Sold Sound

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Take care because "sold sound" also means that if you bought the horse and a few days/weeks later it had developed a lameness or other un-soundness, then you'd have NO comeback if you tried to argue the horse was like that before you bought him!

labruyere

Visit site
as above...

but that applies to vettings too... only says horse is sound on day...

THE BIG DIFFERENCE is one is assessed by the seller, and one by a third party who is professionally obliged to act on your behalf...

I always advise people to think about horse sellers as second hand car dealers
(or use this analogy to explain to their partners why they might want to spend money on a vetting :D)

if you are in the trade and understand what to look for under the bonnet, what to listen for idling and driven, and know your Fiat from your Ferrari, then go ahead and buy at your OWN risk

if not, get your local TRUSTED garage to look it over before you buy it...

and if you're daft enough to believe everything the person selling it to you says is True, then you'll soon learn what Caveat Emptor means...

to expand...
personally I wouldn't dream of buying a car without advice,
but I do buy horses unvetted because I have gained sufficient experience over decades to make this a viable risk
however I know and RECOGNISE the associated risk, and I buy based on what I see, not what I'm told...

also note the TRUSTED garage analogy - there are a lot of vets out there very happy to take money off you for a vetting who don't know one end of a horse from a poodle...

mcnaughty

Visit site
This is purely a statement - just like quiet hack or viceless - it is up to the buyer to get the pony vetted. As with anything written in an advert - take with huge pinch of salt!

If you like the pony - just call the seller and ask for clarification.

Silvermiyazawa

Visit site
I queried it as this particular dealer (albeit a very reputable one) has some horses with "sold sound" in their add and some with "open to vetting". Made me wonder.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If you are interested in a horse & this phrase is in the advert ask the seller exactly what they mean. With any description in any advert if you don't understand what they mean ask. Then the matter is cleared up & both seller & buyer are fully aware of what is being said. NEVER assume that a phrase means a specific thing, as has been posted in this thread various people have given what they THINK the phrase means but that doesn't mean that it does!

Always ask for clarification if there is something you don't understand. ;)