sold horse

ponypuff

New User
Visit site
please help.
i sold my horse being very open about what needed training, but the new owner hates him and classes him as dangerous rather then needing training :( not true at all! ... and all after just a week of having him, so no time to settle at all before they started trying to ride him etc!
they have just abandoned him at my old yard in which they have no space for him now and also noone knew he was coming back or noone was there to recieve him! - so they basically tresspassed onto private property, dumped him and went!
to stop any more stress and hassel i have refunded them the money but they are refusing to return the passport back to me without some sort of compensation(i do not believe after how they have acted this would actuayl stop them wanting more and more and never give it back!)
where do i stand with this? has anybody been in this situation? - i need to find a livery and fast for the poor little guy now! - some people are so heartless!
i do not want to give up on this as i want the passport to be able to find him a nicer home (with people that actually understand him!) thanks

Darremi

Visit site
please help.
i sold my horse being very open about what needed training, but the new owner hates him and classes him as dangerous rather then needing training :( not true at all! ... and all after just a week of having him, so no time to settle at all before they started trying to ride him etc!
they have just abandoned him at my old yard in which they have no space for him now and also noone knew he was coming back or noone was there to recieve him! - so they basically tresspassed onto private property, dumped him and went!
to stop any more stress and hassel i have refunded them the money but they are refusing to return the passport back to me without some sort of compensation(i do not believe after how they have acted this would actuayl stop them wanting more and more and never give it back!)
where do i stand with this? has anybody been in this situation? - i need to find a livery and fast for the poor little guy now! - some people are so heartless!
i do not want to give up on this as i want the passport to be able to find him a nicer home (with people that actually understand him!) thanks

Why did you refund the money before obtaining the passport? Sadly by returning the money you have lost your strong bargaining position.

However, the other party cannot demand compensation without being able to prove losses. So their demands may be hollow.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
That is completely outrageous! Not to mention illegal to withhold the passport; it must accompany the horse. Do not just roll over on this - I would assume you are in no way liable for compensation unless this has been ordered by a judgement after proof in law (legal persons help me out here!). Talk to a solicitor or the BHS legal help line as soon as possible.

ponypuff

New User
Visit site
we had the agreement if i refunded they would send passport back but it has not happened and now refusing to post it to me and want to take me to court to get more money from me! - i dont not understand how or what they would take me for : they didnt want the horse so returned him and theyve had teir money so why be idiots about it. i clearly said in the advert i couldnt have him back and it was not a loan so theyve had it esy returning him anyway!

*unbalanced- no im not with bhs, ill look at membership.

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
Please say you've got a receipt/proof of payment for the money you refunded?

You need to send them a letter (send it recorded delivery) demanding the immediate return of the passport and pointing out that they are breaking the law by refusing to give you the passport. And that their demand for compensation before returning the passport to you is extortion. And you will be reporting them to the police unless they return the passport to you within 7 days.

You can get a duplicate passport from the issuing agency if all else fails.

ponypuff

New User
Visit site
*cortez - they have said they will be taking me to court to get transport fees (even though i did NOT ask for or even arrange for him to be returned!) and extra for wasting their time with a horse they could not settle after a week!- i advertised experienced handler only and clearly they are not if they expect him to settle after a matter of days.
i am in search of a livery to put him in and until i getthe passport or taken to court he will have to stay there - i am not as heartless or mean to just leave him to fend for himself! i think they knew i was an easy target as i love this horse so much and was such a sad sale.

Last edited:

Corner Mad House

Visit site
*cortez - they have said they will be taking me to court to get transport fees (even though i did NOT ask for or even arrange for him to be returned!) and extra for wasting their time with a horse they could not settle after a week!- i advertised experienced handler only and clearly they are not if they expect him to settle after a matter of days.
i am in search of a livery to put him in and until i getthe passport or taken to court he will have to stay there - i am not as heartless or mean to just leave him to fend for himself! i think they knew i was an easy target as i love this horse so much and was such a sad sale.

Sounds to me like you were set up!

Buddy's Mum is giving you good advice.

Also legal helpline on BHS. Make sure you tell them everything little thing as they can only advise on the information you give to them.

ponypuff

New User
Visit site
Please say you've got a receipt/proof of payment for the money you refunded?

You need to send them a letter (send it recorded delivery) demanding the immediate return of the passport and pointing out that they are breaking the law by refusing to give you the passport. And that their demand for compensation before returning the passport to you is extortion. And you will be reporting them to the police unless they return the passport to you within 7 days.

You can get a duplicate passport from the issuing agency if all else fails.

i will do this idea of a letter

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yes write the letter. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on suing you. You have accepted the horse back and refunded them. Tell them to go to court if they want to, but legally the passport should be with the horse, so they will have to return it when they get solicitors involved anyway.. Tell them you will not be giving them a penny more. End of.

Goldenstar

Visit site
As all the advice given so far plus ring the passport agency first thing on Monday morning and tell them the position and follow the call up with a letter .

Arizahn

Visit site
Inform them that there are about 5000 reasons and a £ sign as to why the passport should have remained with the horse. Definitely, get onto the BHS and the passport agency as soon as possible. Good luck.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I would also tell them that if they don't give you the passport back you will report it to DEFRA, the government dept that rules that passports should stay with the horse.

Don't worry at all about them.x