Sole use of a yard

Back with a bang

Visit site
Hi
I have 5 stables, a tack room and a 20 x 40 ménage that I want to rent out. I want someone to rent all the stables from me and manage the yard. The idea is that person would have five full liveries and would need to make a living out of it.

what would be a reasonable amount
To charge per week and would I need to include haylage? I’m based in South Wales.
Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Back with a bang

Visit site
I would be surprised if someone could make a living out of 5 liveries. Especially if they had a horse of their own, so down to 4 stables.
It would be £140 a week full livery so there would be money to be made, just need to know how much to charge weekly for the whole block and use of school. I have someone in mind who is a qualified instructor and they would also like to do lessons for people not on the yard.

The field is a generous size for five horses.

Thanks

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Hi
I have 5 stables, a tack room and a 20 x 40 ménage that I want to rent out. I want someone to rent all the stables from me and manage the yard. The idea is that person would have five full liveries and would need to make a living out of it.

what would be a reasonable amount
To charge per week and would I need to include haylage? I’m based in South Wales.
Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I’m not sure you can stipulate that they have liveries. Just offer it at market rate for whoever can afford it.

teapot

Visit site
It would be £140 a week full livery so there would be money to be made, just need to know how much to charge weekly for the whole block and use of school. I have someone in mind who is a qualified instructor and they would also like to do lessons for people not on the yard.

Thanks

How big is the field? One acre or ten? It'll also need equine planning permission use to run as a business too.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

Thanks
I would say they would have to do a lot of teaching too then, to make it work.

That would be £700 a week income, at the rate you think is viable.

Once you have taken the costs off, that would be scant. Even with cheap bedding, 2 bales a week, you are already down to £650 a week. More for feed and hay, £550 a week. If you charged only £200 a month, that is £2,400 a year, or £46 a week, approx. So, roughly £500 a week.

This doesn't include insurance, electricity, water, maintenance. We were already on £26,000 a year, with tax, ni etc to come off. Presumably professional registration fees too. Some cover would be required, no one is available 24/7 for full livery.

So yes, if they are also teaching, it may work, but you can see why I thought it wouldn't work with just 5 boxes for livery.

teapot

Visit site
We have other fields should we need to
Rotate

You will do. So you need to include those as part of the complete package. Can't comment on prices as don't know what market rate is in Wales.

Costs per month will also depend on who will be responsible for maintenance of buildings, surface, grazing, fencing etc.

chocolategirl

Visit site

Thanks
Who would be responsible for the cost of:
Fencing
Weed killer
Land management
Liability insurance
Electricity
Water
Rates (if applicable)

if that’s you, the owner, then yes, I’d say it’s possible to make money for someone, but you’d be out of pocket wouldn’t you? I’ve run my yard for 27 years nearly, we make all our own forage and bedding, we have all our own equipment for land management etc, we own don’t rent, and we still struggle to make money out if it ?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
you’ll need a minimum of 10 acres to offer year round turn out, which any yard that I know of in SW offers, as well as all the excellent points raised above. What area of SW is the yard in?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Most private yards charge X price round here. It's down to the yard renter to then decide how they will stock it and down to any contract as to what they are allowed and not permitted to do, maintenance is usually stipulated and listed out too.
X price is 'usually' arrived at by working out the local average cost of DIY per stable then adding a % on top for sole use.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

Thanks
How would one make money out of £140 pw x 5 = £700 pw. A groom/renter who is getting/paying themselves a basic tenner an hour for 3 hrs a day Monday to Saturday is going to gobble £220 a 6 day week

That's a complete non starter once utility bills, muck removal, bedding and fodder, feed, yard, arena and field maintenance and a wage are taken out, in fact anyone would be bonkers to do that at that price!

Last edited:

mariew

Visit site
Interesting everyone says 6.5 acres is not enough on 5 horses, that would be a luxury in most areas I have had horses in. Depends a bit on how wet and boggy it gets in the winter too.

I'd go with set a price you want depending on what is included like maintenance etc, and see who is interested. I would have thought the right single occupant would be far less hassle than someone with a load of liveries coming and going.

SEL

Visit site
I currently have 5 horses on 6.5 acres and it really isn't enough. We will be one horse less shortly and I track the fields in summer otherwise they wouldn't recover. 4 will be more than enough

A yard down the road from me with 6 acres, 4 stables, arena and container for storage was being offered at over £520 pcm plus water and electric. I'm in the South East and there was a queue of private owners wanting to lease it. But they can't run a business from it due to planning restrictions