously draw more energy).

In short, a small (5W) solar panel can only keep the battery topped up if you don't actually draw a lot of power from it. For this reason, solar powered energisers are usually pretty weak (in terms of your output Joules). If you only have a very short fence, and are not likely to have vegetation touching, and respectful horses, then that may be perfectly fine. I don't think it would work for me.

My friend had a Wolseley SX250 to use for travelling and mobile paddocks, and it never did the job very well. I think in part because it was often stored in the dark in the van, but even when she used it at home for strip grazing, it was always wimpy. I suspect the battery may have been drained too far at one point (not enough sun relative to use), and there was no way to access the internal battery and charge it from an outlet to revive it. Maybe that's what killed it, who knows.

Art Nouveau

Visit site
I found this site helpful http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/technicalhelp/power/solar-power/

I already had 12V leisure batteries, and I know they used about 10Ah a week. From the advice on the site above I calculated I would need a 25W solar charger to keep the battery powered in winter with limited daylight. This would be far too much in summer so I also got a solar charger controller, which serves the dual purpose of preventing the power draining back into the solar panel overnight and also closing the supply from the solar charger when the battery is full. I bought it all as an Eco Worthy kit off Amazon, but as I've only just ordered it I can't tell you how well it works yet!