SOLUTION SADDLE DRAMATIC TEST RIDE

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It was very obvious that my mare preferred the Solution. As it happened she was waiting for the vet to arrive, as she had a sore eye (which turned out to be an ulcer, we think she had poked herself with a stick in the field). We didn't actually do a lot in the Solution because I wasn't really happy riding her while waiting for the vet but the fitter was on the premises and it would have been a long wait for another visit. Mare went much more freely than in the 4 (5?) treed saddles that we had had previously, as it freed her enormous shoulders.

paddy555

Visit site
I have no experience of solution saddles but I did see such a considerable difference in a horse. I was asked to take my treeless Sportsaddle to a Western yard where there was a horse with problems. Change from it's western saddle to my saddle and the difference was quite remarkable. So a dramatic change is very possible and in this case happened very quickly.. I hope your change was good.

ApacheWarrior1

Visit site
I have no experience of solution saddles but I did see such a considerable difference in a horse. I was asked to take my treeless Sportsaddle to a Western yard where there was a horse with problems. Change from it's western saddle to my saddle and the difference was quite remarkable. So a dramatic change is very possible and in this case happened very quickly.. I hope your change was good.

ApacheWarrior1

Visit site
… It was a bit too good...?? my ploddy cobby that grunts at the thought of work suddenly turned into an even bouncier trotting pony who gave little squeals of delight - much to my horror!!! it actually scared me, but I now feel guilty as I know he must have been struggling a bit in his other saddle....even though that saddle was still a decent fit for him....

ApacheWarrior1

Visit site
It was very obvious that my mare preferred the Solution. As it happened she was waiting for the vet to arrive, as she had a sore eye (which turned out to be an ulcer, we think she had poked herself with a stick in the field). We didn't actually do a lot in the Solution because I wasn't really happy riding her while waiting for the vet but the fitter was on the premises and it would have been a long wait for another visit. Mare went much more freely than in the 4 (5?) treed saddles that we had had previously, as it freed her enormous shoulders.

ApacheWarrior1

Visit site
Thank you yes I got a dramatically livelier cobby than I usually get ….. he was even squealing in delight when transitioning to trot!!! so much so it frightened me …. and I walked away from the rest of the test ride ….. but is it fair to ride him now knowing he is not so comfortable in his current saddle..... hmmmm opened a real can of worms here....

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I used to work for them, and I can honestly say no horse went worse in them and most showed a significant improvement, if not dramatic.

The most common response from the horse was a deep breath in and a big sigh out.

It was also normal for the rider to feel a bit uneasy at the combination of a freer, bigger moving horse and a fully flexible saddle that doesn’t hold you between the blocks and the cantle.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have seen a lot of horses change a huge amount in a very short time once taken out of a fixed tree and put in anything that allowed the shoulders to swing, be that treeless, reactorpanel, half tree or WOW. So much so that I vowed never to ride a horse of mine in a fixed tree ever again.,

southerncomfort

Visit site
What sort of horses do they suit?

I'm really struggling to find anything that fits my Fell pony.

Currently searching for a Black Country but very few come up second hand in pony sizes. Especially in extra wide!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have had a couple of them, but the older ones with a wide gullet. My 2 horses doesn't get on with the newer style with the narrower gullet.

I had a pressure map test with the narrower gullet, there was a definite pressure ridge. My horses knew that.

I tried WOW, didn't like them, even though I tried 3 fittings with 2 different fitters.

The one my horse liked best as a Barrie Swain Semiflex. That allows the shoulders to move, looks like a 'normal' saddle and is secure like a normal saddle. Sadly, he has gone out of business, but they are still freely available second hand. As soon as Jay had it on his back, it was as though 6 months of schooling had been done.

Wheels

Visit site
Yes a saddle can make a dramatic difference - even a different treed saddle can make a huge difference.

But... are you sure he was squealing with glee? seems a bit of an odd response and being very forwards when they aren't usually doesn't necessarily mean that he liked it more, might have been trying to get away from it :D

Having said that I do like solution saddles, I have used them on my connemara although recently went back to treed saddles because the solutions weren't working very well any more (had a dressage and a jump) and he never did like the Wow's very much (to my dismay I have to say as I love them)

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I had a pressure map test with the narrower gullet, there was a definite pressure ridge. My horses knew that.

I can't understand why the channel is so narrow, I know plenty of horses are fine with it, but it seems crazy to make them narrower than many spines.

Yes a saddle can make a dramatic difference - even a different treed saddle can make a huge difference.

But... are you sure he was squealing with glee? seems a bit of an odd response and being very forwards when they aren't usually doesn't necessarily mean that he liked it more, might have been trying to get away from it :D

Horses can run from uncomfortable saddles, more forwards is not always a good thing. Can you trial one properly over 14 days without commitment (beyond wear and tear)?

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I have had a couple of them, but the older ones with a wide gullet. My 2 horses doesn't get on with the newer style with the narrower gullet.

I won't use the Smart versions, I still use the originals. The original original, the Energist, has no gullet, and most horses actually prefer it, but is has a flatter feel and is trickier to ride in, which is why the gulleted ones were developed to appeal to more owners.

catkin

Visit site
What sort of horses do they suit?

I'm really struggling to find anything that fits my Fell pony.

Currently searching for a Black Country but very few come up second hand in pony sizes. Especially in extra wide!
l

I ride my 13.3 Fell in solutions saddles. The one we've had the longest is the old Energist design - Fellboy is happy in it but be warned it is wide in the twist. I like it a lot as it can be tweaked to fit as he changes shape seasonally. My ancient knees need to be hitched up on shorter stirrups now and again (and Fellboy likes some jumpies) so we've now got a Native GP as well - not had it long but so far so good.

Would recommend that you get a solutions saddle fitter to help you decide what model may fit and how to balance it - they do need to be fitted properly and it's not quite the same as other saddles need to fit. Not all models fit all horses - my Fellboy was most adamant about what he liked, and what he didn't!
Also you can have a trial to make sure that you both are comfortable - we tried to do most things in it during the trial period - lessons, steep hills, all paces etc etc. I was already fairly familiar with the saddles and I learnt loads and needed to 'get my eye in' with the new one.

southerncomfort

Visit site
l

I ride my 13.3 Fell in solutions saddles. The one we've had the longest is the old Energist design - Fellboy is happy in it but be warned it is wide in the twist. I like it a lot as it can be tweaked to fit as he changes shape seasonally. My ancient knees need to be hitched up on shorter stirrups now and again (and Fellboy likes some jumpies) so we've now got a Native GP as well - not had it long but so far so good.

Would recommend that you get a solutions saddle fitter to help you decide what model may fit and how to balance it - they do need to be fitted properly and it's not quite the same as other saddles need to fit. Not all models fit all horses - my Fellboy was most adamant about what he liked, and what he didn't!
Also you can have a trial to make sure that you both are comfortable - we tried to do most things in it during the trial period - lessons, steep hills, all paces etc etc. I was already fairly familiar with the saddles and I learnt loads and needed to 'get my eye in' with the new one.

Thats really helpful. Thank you!

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Yes, I had a Solution trial, fitter had brought one with a native base one with a pro base. Tried the pro base first as that's what fitter thought suited his back profile better, cue horse rushing in trot and bucking in canter which he does not do! Tried native base no problems.

smiggy

Visit site
I fell off my pony for the first time ever as she tripped and the bloody thing went straight up her neck ??

Red-1

Visit site
I fell off my pony for the first time ever as she tripped and the bloody thing went straight up her neck ??
I know someone who fell off sideways when they bent down to do a gate. I guess that could be why they brought in the tighter gullet? Not them specifically, but I guess they won't be the only ones.

The horses do go better in the though!

Red-1

Visit site
I won't use the Smart versions, I still use the originals. The original original, the Energist, has no gullet, and most horses actually prefer it, but is has a flatter feel and is trickier to ride in, which is why the gulleted ones were developed to appeal to more owners.

I did have one of them with no gullet at all, but found it uncomfortable in that I seemed to lose my position. I found the wider gullets to be a good compromise.

[59668]

Visit site
Yup I tried one on a Connie I had. Dramatic is the word. Took off bucking and took about 2 circuits of the arena to pull up. I got off and said no thanks.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I've never tried a solution - the narrow gullet issue puts me completely off them, but my mare was instantly much happier and free moving in the demo Fairfax classic dressage. She has a wide backbone, and the saddle fitter pointed out that her existing Ideal Event, though the gullet was not especially narrow, was pinching it. She needs a wide gullet. Chiro vet was present at the saddle fittine, as wonky mare is a bit speshul, and agreed.

I'd had the Ideal for 3 years, and had the fitting checked many times by another saddle fitter :rolleyes:.

When my new Fairfax Classic GPD arrived (same tree, fitting etc) she continued to be happier. There is one spot on our hacks where there is quite a steep hill up then we turn off left into a narrow quiet lane. She had always been joggy and snorty on the quiet lane, but since the Fairfax came she's been fine and relaxed there. The Ideal must have been pinching her after the climb.

Going back to the OP, I'd be a bit concerned about the extra forwards and the squealing, that may not be unqualified approval by the horse. There are (or were before Covid) a lot of nearly new Solution saddles for sale, which says a lot about them, I think.

Last edited:

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
The thing about the gullets is that the purpose and function in these saddles is totally different to a treed saddle. The saddle flexes and spreads high a treed saddle/fixed gullet doesn’t.

Having said that, it’s why I prefer the original Solutions because they are truly fully flexible, whereas the Smart models were meant to appeal to people wanting a traditional look and therefore need to be more structured. And now you’re into all the different bases and models to accommodate that.

Like I say, I’ve used the originals, and nothing else, on countless (I really have lost count) horses over the past 15/16 years, some of them were backed in treeless and never had a treed saddle near them. Others, particularly schoolers and many with loads of issues, have swapped straight into treeless and improved instantly.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Interestingly, mares tend to be more suspicious of them than geldings, but I’ve never seen a “bad” dramatic reaction to one.

Mine was a mare and she loved it. Over time I did have problems with the shims slipping but I managed to work around that with velcro. Sister's appaloosa mare went better in her Solution saddle than in either of the 2 saddles that she previously wore.