soludox for horses ?????

lamehorse

Visit site
a girl on the yard had the vet out tonight for a horrendous wound . the vet gave her a strange yellow powder that is an antibiotic . i have never seen it before its called soludox , i just google it out of curiosity and it says its for pigs and chickens !!! i cant find anywhere that it says for use on horses . also it says not to use with impaired liver function , and liver is being tested on this horse !!! this is a very knowledgable and respected vet and im sure its fine but ????

TwoStroke

Visit site
I've had soludox prescribed by my vet on a number of occasions. It doesn't really agree with my TB, so I try and avoid it, though I have found it effective. My vets are very experienced equine vets, so I'm sure it's fine to use for horses.

lamehorse

Visit site
would there be a reason he prescribed this particular antibiotic , rather than the more popular ones ? ive used lots and seen lots used , but never this .

Silverfire

Visit site
Soludox is Doxycycline. My horse has been on Karidox for last few months with no probs. Karidox is doxycycline but a liquid, and also for pigs and chickens. Soludox is cheaper.

lamehorse

Visit site
he did ask if she was insured ! i hope it works as well if its cheaper . gonna tell her tomorrow that vet thinks her horse is a pig ! that should cheer her up ! :D

lamehorse

Visit site
well i have searched the internet and i can only find reference to pigs and chickens. farm animal antibiotics , im told , are normally a lot cheaper, as it comes in big tubs and they dish it into small bags. which is what this stuff is in. i thought at first that it was maybe a very strong antibiotic , he went to give her the usual trimosomething and then changed his mind . i wonder if its because shes not insured . but its a nasty wound . its really nothing to do with me , but i do like to be clued up on these things . makes me wonder if the treatment would be different if insurance was in place.

TwoStroke

Visit site
I found soludox more effective than the more popular Trimed, but the soludox did make my horse scour, which is why I now avoid it.

Silverfire

Visit site
I don't know anyone who has used soludox for horses, but i have given it to chickens. Doxycycline (soludox/karidox) is a Tetracycline. Where is the wound on the horse? A friends horse has just had doxycycline (karidox) for a leg injury. Doxycycline as well as an antibiotic is a very good anti inflammatory too (which is why its been so good for my horse), it is also a very powerful antibiotic which can reach places other antibiotics can't. Its only licensed for use in chickens and pigs but that doesn't mean it's not safe for horses. Karidox costs me £50 a bottle and that was doing my 400kg horse twice a day for 14 days. She's now on once a day. So depending on weight of horse it's probably not that cheap.

flaxen

Visit site
"well i have searched the internet and i can only find reference to pigs and chickens."

That is because soludox is not licensed for use in horses and shouldnt be given, that is why silverfire's horse was given karidox as this is the drug licensed for use in horses. The same reason why acp tablets shouldnt be dispensed anymore as sedalin is the equine licensed version of the same drug and the same as regumate, vets shouldnt be dispensing the porcine version when there is one licensed for use in horses.

A, the vet shouldnt be giving it to your friend as it hasnt been tested,

B, if he insisted your friend use it after explaining that it hasnt been licensed in horses she should have filled in and signed a drug off license form which says that she is aware of the risks involved.

I would be very surprised if any proper equine vet would now be dispensing the poultry or porcine version of doxycycline.

Ella19

Visit site
There is no liscenced alternative therefore the vet can use soludox. When I worked at an equine vets we had this on the shelf and it was regularly given out. Your friend should however have signed a form for its off liscenced use.

lamehorse

Visit site
im actually shocked . this is a vet that owns a very large influential practice . horse is still upright . he must know what he is doing ??? no one was asked to sign anything . i really dont understand this at all . i said to the owner to call him and ask but she wont .

RobinHood

Visit site
We had an elderly horse with a dental cavity infection and he was off his food. He had soludox because it was easy to syringe in his mouth mixed with icing sugar and danilon.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I think that you will find that there are a lot of medications used for horses that are not licenced for them, because the cost of the testing is such that the drug companies won't bother, as the market is too small, therefore the profit margin makes it not worth their while.

glenruby

Visit site
There is no obligation to have a form signed by the owner, it is merely a recommendation to protect the vet. Shows the client is aware that the product has not been tested on horses. Nothing to be shocked about. Doxy is a very useful ab and Ivan absolutely see why your vet has suggested it in this incidence. Rather than following the word of hho and getting yourself wound up, I suggest you do some real research on the drug.

Jools1234

Visit site
There is no obligation to have a form signed by the owner, it is merely a recommendation to protect the vet. Shows the client is aware that the product has not been tested on horses. Nothing to be shocked about. Doxy is a very useful ab and Ivan absolutely see why your vet has suggested it in this incidence. Rather than following the word of hho and getting yourself wound up, I suggest you do some real research on the drug.

^this^ and most off liscence drugs have not been tested in a lab but have been used extensively for yrs on animals they are not liscenced for so have been tested in the 'real' world

Bertolie

Visit site
I had a horse that was involved in a RTA. The vet called to the scene was not my vet practice but a very well known practice in Gloucestershire. We were given Soludox on discharge from vet hospital but were not told it was not licences for use in horses. Horse wouldn't touch the stuff and my own vet gave Noradine instead which horse would happily take. Horse was not insured so perhaps this was why he was given Soludox?

lamehorse

Visit site
glenruby i have done many internet searches and i cannot see it mentioned for horses anywhere . i have downdloaded stuff from the chemical companies and allsorts ! ( i do do some work in between !) im not exactly worked up , its not my horse , however we do use the same vet and im shocked that he would put himself in the firing line , so to speak. i know of one well known animal pharmaceutical company that got into big trouble selling unlicensed wormers ( unlicensed for donkeys).

glenruby

Visit site
Try searching doxycycline rather than karidox or soludox. A vet is permitted to use a drug licenced for another animal species under the cascade system if there is no equivilant product licenced for horses. For this reason he must prescribe a product designed for an animal (even a chicken ) rather than a human product. So what he has done is perfectly legitimate. There is such a limited number of oral antibiotics available to horse owners and doxy should be used more often.

Silverfire

Visit site
Doxycycline http://equimed.com/drugs-and-medications/reference/doxycycline-hyclate

lamehorse if you do a search on this forum you will find lots of people have used karidox and some soludox. The only difference between soludox and karidox is that soludox is a powder and karidox a liquid. I searched the internet a few months ago for side effects for long term use of karidox/doxycycline (6 months use) and found nothing, so if your friends horse is only on it a little while then you have nothing to worry about. No vet would give an unsafe drug to a horse just because its cheaper.