sold from the field. what to expect?

popsdosh

Visit site
I think most are missing the point a lot of owners sell from the field at a cheap price because they dont want all the hassle and drama involved in selling with all the tyre kickers and hangers on coming to ride and then a 5* vetting that invariably ends up without a sale because the vet finds something minor!
The OP may have missed a bargain but unless they feel confident about assessing the horse themselves dont bother.Riders do make big money out of these types of horses however you cannot have it both ways, really its easy to spend more on a 5* vetting than some of these horses cost.
I never have horses vetted,I al;so know of a top end dealer who will not allow vettings but has a very sound warranty in place. Their attitude is if you want the horse buy it .I have to say they dont suffer from lack of sales.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I think most are missing the point a lot of owners sell from the field at a cheap price because they dont want all the hassle and drama involved in selling with all the tyre kickers and hangers on coming to ride and then a 5* vetting that invariably ends up without a sale because the vet finds something minor!

I've honestly never heard this as the reason for selling from the field, the ones I've seen almost always involve lack of a rider or lack of time to bring into work - many state they want a good home for a beloved horse (to a touch of hassle for sorting a vetting isn't much if it get the horse the home he needs)

I bought last week and asked the people about vetting - they said I was welcome to arrange one but they didn't have anywhere flat enough for parts of a five stage but I should ask my vet what he could and couldn't do when he saw the yard. Actually I didn't get a vetting at all - but their attitude reassured me they probably weren't trying to hide anything. If they'd have said no vetting, I'd have walked away - even though I didn't want a vetting

Booboos

Visit site
I'm a cynic. I think if someone has a lovely horse but no time for it, they could just get a sharer, or make time for 2-3 months and then sell it for a good price to a good home because there is always a market for a good horse. I'd assume that a horse left in a field had serious ridden problems or an injury and would be very suspiscious of someone who would not box a horse to the vet's or the local RS or livery yard to get the vetting done.

wench

Visit site
I have a friend who sold her horse from the field simply as she didn't have time to ride, nor the money to pay for him to be ridden. She'd tried sharers but the ones that were interested in the horse were unreliable and a waste of space, so the horse ended up being sold from the field

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I never have horses vetted,I al;so know of a top end dealer who will not allow vettings but has a very sound warranty in place. Their attitude is if you want the horse buy it .I have to say they dont suffer from lack of sales.
Really? I do not move in such exalted circles so I have no idea which dealer you are referring to, but I certainly wouldn't buy an expensive horse without a full vetting. Not least for the insurance implications, no matter how 'reputable' the dealer or how robust the warranty.

Anyhow, if the dealer goes bust, that's the warranty stuffed.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The OP may have missed a bargain but unless they feel confident about assessing the horse themselves dont bother.Riders do make big money out of these types of horses however you cannot have it both ways, really its easy to spend more on a 5* vetting than some of these horses cost.

And if you took the horse home vetted it and it was found it was not fit for purpose you could demand your money back and they would have to give it to you .
No question .
Fatty my OH's horse taught always vet no matter when it was last done if you don't you risk putting your nearest and dearest on a dead trap.