Solo Hacking

Dyllymoo

Visit site
So what are the things you do/ take with you/ make sure of before you go out solo?

My main things are:

1) Tell OH what route I am doing, how long I should be and when I am setting off (deffo at old yard as no-one ever there, new yard I have done this and also told someone at the yard as well)
2) Put my hack tracker on
3) Make sure my phone has battery and put in my pocket
4) Make sure my hat camera is working

I don't tend to take anything else with me (like a whip) but someone did mention maybe I should take one more so for people than J which made me giggle and then worry!

What are your must dos/ make sure you have before you head out?

Widgeon

Visit site
At the moment I'm only hacking up to the village and back by myself because horse is new and I'm still getting to know him, but I would always tell OH where I was going, have a charged phone in my pocket, and TBH I wouldn't do it if there wasn't someone on the yard - i.e. if it was empty with no one else around when I was leaving. I'd like YO or another livery to be around because they would notice if I'd been gone longer than I should be. That's just me though, I'm quite risk averse and I realise that wouldn't work for many people as it assumes there are other people on the yard you can count on to keep an eye out for you.

P.S. what hatcam do you use?

ThreeWBs

Visit site
I take my phone, hi-viz jacket, a short whip tucked into my boots (just in case) and a pocket full of treats as a reward for good/brave behavior (horse is young).

Dyllymoo

Visit site
At the moment I'm only hacking up to the village and back by myself because horse is new and I'm still getting to know him, but I would always tell OH where I was going, have a charged phone in my pocket, and TBH I wouldn't do it if there wasn't someone on the yard - i.e. if it was empty with no one else around when I was leaving. I'd like YO or another livery to be around because they would notice if I'd been gone longer than I should be. That's just me though, I'm quite risk averse and I realise that wouldn't work for many people as it assumes there are other people on the yard you can count on to keep an eye out for you.

P.S. what hatcam do you use?

I always tell my OH length of hack (roughly) and where I'm going and then text/ call him when we get back (or normally he calls me and says... "Nice hack" and I say "Oh yes.... sorry!").

I got a Cambox camera (isi3 version) for my anniversary. Its very cool.

https://store.camboxhorse.com/en/

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Put my hi-vis tabard on and sometimes remember my phone. No point in telling anyone where I'm going as I rarely know myself when I set off. If I know I'm going a long way I might take a drink for me and some treats for pony.

J&S

Visit site
From home: Companion pony on a string, hi viz for both, phone some times, schooling whip to keep holiday makers at arm's length. Not usually out for any longer than 1 hour.
From Big Horse's home: Hi viz, probably take phone, no set plan usually.
Yesterday I was in more trouble walking the dog! Went to an area I had not visited for some years and with the lack of grass cutting, much taller trees and bushes I got completely lost and was wishing I had a compass.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Phone, hi-vis, crop, fly fringe in the summer. Sometimes give someone a rough idea of where I'm going/how long I'll be, but as others have said, often don't know myself!

Fransurrey

Visit site
From home: Companion pony on a string, hi viz for both, phone some times, schooling whip to keep holiday makers at arm's length. Not usually out for any longer than 1 hour.
From Big Horse's home: Hi viz, probably take phone, no set plan usually.
Yesterday I was in more trouble walking the dog! Went to an area I had not visited for some years and with the lack of grass cutting, much taller trees and bushes I got completely lost and was wishing I had a compass.
If you have a smartphone, there are numerous compass apps you can use (or open Strava up on record mode and that'll have one, too).

Hallo2012

Visit site
hi viz
phone
whip (for dogs not pony)
tell OH when i leave and approx return time
i have a tag that clips to saddle with ponys name on, my number and an ICE number and the same clipped to my jacket or belt loop on breeches in case we part company
go pro if im going on a long ride, i tend not to bother for a short tootle

Dyllymoo

Visit site
hi viz
phone
whip (for dogs not pony)
tell OH when i leave and approx return time
i have a tag that clips to saddle with ponys name on, my number and an ICE number and the same clipped to my jacket or belt loop on breeches in case we part company
go pro if im going on a long ride, i tend not to bother for a short tootle

Ooo I've been thinking about getting a tag for J's saddle, can I ask where you got yours?

stormox

Visit site
whip (just in case) .... high viz gilet (wearing)...... money (Snack stops)......phone (sometimes, if I remember)...... a piece of bale string (tack breakages)........I dont tell anyone where Im going.....

Chappie

Visit site
From home: Companion pony on a string

schooling whip to keep holiday makers at arm's length
?

Yesterday I was in more trouble walking the dog! Went to an area I had not visited for some years and with the lack of grass cutting, much taller trees and bushes I got completely lost and was wishing I had a compass. ?

I always have a well charged phone. And most crucially, substantial pocket of treats for brave/good behavior!

Hi vis: tabard and hat band for me and saddle pad and 4 leg wraps for cobbus. Every ride we get stopped and asked about it all by walkers! Drivers slow down out of curiosity more than anything.

Orange and yellow tags on bridle and saddle with contact details.

Good sturdy crop in case needed for napping, warning off loose dogs and sticking out at angle so drivers know to give room.

Nose net and flyspray.

Gloves and body protector, do wear them in school as well though.

Sometimes there's no one at the yard to tell when to expect us back but generally someone would be along shortly and notice if we weren't back - there's only two routes I'd go alone and they are both nearby and plenty people about. Too many sometimes!

Been thinking of getting a camera but it would need to be easy to use and lightweight or with the best of intentions I'll end up not using it.

Upthecreek

Visit site
The only thing I take without fail is a schooling whip due to a previous bad experience with an out of control dog that attacked my horse. I don’t hesitate to give them a whack if they come too close in an aggressive way.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
If I ride on my own which isn’t often lately I take my dog, he is chief scout. Other than that my phone, horse treats and a long stiff schooling whip which is good for poking the dog, pushing gates open and defence if required. I don’t have anyone to tell where I’m going so don’t bother but I mainly hack on well known routes.

Orangehorse

Visit site
For a normal exercising hack:
Phone
High Viz Tabard - me
High Viz leg wraps - horse
Knee boots (horse tripped a couple of times 18 months ago, needless to say that since putting on knee boots hasn't tripped again, but now don't want to leave them off)
The saddle has a little bag attached with my name and contact details, horse's name and vet contact details
Hoof pick
Dressage whip with pink high viz loop on the end, which is very useful for both front and rear approaching vehicles.
I also have an old cut-down walking stick which is very useful for gates, but it isn't long and it doesn't have the high viz bit at the end.

If going further afield, say out into the forest, I would probably take a bum bag with whistle (not always a good phone signal), snack, polos, money, first aid kit, etc. Maybe string halter, depends on how long I'm going out for. Map possibly. Can you tell I have done Trec?

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Horse has metal dog tag on saddle with my contact details on one side and vets details on other side.
Horse has Hi-Viz on reigns, nose band and legs.
Knee boots.
Whistle.
Bail twine.
Hoof Pick.
Polo Mints.
Small Camera.
Mobile Phone.
I wear long sleeved Hi-Viz Jacket and Hi-Viz Hat Band.
Schooling whip.
(Hack out for up to 7 hours)

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Thanks all, this has been really interesting.

We did our first solo hack into the country park/ woods last night (only 50 mins) and he was a little star. I did have all our normal hi vis on and an elderly gentleman commented on how colourful we were which was good and I thanked him!

I definitely would like to get some tags on me and J's saddle for ICE details though as I hadn't really thought about that.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
• High viz all round, even if not going on roads. Usually always: exercise sheet, leg bands and neck strap for pony and hat band, tabard/gilet/top or coat for me.
• Phone (with full battery)
• Short stick
• Hoof pick (as we are barefoot and our tracks can be very flinty/stony)

If going out for a long ride, then I use my saddle cloth with pockets and attach a bottle holder(s), and would take water and some snacks (or full on lunch) for me and pony).

I'd like to get some tags to put on pony's saddle and bridle.

Pedantic

Visit site
Go Pro, phone with Equilab app running, choccy bar down side of half chaps, BP and Hat always worn, Hi Viz martingale, spare lead rope clipped to rear d ring on saddle, normally some enthusiasm when heading out, some times the Will to live has been lost along the way when coming back, depending on who or what I encounter, drivers etc..

dorsetladette

Visit site
I take my phone (shoved in the side on my boot), with equilab running, hi vis (exercise sheet and jacket) and a schooling whip.

My schooling whip is fab - I found it in my dads garage while we were sorting through his things - its a bit longer than a modern one, but best of all its really thick (about an inch across at the handle end) which means that it is very visible to drivers. Hands down its my favourite thing right now - possibly because it was Dads!

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
High viz (of course) and my gloves to stop blisters because if its a solo hack i have my hands on the reins and death grip that three point breastplate and kick on and ride it like I've stole it! :D