Solariums/infra red heat lamps

Achinghips

Visit site
Do any of you have one? Are they a waste of money or really useful? Do the horses like them? I read that two heat lamps either side of stable does job just as well, especially for arthritic legs as the heat is more side on rather than above .... Any thoughts on that and so you have to cross tie? Are they good for stiff arthritic oldies?

Rollin

Visit site
My visiting trainer has recommended I get an infra-red lamp. He says they are worthwhile and easy to hook up.

gunnergundog

Visit site
There have been solariums on a number of yards I've been on. They have been great for drying wet horses off; also, physios seem to appreciate a horse stood underneath them before treating- especially in winter. They can also have a soporific effect when clipping/shoeing. Horses generally just fall asleep under them.

Unsure as to the effect they would have specifically on legs though.

Shay

Visit site
We have a solarium - I absolutely love it. Its a gift for drying a wet horse in the winter. Whether we're grooming for a winter show or trying to get clean from hunting the horses seem to love it and it certainly is easier than toweling / thatching.

Personally I don't cross tie. If they are not safe to stand then I don't put them under it. Far too expensive to risk someone messing about and hitting themselves on it. The one we have is very much over the back - the legs dry because the horse itself is warm. The general warmth would help something arthritic - but you might do better with a targeted hand held lamp than a full solarium set up.