"Sold from the Field"

Singing Dawg

Lang may yer lum reek
Visit site
What's your take on this descriptor in an advert?

First of all this is not an advert, it's to try and get clarification as to whether i have the right understanding of this term.

If a horse is advertised as sold from the field would you expect to ride it?

With so many replies to an advert i don't think it's fair to horse who's been off work for months due to departure of rider at back end of last year.

Im interested to know, would you expect to ride it, or be happy seeing it tacked up?

At the price horse is advertised for it's cheaper than buying in a market and you're getting far more info and time to examine and decide.

Lolo

Visit site
No, tome 'sold from field' means that it's been chucked out and left to it for whatever reason. I;d want to handle and see it being tacked up if possible, but I wouldn't expect to ride it.

LeannePip

Visit site
personally would take it to mean, sold as it is not in work, not fit maybe not done anything in a while, i probably wouldnt get on one i was going to view advertised like that but would like to see it tacked up, possibly a quick lunge. but i don know people who have bought/sold horses 'sold from field and a couple have got on to see what reaction it has to a rider walk and maybe trot but to acctually asking it much

Singing Dawg

Lang may yer lum reek
Visit site
Thanks people, exactly the common sense replies i'd hoped for! Horse has behaved impecably with the two people who have tried it (one after 7 months off the other about 6 weeks after that!). now I have to find a polite way to transfer this information to the respondants to the advert, and of course, they have to believe me!

Tammytoo

Visit site
My understanding is that you wouldn't expect to ride it or see it ridden. The horse is turned out in the field, hopefully you should be able to put on a headcollar and trot it up , have a quick look over it, feel legs etc (unless advised to the contrary). Horses sold like this usually fetch a poor price as there is no guarantee that they will be rideable - generally a purchase for a professional or very experienced private buyer.

wench

Visit site
I would at least expect to see that you can saddle it up and have a sit on with out it going nutty.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
No. Cheap because you can't get on it and see of its going to slam dunk you ;-)

Agree. If you couldn't have a wee sit on it, I'd assume it was a nutter or had an injury. I loaned my mare out "from the field". I got on her and rode her when she had been off for 7 + months and the girl tried her quickly as well. They couldn't get a real picture of her of course but it was enough to show she wasn't mad.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I would at least expect to see that you can saddle it up and have a sit on with out it going nutty.

This, If I'm happy enough to hop on for 5 mins couple of circles in the field and a few strides of trot - fully bearing in mind 7 months off (and happy that the owner didn;t want to ride first) this is what I'd want to do.

If the owner completely refused I'd walk away assuming horse is nutter!

My boy had 10 months off when I had a baby and I hopped on and took him for a strole without issue (he got naughter after a few months when fittnes started to come back)

Coldfeet!

Visit site
I replied to an ad a few years ago stating "sold from field" so from my own experience I would expect you would not be able to ride it, vet it or anything else, you just hand you money over and try and get the horse on a box.

I asked the advertiser if the horse was open to vet, they said "No love, its sold from the field as we havnt got time and what you you want for X amount, im not bothered seeing anyone who isnt prepared to buy it from the field"

I explained I would be happy to buy him from the field or even a kennel if it can be proven the horse is healthy and sound, "no love" came the reply. I did not buy him.

mynutmeg

Visit site
This, If I'm happy enough to hop on for 5 mins couple of circles in the field and a few strides of trot - fully bearing in mind 7 months off (and happy that the owner didn;t want to ride first) this is what I'd want to do.

If the owner completely refused I'd walk away assuming horse is nutter!

My boy had 10 months off when I had a baby and I hopped on and took him for a strole without issue (he got naughter after a few months when fittnes started to come back)

This, I wouldn't expect to do a full schooling session or long hack but I'd expect to be able to jump up for 5 minutes and do a quick walk, trot, canter to ensure the horse wasn't going to freak and try to dump me. Obviously the 'sold from field' means it's not fit or anything so wouldn't expect it to do much

Littlelegs

Visit site
I wouldn't expect to ride it properly, but I would expect to have a quick sit. Even with horses at low end sales if they are sold as backed or as out of work ridden horses you still get chance for a sit. I'd take a gamble on how it might go when fit or asked to work properly, but if I couldn't even have a 5min sit then I'd assume you were hiding something & wouldn't take it for free tbh.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Over here if a horse is 'sold from the field' you go and see it in the field, watch it trot/canter around and make your decision based on that. No saddle will be put on and horse is usually not taken out the field for any reason. One I bought 'from the field' the owner did take to their arena and I saw it doing its stuff there. I've bought a few horses unseen or from the field and to date I've never been disappointed but you do need to know what you are looking at.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I would take sold from the field as exactly that and not expect even to sit on to be honest! A bonus but I don't think you could expect it. They are saying sold as seen so take your chance.

wench

Visit site
I replied to an ad a few years ago stating "sold from field" so from my own experience I would expect you would not be able to ride it, vet it or anything else, you just hand you money over and try and get the horse on a box.

I asked the advertiser if the horse was open to vet, they said "No love, its sold from the field as we havnt got time and what you you want for X amount, im not bothered seeing anyone who isnt prepared to buy it from the field"

I explained I would be happy to buy him from the field or even a kennel if it can be proven the horse is healthy and sound, "no love" came the reply. I did not buy him.

I'd still expect to have a horse vetted if required. Sounds like this one was dodgy.

Brownmare

Visit site
I bought my new lad from the field and was told categorically by the vendor that she wasn't prepared to let me ride him as she had only sat on him twice and he had decked her both times, putting her in hospital on the second one!

Muppet that I am I bought him anyway and he hasn't put a foot wrong from the moment I got him home :)

wench

Visit site
I bought my new lad from the field and was told categorically by the vendor that she wasn't prepared to let me ride him as she had only sat on him twice and he had decked her both times, putting her in hospital on the second one!

Muppet that I am I bought him anyway and he hasn't put a foot wrong from the moment I got him home :)

I would say this is a different scenario. Seller was honest... as opposed to just saying no you cant have a go I've not got time...

Polos Mum

Visit site
I'd still expect to have a horse vetted if required. Sounds like this one was dodgy.

Agreed, no reason at all for a vet not to be able to have a look (vettings can be booked for the next day and a deal done in 24 hours so hardly a massive wait for seller!)

Sorry - no legitimate reason

As with any sale if someone else comes to have a look and decideds to take home while I'm organising the vet - that's just a risk I have to take (or leave big deposit to secure - unlikely in 'from field' bargin!)

Umbongo

Visit site

Crikey...at least the owner was honest!

If I was buying a horse as sold from field, then I would still expect to see it in the field, bring it in, groom etc. If it has only been a few months out of work then I would hope for a quick lunge and/or a little sit on. I wouldn't expect to ride it properly but I would still want to know that it wouldn't deck me as soon as I got on!

If it has been longer than just a few months then I would not expect to sit on.

I've been to see a couple of sold from field horses. One had been out of work for 6 months, I was offered a quick ride (only walking and a bit of trot)

The second had been out of work completely for 3 years, so I groomed, tacked up etc. The owner offered me a ride but I declined as did not think it was fair.

Last edited:

wench

Visit site
The second had been out of work completely for 3 years, so I groomed, tacked up etc. The owner offered me a ride but I declined as did not think it was fair.

This is fair enough... Tbh even if out of work for ages I would expect to see it tacked up, even if the saddle wasnt the best fit in the world, so you could at least see you can get a saddle on it.

CBAnglo

Visit site
Horses dont generally lose all fitness having been turned away - they are still moving about 24/7, trotting, cantering, galloping etc. You should still be able to tack up and even have a sit in walk, or do some in hand work to see how he reacts to the bit. I wouldnt personally lunge as I think that is way harder than a couple of laps in walk/trot.

I would consider "sold from field" as literally meaning you see horse in the field and decide whether or not to buy it and priced accordingly. The seller may catch it for you/bring in/groom/tack up etc but that horse will be considerably more than one "sold from field". I laugh when I see "sold from field" and the seller is still looking for thousands/what you would expect to pay for a horse in work.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Sold from the field ,
I would expect the horse to be not in work not groomed and tidy but I would expect to see it tacked and someone on its back ( assuming its been ridden )
I would expect to see it briefly ridden round, trotted up and down in hand and round in a small circle on the hard.
If this was not aviable I would assume its nuts or had some terrible issue.
I would expect the price to be very very good because of the risk I would be taking.
And I would want to see it in a stable if I could not I would assume it was nuts in the stable too.

stormox

Visit site
To me, 'sold from the field' would mean no shoes, rough muddy coat, maybe hadnt been handled in a while. If a youngster, Id be prepared for it to be completely unhandled, maybe even a bit feral, but if its a horse they were selling as a riding horse Id expect it to be caught up, and maybe tacked up and sat on. At the very least, if there was no one suitable to do this, Id like to see its reactions if I leant over it, or jumped up and down beside it.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I laugh when I see "sold from field" and the seller is still looking for thousands/what you would expect to pay for a horse in work.

Interesting. I paid double figure thousands for this mare who was being 'sold from the field'. I arrived, saw her in her stable, had her taken out to the arena, took this video of her, she was put back in her stable and I made the deal based on all you see in my video linked below. I never rode her, never tacked her up, just videoed her whizzing around the arena and decided I wanted her so I bought her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vpf8qLneJ0

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
Interesting. I paid double figure thousands for this mare who was being 'sold from the field'. I arrived, saw her in her stable, had her taken out to the arena, took this video of her, she was put back in her stable and I made the deal based on all you see in my video linked below. I never rode her, never tacked her up, just videoed her whizzing around the arena and decided I wanted her so I bought her.

Yes well, who wouldn't if they had the money and experience?:D
Gorgeous.

katymay

Visit site

She is beautiful, and I love the way she comes over to you then goes back to showing off! as if she is saying buy me!

lme

Visit site

Nice. And I can see why you bought her. What did you do with her?